Author Topic: Live: House votes on spending bill with $5 billion for border wall  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Live: House votes on spending bill with $5 billion for border wall
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2018, 12:05:31 am »
If there is a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory....the GOP senate will find it.

If they can't at least get on record a cloture vote with 50 Senators voting in favor of, then they will have done exactly that.  They will have lost a guaranteed win
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2018, 01:10:36 am »
That already happened.
Where is your source @Hoodat ?

I just checked FoxNews and spending bill retains the wall funding.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2018, 01:51:46 am »
You have bad information, as I just got this from Breitbart

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/12/21/senate-advances-house-spending-bill-with-wall-funding/

@IsailedawayfromFR

It is my understanding that the House passed the original Senate bill with the addition of the wall money.  So in essence, the Senate has already passed what the House passed, minus the wall money.  So there is no point for the Senate to strip the wall money and pass the bill because they have already passed that same bill.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2018, 04:06:50 am »
@IsailedawayfromFR

It is my understanding that the House passed the original Senate bill with the addition of the wall money.  So in essence, the Senate has already passed what the House passed, minus the wall money.  So there is no point for the Senate to strip the wall money and pass the bill because they have already passed that same bill.
The bill was not passed.  It was simply voted on to continue discussion, and was not voted on for approval.

Government headed for partial shutdown at midnight, as lawmakers leave Capitol without deal

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/government-headed-for-partial-shutdown-at-midnight-as-lawmakers-leave-capitol-without-deal

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2018, 02:12:46 pm »
Senate passes stopgap resolution to avoid government shutdown
Fake news as all other news outlets have the government already partially shutdown.

Never trust a peacock.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2018, 03:14:48 pm »
The government shut down because the Senate and House versions were not the same, in that the House version contained the Senate version plus an additional $13 billion in spending.

So if the Senate then stripped that additional spending from the House bill, they would be left with a bill they already passed.

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2018, 01:59:10 am »
The government shut down because the Senate and House versions were not the same, in that the House version contained the Senate version plus an additional $13 billion in spending.

So if the Senate then stripped that additional spending from the House bill, they would be left with a bill they already passed.
The Origination clause of the Constitution does not allow the Senate to initiate any spending bills.  Instead, they must originate in the House, then reviewed by the Senate.

I do not know what you call the 'Senate version' of the appropriations bill.  It by law must be from what was passed by the House.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2018, 02:32:56 am »
The Origination clause of the Constitution does not allow the Senate to initiate any spending bills.  Instead, they must originate in the House, then reviewed by the Senate.

I do not know what you call the 'Senate version' of the appropriations bill.  It by law must be from what was passed by the House.

Yes, I am aware of what the Constitution says.  I had assumed that they had discarded that part after Obamacare was "deemed" passed by the Senate.  Maybe the bill was some meaningless bill already passed by the House and stripped clean to be used by the Senate for whatever they wish.  But the Senate sure acted like the bill was legit, because they passed it, sent it to the House, and then made plans for home.

I completely agree with your interpretation of the Constitution as it pertains to legislative origination.  But that does not change the fact that the Senate already took a vote on the House bill minus wall money and disaster relief.  Thus, they would see no need to take the House bill and strip it of that wall/disaster relief funding before passing it since they already passed an identical bill.

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2018, 02:04:29 am »
Yes, I am aware of what the Constitution says.  I had assumed that they had discarded that part after Obamacare was "deemed" passed by the Senate.  Maybe the bill was some meaningless bill already passed by the House and stripped clean to be used by the Senate for whatever they wish.  But the Senate sure acted like the bill was legit, because they passed it, sent it to the House, and then made plans for home.

I completely agree with your interpretation of the Constitution as it pertains to legislative origination.  But that does not change the fact that the Senate already took a vote on the House bill minus wall money and disaster relief.  Thus, they would see no need to take the House bill and strip it of that wall/disaster relief funding before passing it since they already passed an identical bill.
What you call a fact cannot be found in Senate records, nor in the Congressional votes database.

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/votes.htm

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes

Once again, you are dealing with fake news.

Never trust a peacock.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2018, 06:39:23 am »
A voice vote would not show up in a roll call list.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2018, 12:35:59 pm »
Then McConnell IS the blame for no wall.  Not Trump's.  Not Ryan's.  Not the GOP in general.  But McConnell.

@libertybele

Mitch the bitch strikes again.

Maybe someone should have told him it was the Great Wall of China that was being voted on so he would make sure it passed?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2018, 02:05:42 pm »
A voice vote would not show up in a roll call list.
Do you believe that a voice vote only was taken to approve an appropriation budget?

Between that and a peacock, that is pretty slim territory.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2018, 05:44:55 pm »
Do you believe that a voice vote only was taken to approve an appropriation budget?

With this gutless Senate?  Absolutely.

Between that and a peacock, that is pretty slim territory.

It is not just NBC.  But this should be a provable point.  Glancing through the Senate record that day, there were dozens of resolutions voted on without a roll call vote.  Let me see if I can find the record of it, and I will post it for you just to clear this up.