Author Topic: A Shutdown to Nowhere - The Editors, Naitonal Review  (Read 535 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
A Shutdown to Nowhere - The Editors, Naitonal Review
« on: December 26, 2018, 05:41:37 pm »
A Shutdown to Nowhere | National Review

The hope of achieving major policy goals via a government shutdown usually involves a huge dollop of wishful thinking. This time is no different.

President Trump wants to come out the other end of this (very) partial shutdown with substantially more funding for a border wall, but everything is set up for a disappointment.

The first rule for winning a government-shutdown battle is not to take responsibility for the shutdown, which Trump did in his Oval Office confrontation with Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer a week or so ago. Having gone on the record about how proud he’d be to shut down the government over border security, his subsequent attempts to blame the Democrats have gotten no traction (even if the Democrats are, indeed, wholly recalcitrant on the wall).

Read more at: https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/12/government-shutdown-trump-border-wall-funding-fight/

I've been wondering about how this will turn out.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: A Shutdown to Nowhere - The Editors, Naitonal Review
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 05:54:01 pm »
The first rule for winning a government-shutdown battle is not to take responsibility for the shutdown, which Trump did in his Oval Office confrontation with Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer a week or so ago.

Normally that is true.  Trump ain't normal.  I have no idea how this will turn out, and I don't think the editors at NR do either.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 06:10:36 pm »
I said at the time. He needs to continue to embrace it. Own it. Shout it from the bully pulpit. And rub Chuckie and Nan's face in it 24/7
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 06:16:39 pm »
Thought the NR 'editors' were away on a Cruise.