Author Topic: Pentagon Considers Using Special Operations Forces to Continue Mission in Syria  (Read 635 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Pentagon Considers Using Special Operations Forces to Continue Mission in Syria

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon is considering using small teams of Special Operations forces to strike the Islamic State in Syria, one option for continuing an American military mission there despite President Trump’s order to withdraw troops from the country.

The American commandos would be shifted to neighboring Iraq, where an estimated 5,000 United States forces are already deployed, and “surge” into Syria for specific raids, according to two military officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The strike teams are one of several options — including continued airstrikes and resupplying allied Kurdish fighters with arms and equipment — in a new strategy for Syria that the Pentagon is developing as officials follow the order Mr. Trump gave on Wednesday for a military drawdown even as it tries to maintain pressure on the Islamic State.

Read more at: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/21/us/politics/pentagon-syria-iraq-kurds.html

Offline RetBobbyMI

What part of POTUS directive of “get them outta there” does DoD not understand.  Maybe that is why he isn’t tolerating Mattis staying.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Slimes.   Fake news story.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Oceander

If true, I rather doubt this is without Trump’s acquiescence. 

Offline berdie

If true, I rather doubt this is without Trump’s acquiescence.

And if true...why announce it?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I really hope this isn't true. Those fools obviously don't understand the value of SOF teams,or understand the years of training and experience it takes for for a new member to be considered competent enough to become a replacement team member.

You keep bleeding them out,you end up deploying inexperienced teams that are MUCH more likely to screw up and get captured or killed.

Anyone else remember that SAS team that was inserted in the Muddle East during one of the various wars there,and even the team leader was so inexperienced/incompetent he went in without even running a radio check first,and ended up on the ground with a radio that didn't work? Not only didn't they accomplish their mission,they ended up having to walk out of the country.

Not just anybody has the skills or the temperment to do that sort of thing and survive.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Oceander

And if true...why announce it?

True as well.

Offline Frank Cannon

What part of POTUS directive of “get them outta there” does DoD not understand.  Maybe that is why he isn’t tolerating Mattis staying.

This is what is wrong with the Govt' in modern times. Even if an elected official makes a decision on a topic the Deep Statee careerists just overrule it and go about their days business as usual.

I wonder if previous Presidents went along with these regime change ideas not because they believed in them but because they  figured it was going to happen anyway and didn't want to look out of the loop.