Author Topic: Remember when Paul Ryan was the future of the Republican Party?  (Read 568 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Remember when Paul Ryan was the future of the Republican Party?
« on: December 20, 2018, 10:34:10 pm »
By Charles J. Sykes
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/remember-when-paul-ryan-was-the-future-of-the-republican-party/2018/12/20/04d9686c-045e-11e9-b5df-5d3874f1ac36_story.html?utm_term=.2bc09ef83e52

Paul D. Ryan’s farewell speech on Wednesday was painful to watch. I’m old enough to remember when the retiring House speaker was the future of the Republican Party . . .

. . . For years he had been an intellectual leader among conservatives and the conscience of the GOP on fiscal issues. With dogged wonkery, he pushed Republicans into addressing thorny issues such as entitlements, deficits and what he warned was an impending debt crisis. He was not only an attractive candidate but also one of the most serious and substantive members of Congress. Ryan was, in other words, the complete package.

And that’s exactly what I thought when I first met him more than 20 years ago back in Wisconsin, before he ran for Congress . . . I thought: This guy has the political savvy and the personality to go a very long way. Obviously, I had no idea how far that would be.

Or how badly it would end.

But then nobody really saw Donald Trump coming. Or thought that Republican voters would so thoroughly reject Ryan’s brand of conservatism in favor of Trump’s nativism and nationalism. Or that voters would prefer Trump’s bluster and pugilism over Ryan’s personal decency and substantive approach to issues. Or that Ryan himself would surrender . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline skeeter

Re: Remember when Paul Ryan was the future of the Republican Party?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 11:01:13 pm »
This writer apparently believes the average republican voter doesn't have a brain of their own.

Trump didn't create the predominant attitude in the GOP rank & file, he offered it what it wanted. What the GOPe promised it but failed to deliver. If the GOPe does not finally acknowledge that after long last they are done.

If Ryan had listened to that rank & file instead of simply paying it lip service and continuing with business as usual there would have been no president Trump.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 11:23:52 pm »
No, not in my book.  Maybe Pepperidge Farms remembers it differently.  :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 11:37:05 pm »
sure, he had promise.  But the so-called financial guru was unable to get a budget passed during his entire term as Speaker.

Instead, he played the game of kicking the can down the road with continuing resolutions, which solves nothing but spending more money
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 12:13:55 am »
Remember when Paul Ryan was the future of the Republican Party?

No! I do not!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 12:16:45 am »
He could have done good.  But he didn't.
Fail is his name. Rino was his game.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 12:45:35 am »
No! I do not!

Dittos!  Again!   888high58888 888high58888
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 12:49:20 am »
I remember the Establishment trying to tell me he was but I never saw any evidence of it.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 01:42:38 am »
Title:
"Remember when Paul Ryan was the future of the Republican Party?"

Might just as well have read:
"Remember when [insert name here] was the future of the Republican Party?"

They're almost all the same.
Who can you name who has proven to be an exception?