Author Topic: Should the Army look at creating heavy-light infantry combinations for the near-peer fight? This cap  (Read 442 times)

rangerrebew

Should the Army look at creating heavy-light infantry combinations for the near-peer fight? This captain thinks so.
By: Todd South  

While every effort has been made to lighten the combat load on the infantryman, one Army captain has floated the idea of a return to the ancient and medieval structures of light and heavy infantry to meet the variety of modern battlefield needs.

And the balance between protection and mobility in something as intimate as body armor can provide a window into large considerations for how the modern Army might have to fight.

Capt. Matthew Allgeyer, assistant plans officer for 1st Battalion, 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, laid out his plan in Infantry Magazine this past year.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/12/28/should-the-army-look-at-creating-heavy-light-infantry-combinations-for-the-near-peer-fight-this-captain-thinks-so/
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:41:53 am by rangerrebew »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I am a "small team" guy,so I am not really sure I completely understand the concept,but my understanding is this wouldn't work at a division level because of too much confusion,but would probably work great for a deployed Corps where some units were desiginated "light" and some "heavy".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!