Author Topic: Live: House votes on spending bill with $5 billion for border wall  (Read 3250 times)

Offline mrclose

House just voted to pass CR with $5Billion for Wall!

Started streaming 96 minutes ago

Live on the House Floor: The House of Representatives is getting set to vote on a short-term proposal to fund the government which would include $5 Billion for the border wall. President Trump has vowed not to sign any bill that does not include adequate funding for border security, without specifying what an appropriate sum would be.

Sorry...

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:16:50 pm by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline mrclose

Re: Live: House votes on spending bill with $5 billion for border wall
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 11:24:40 pm »
OOPS!

Correction ...

They voted in favor of the Rule that will allow the House to move to a vote on a Continuing Resolution. When that is voted on and approved, the money will be passed and the bill will be sent to the Senate for reconciliation. This will happen tonight.

Sorry folks!
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 11:26:45 pm »
No worries.   ****slapping

wink777 :tree3:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 11:29:07 pm »
Speaker Ryan:  Why don't you perform at least one act you are required by law to do in passing a real budget instead of a half-assed plan to kick a can down the road?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 01:07:30 am »
House passed the spending bill with 5.7 billion for the border wall in it.

Oh, let me be the one to tell "the votes aren't in the House Pelosi".   :laugh:

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 01:08:14 am by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 01:14:50 am »
The Associated Press
Verified accountï‚™ @AP 

BREAKING: House approves $5.7 billion for President Trump's border wall, sending bill back to Senate and raising risk of partial shutdown

5:01 PM - 20 Dec 2018

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1075919089120481282?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 01:15:13 am »
House approves spending bill with $5.7B for border wall

Eight Republicans joined all 177 voting Democrats to oppose the measure, which passed 217-185. The bill now goes to the Senate, where it is certain to fall short of the 60 votes needed for passage since the chamber's 49 Democrats are against the border wall. That in turn will increase the chances that parts of the federal government will cease operations at midnight Friday.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-approves-spending-bill-with-5b-for-border-wall

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 01:25:30 am »
Can't they change the rules in the Senate to a simple majority instead of the 60 votes needed :smokin:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 01:25:48 am »
Chad Pergram
Verified accountï‚™ @ChadPergram 

Passage of CR with border money a major victory for President Trump and Republicans and a defeat for Democrats…who said the GOP lacked the votes for the border wall.

5:00 PM - 20 Dec 2018

https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/1075918832777261056?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 01:28:43 am »

The most likely possibility Friday is that the Senate strips the border wall out of the bill but keeps the disaster funds and sends it back to the House. House lawmakers said they were being told to stay in town for more possible votes.

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 01:29:53 am »
Can't they change the rules in the Senate to a simple majority instead of the 60 votes needed :smokin:

I'm confused.  I thought it was 51 to pass BUT sixty 60 to stop a filibuster. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 01:38:14 am »
I'm confused.  I thought it was 51 to pass BUT sixty 60 to stop a filibuster.

It is...but everyone is saying they need 60 to pass...which is it?
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 01:58:25 am »
It is...but everyone is saying they need 60 to pass...which is it?

They only need a simple majority of those present to vote.  For example, if there are only 95 Senators voting, then 48 or more votes would win.

However, a vote cannot be taken until cloture is agreed upon.  The threshold for cloture is 60 votes.  So if the Democrats oppose cloture, they will be filibustering against passage (just like they did in the 1950s and 60s when they filibustered against Civil Rights legislation).  So not only will the onus for a shutdown be on them, but it will also be an opportunity to remind everyone the method Democrats used to fight against Civil Rights.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 02:00:38 am »
They only need a simple majority of those present to vote.  For example, if there are only 95 Senators voting, then 48 or more votes would win.

However, a vote cannot be taken until cloture is agreed upon.  The threshold for cloture is 60 votes.  So if the Democrats oppose cloture, they will be filibustering against passage (just like they did in the 1950s and 60s when they filibustered against Civil Rights legislation).  So not only will the onus for a shutdown be on them, but it will also be an opportunity to remind everyone the method Democrats used to fight against Civil Rights.

Thanks....doesn't look good in the Senate then
Support the USO

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 02:01:31 am »
mystery asked:
"Can't they change the rules in the Senate to a simple majority instead of the 60 votes needed"

Yes, they can.
With a simple majority vote they can invoke a rule change to change the number of votes needed for cloture.

Will they?

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 02:03:14 am »
House passed the spending bill with 5.7 billion for the border wall in it.

Oh, let me be the one to tell "the votes aren't in the House Pelosi".   :laugh:

:thumbsup:

"We have to Pass Our Emperor's New Clothes so you can See what's not in them."

Hilarious. Nan's been breathing Fire and Brimstone up till what, 2 months ago?

And now her henchmen are having second thoughts about spending their own political skins to prop up old Drool Cup Pelosi.

000hehehehe

The Blue Wave is finally seeing the Voters bearing down on them from behind their shoulders.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:11:37 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 02:14:30 am »

If the GOP has 50+ votes, then it is perfect.  The Democrats will get sole blame for shutting down the government because it will be their filibuster that does it.  And any Republican with any sense will compare Schumer's filibuster with that of Richard B. Russell against the Civil Rights Act in 1964.

The Dems may decide to risk it.  If they filibuster through Jan 5, then the House bill may become null and void.  At which point the GOP Senate fills every vacant judicial seat in the country with the staunchest Conservative judges they can find.  Heck, if they really wanted to play hard ball, they could dissolve the entire 9th Circuit Court and then rebuild it from scratch.  That ought to piss Pelosi off.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 02:15:21 am »

Well, perhaps it depends on how many people remain in the Senate to vote rather than leaving on Xmas vacation?
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Skeptic

• Loyal q stomper.
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 02:31:31 am »
They voted in favor of the Rule that will allow the House to move to a vote on a Continuing Resolution. When that is voted on and approved, the money will be passed and the bill will be sent to the Senate for reconciliation. This will happen tonight.

Sorry folks!

You are saying that in 24 hours we shouid know
that funding for a border wall is approved. Right?
I won't accept.

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 03:16:16 am »
 88devil

Brian Cates
‏ @drawandstrike 13m13 minutes ago

"Hello. My name is Paul Ryan. I just spent two years telling Trump he'd never get funding for his wall. And today he owned me like a little bitch and I'd just like to say I'm sorry and stuff and here's your $5.75 billion for your wall Mr. Trump AND PLEASE DON'T HURT ME ANYMORE."

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 02:30:58 pm »
If the GOP has 50+ votes, then it is perfect. The Democrats will get sole blame for shutting down the government because it will be their filibuster that does it. And any Republican with any sense will compare Schumer's filibuster with that of Richard B. Russell against the Civil Rights Act in 1964.

The Dems may decide to risk it.  If they filibuster through Jan 5, then the House bill may become null and void.  At which point the GOP Senate fills every vacant judicial seat in the country with the staunchest Conservative judges they can find.  Heck, if they really wanted to play hard ball, they could dissolve the entire 9th Circuit Court and then rebuild it from scratch.  That ought to piss Pelosi off.
McConnell is already on record for saying he will not fund wall.  So it will be stripped in bill, approved by Senate and sent to House.

The GOP will be the one who stops bill, not the Dems, as either Ryan will get the stripped bill stopped(unlikely) or Trump will veto(more likely).

McConnell says Senate will vote on stopgap to avert shutdown – without new border wall funding
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mcconnell-says-senate-will-vote-on-stopgap-measure-to-avert-government-shutdown-without-new-border-wall-funding
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 02:51:11 pm »
McConnell is already on record for saying he will not fund wall.  So it will be stripped in bill, approved by Senate and sent to House.

That already happened.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 02:54:26 pm »
That already happened.

Then McConnell IS the blame for no wall.  Not Trump's.  Not Ryan's.  Not the GOP in general.  But McConnell.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 03:00:32 pm »
The fat lady has not yet sung.  I know it's crazy, but the GOP might actually pull this off.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 09:00:41 pm »
The fat lady has not yet sung.  I know it's crazy, but the GOP might actually pull this off.

If there is a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory....the GOP senate will find it.