Author Topic: PTSD Drug May Do More Harm Than Good  (Read 1091 times)

rangerrebew

PTSD Drug May Do More Harm Than Good
« on: December 30, 2018, 12:39:52 pm »
PTSD Drug May Do More Harm Than Good

By Robert Preidt

THURSDAY, Dec. 27, 2018 (HealthDay News) -- A drug used to treat post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) may actually be harmful, a new study suggests.

The high blood pressure drug prazosin is sometimes used to treat PTSD-related nightmares and insomnia that can increase suicide risk. But this small study suggests the drug may make nightmares and insomnia worse and not reduce suicidal thoughts in PTSD patients.

"I think we have to view this as not the final word on this, but it raises questions," said study author Dr. W. Vaughn McCall. He's chairman of psychiatry and health behavior at the Medical College of Georgia.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20181227/ptsd-drug-may-do-more-harm-than-good

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: PTSD Drug May Do More Harm Than Good
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 03:20:45 pm »
It certainly wouldn't be the first time that happened!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 04:23:14 pm »
Bookmark
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 04:35:02 pm »
@mystery-ak
@Freya
@Cyber Liberty
@rangerrebew

Don't take Lyrica for spinal stenosis pain, fibromyalgia pain, diabetic pain.  In rats, it stops extra electricity in the brain that causes pain, stops pain from the spine.  THEY DON'T KNOW WHY IT WORKS IN HUMANS AS NO HUMAN STUDIES HAVE BEEN DONE. 

My orthopedic/pain doctor gave me Lyrica for cervical stenosis pain, one pill at night and one in the morning, saying it could cause brain confusion and get in touch with him if it did.  It did, I couldn't write because I couldn't spell words anymore (maybe the rats couldn't spell either), but the worst was it was causing me to pass out and fall or falling without passing out.  One time I slept 15 hours, another time I went 24 yrs. without being able to sleep.  After falling three times, I stopped the pills.

I am serious when I tell you not to take Lyrica.  Why would Lyrica be on the market when NO human studies have been done?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 04:37:47 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 04:37:35 pm »
I just shake my head when I see an ad for some antidepressant and the voiceover warns that the drug may cause suicidal thoughts or actions.  Hello?  What good is an antidepressant that makes me want to kill myself when I might feel so depressed, I want to end it all anyway? 

Seems to me we really don't know a whole helluva lot about the workings of the brain, which may be why we have all the mental health issues out there.  There doesn't seem to be any effective treatment for mental illness because we don't know a lot about it.  And it appears that no one wants to know either -- certainly, not our powers that be in DC anyway.  They would rather squander our tax dollars on stupid things and take guns away from law abiding citizens than really address the underlying mental health problems themselves.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 04:38:02 pm »
@Victoria33

Once. A long time ago a pharmacist gave me Lyrica instead of lithium. I caught it when I went home and returned it.

It didn’t even look like the right drug. Stupid mistake!

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 04:39:41 pm »
@Applewood all antidepressants have “blackbox” warnings on them now explaining that. It’s a catch 22. Acne medicine has the same warning.
@Victoria33
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 04:40:33 pm by Freya »

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 05:18:42 pm »
They're all charlatans and quacks anyway.

Look at the sewer this crap crawled up out of.

https://psychroaches.blogspot.com/search/label/Theosophy
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 05:56:01 pm »
I just shake my head when I see an ad for some antidepressant and the voiceover warns that the drug may cause suicidal thoughts or actions.  Hello?  What good is an antidepressant that makes me want to kill myself when I might feel so depressed, I want to end it all anyway? 
Exactly. That's only slightly less stupid than the pharmaceutical ads that tell you not to take such-and-such if you're allergic to the ingredients. How might one know that in advance, I wonder?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 07:39:33 pm »
Exactly. That's only slightly less stupid than the pharmaceutical ads that tell you not to take such-and-such if you're allergic to the ingredients. How might one know that in advance, I wonder?
In a deep serious voice:
Do not take Kilummal if you are allergic to Kilummal.

I specifically refused all those psychotropic drugs from the VA. Just don't trust them. Too many cases of people taking these drugs and then going on a killing spree. I don't want to take some drug that is going to affect my brain in ways which are not really predictable.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:34:43 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.