Author Topic: Graham: Trump 'open-minded' to wedding border funding to DACA protections  (Read 857 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Graham: Trump 'open-minded' to wedding border funding to DACA protections
By Brett Samuels - 12/30/18 04:46 PM EST

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said Sunday that President Trump is "open-minded" but noncommittal about a potential deal that would include border security funding and offer protections for young immigrants that Graham has floated to resolve the ongoing government shutdown.

Graham said Trump remained adamant that any agreement must include money for the president's desired wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Graham told reporters outside the White House that he spoke with Trump about a possible arrangement that would include $5 billion for border security, renewable work permits for beneficiaries of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program and visas for thousands of individuals on temporary permits.

Graham had a private lunch with the president hours after he suggested on a Sunday show that such a deal could break the impasse that has led to a partial government shutdown.

Democrats earlier this year expressed willingness to provide wall funding in exchange for protections for those who benefit from DACA, known as Dreamers, but the deal collapsed after Trump said he would no longer accept the deal.

The Trump administration rescinded DACA last year.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/423271-graham-trump-open-minded-to-border-funding-deal-that-includes-daca
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Graham: Trump 'open-minded' to wedding border funding to DACA protections
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 11:39:04 pm »
This is a hard one. I could see letting someone who say, came here at 6 illegally and has been here all their lives, stay in exchange for a border wall and other immigration restrictions.

Problem is I'm real skeptical that when the sausage is made, that it will be set up like that.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 11:50:31 pm »
If nonessential federal workers actually lost their pay for these shutdowns and didn't get back pay later the Dem's would make a deal real fast. Federal workers are overwhelmingly Democrat. These shutdowns need to cost real money. As is it is just deferred paid vacation for federal workers.

If Trump had real balls he'd say the government is shutdown until congress provides the constitutionally required federal budget for him to sign or veto instead of these B.S. continuing resolutions that bypass numerous budget rules.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 11:58:12 pm »
This is a hard one. I could see letting someone who say, came here at 6 illegally and has been here all their lives, stay in exchange for a border wall and other immigration restrictions.

Problem is I'm real skeptical that when the sausage is made, that it will be set up like that.

Nah, it's easy.  We give them "DACA", they fund the wall.  Then they tie up the wall in environmental impact studies, etc, until the funding expires.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 12:02:58 am »
Lindsey Graham is a weasel who still wants amnesty.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 12:04:48 am »
Nah, it's easy.  We give them "DACA", they fund the wall.  Then they tie up the wall in environmental impact studies, etc, until the funding expires.

As I said, it wil likely not end up the way we want it to work out.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 12:07:14 am »
NO DACA.  To allow that to remain in tact means also allowing their sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc., to come here. To allow DACA means expanding the DEM voting base. Because of deals like DACA and allowing continued illegal immigration, asylum and granting refugee status, the DEM voting base will continue to expand and eventually, mathematically it WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE for the GOP to win seats in Congress and the oval office.

I don't know what part of that scenario people don't get.

The President needs to deliver on the wall as promised period.  NO DACA.  No amnesty.  No asylum.  No refugees.  Build the darn wall Mr. President and start massive deportation.  Anything short of this will not resolve our immigration problems, but only add to it!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 12:12:27 am »
libertybele, you're right.

"In any compromise between good and evil, it is only evil that can profit"

- AYN RAND

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 12:13:51 am »
NO DACA.  To allow that to remain in tact means also allowing their sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc., to come here. To allow DACA means expanding the DEM voting base. Because of deals like DACA and allowing continued illegal immigration, asylum and granting refugee status, the DEM voting base will continue to expand and eventually, mathematically it WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE for the GOP to win seats in Congress and the oval office.

I don't know what part of that scenario people don't get.

The President needs to deliver on the wall as promised period.  NO DACA.  No amnesty.  No asylum.  No refugees.  Build the darn wall Mr. President and start massive deportation.  Anything short of this will not resolve our immigration problems, but only add to it!!

Exactly what Lindsey Graham is pushing.  I agree with you whole heartedly.

Lindsey Grahamnesty is back with a DACA deal Republicans would be fools to take

Chris Pandolfo  · October 16, 2018   

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/lindsey-grahamnesty-is-back-with-a-daca-deal-republicans-would-be-fools-to-take/
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:14:30 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 12:18:21 am »
Exactly what Lindsey Graham is pushing.  I agree with you whole heartedly.

Lindsey Grahamnesty is back with a DACA deal Republicans would be fools to take

Chris Pandolfo  · October 16, 2018   

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/lindsey-grahamnesty-is-back-with-a-daca-deal-republicans-would-be-fools-to-take/

Time and time again, the GOP loses because they try to appease the left in hopes to get something.  They need to put on their big boy pants, pull up their boot straps and DEMAND border security in the name of National Security period.  Unfortunately it doesn't help that the GOP is full of squishy, gutless, wishy-washy politicians (RINO's).
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 12:56:17 am »
Unfortunately, this looks to be the same way as done in the past, the Republicans won't get it done.

Rush seemed to be saying, before the next congress is sworn in, Republicans still have the votes to pass it and get the President to sign it. I don't know if that is so.  The same ol' stalemate. Why will this time be different?  The shutdown? We can hope.

http://ktar.com/story/2366438/immigration-reform-likely-to-make-limited-gains-in-next-congress/

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 01:12:29 am »
Time and time again, the GOP loses because they try to appease the left in hopes to get something.  They need to put on their big boy pants, pull up their boot straps and DEMAND border security in the name of National Security period.  Unfortunately it doesn't help that the GOP is full of squishy, gutless, wishy-washy politicians (RINO's).

Squishy, gutless, wishy-washy..............  Good descriptions.  It seems so obvious.  The glaring truths about open border and crime.  Evident in every major city, and within our own homes regardless of race and class.  Hardly anyone who has not been touched by the crisis that this country is in.  Who is paying them off?