Author Topic: Shutdown on the way as Senate adjourns with no deal in sight  (Read 869 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Shutdown on the way as Senate adjourns with no deal in sight
« on: December 22, 2018, 02:53:45 am »
Shutdown on the way as Senate adjourns with no deal in sight
by Pete Kasperowicz
 | December 21, 2018 08:20 PM

Parts of the federal government were headed for a shutdown after midnight on Friday as the Senate adjourned without any spending deal in sight.

Senators and top members of the Trump administration were negotiating throughout the day to find a spending deal, but they couldn't get close enough.

The Senate adjourned shortly after 8 p.m., and was set to return Saturday at noon in the hopes a deal will be in sight then. But funding for several federal agencies expires at midnight, and hundreds of thousands of federal workers will go without pay until an agreement is reached.

Republicans and Democrats were unable to resolve a dispute over whether to spend $5 billion to build a border wall demanded by President Trump. The House passed a bill giving Trump his money, but the Senate was doomed to stall on the bill due to objections from Democrats.

The Senate adjourned after it voted to start work on the bill, but didn't bother holding another key vote to pass it.

Without a deal, DHS will run out of funding, along with the Departments of Treasury, Commerce, State, and others.

But many DHS officials are deemed to be "essential," which means they will continue working even during the shutdown, without pay. Congress normally restores lost pay to workers at the end of each shutdown.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/shutdown-on-the-way-as-senate-adjourns-with-no-deal-in-sight
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Victoria33

Re: Shutdown on the way as Senate adjourns with no deal in sight
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 03:11:29 am »
@mystery-ak

We have a guest from Wales, United Kingdom, staying with us.  She said she thought Brexit was a problem for them but we have a bigger problem with our government shutting down and she is here to see it happen. 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 04:09:28 am »
I do wish we had enough responsible people running this country that when this happens, no one gets paid that do not show up for work, instead of being furloughed with pay, essentially giving hundreds of thousands federal employees an early Christmas vacation.

The rest of us should be so lucky.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 05:28:30 am »
On the bright side we are much safer as a country with the "not funded" agencies being shut down. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 05:42:10 am »
On the bright side we are much safer as a country with the "not funded" agencies being shut down.

The government is officially shutdown.  I can go to sleep now.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 05:48:25 am »
The government is officially shutdown.  I can go to sleep now.

I will sleep tight in the knowledge that we are going to be unaffected by this.

I ain't so sure
About this place
It's hard to play a gig in this town
And keep a straight face
Seems like everyone here's got a plan
It's kind of like nashville with a tan, but,

Everything's gonna be all right
Rockabye, rockabye
Everything's gonna be all right
Rockabye, rockabye
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 07:21:47 am »
Bookmark.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 07:35:30 am »
I do wish we had enough responsible people running this country that when this happens, no one gets paid that do not show up for work, instead of being furloughed with pay, essentially giving hundreds of thousands federal employees an early Christmas vacation.

The rest of us should be so lucky.

I guess I'm one of those lucky ones, old vet lucked into a part time Fed job, got a few bucks at it and need that check that won't be there Friday...

Interesting how all the financially secure  assh*les like the assh*le who is proud to own this has duped so many..as I've said before who knew the anti Christ would have orange hair.. :shrug:

Or for those who don't see that angle I wonder how a nation that won WW2 can't pay their employees a few generations later ....maybe they should pass another useless law  :shrug:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 08:06:58 am by montanajoe »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 02:10:11 pm »
I guess I'm one of those lucky ones, old vet lucked into a part time Fed job, got a few bucks at it and need that check that won't be there Friday...

Interesting how all the financially secure  assh*les like the assh*le who is proud to own this has duped so many..as I've said before who knew the anti Christ would have orange hair.. :shrug:

Or for those who don't see that angle I wonder how a nation that won WW2 can't pay their employees a few generations later ....maybe they should pass another useless law  :shrug:
Am sorry about the paycheck, but you should be blaming the senior Senator from NY for the shutdown instead of DT.

Donnie has stayed the course in his pledges made during his election, while Chuckie is the one who has done a 180.

FLASHBACK: THAT TIME ALL OF AMERICA’S TOP DEMS VOTED TO FUND BUSH’S BORDER WALL
https://dailycaller.com/2016/11/15/flashback-that-time-all-of-americas-top-dems-voted-to-fund-bushs-border-wall/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington