Author Topic: Mattis to retire at end of February  (Read 10064 times)

Online corbe

Mattis to retire at end of February
« on: December 20, 2018, 10:28:46 pm »

By The Hill staff - 12/20/18 05:24 PM EST

Defense Secretary James Mattis will retire at the end of February, President Trump announced on Thursday night.

The announcement comes shortly after the White House said the U.S. would be withdrawing its troops from Syria, a move that came despite reported concerns among Pentagon officials.

"General Jim Mattis will be retiring, with distinction, at the end of February, after having served my Administration as Secretary of Defense for the past two years," Trump tweeted in part.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/422373-mattis-to-retire-at-end-of-february
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Re: Mattis to retire at end of February
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 10:34:28 pm »
  Just speculated that Trump has ordered a Major Drawdown of Troops in Afghanistan and the Syria thing yesterday was just too much for him, perhaps.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,344881.new.html#new
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 10:41:37 pm »
And the revolving door continues to spin.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 10:57:23 pm »
 First Kelly and now Mattis the only two in the administration who are adults, its going to be a long long two years... :shrug:

Online corbe

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 11:07:13 pm »
  More info and Resignation Letter below:

Mattis Resigns as Defense Chief, Citing Differences With Trump

Tony Capaccio

12 mins ago

(Bloomberg) -- Defense Secretary Jim Mattis announced his resignation on Thursday, citing differences over policy with Donald Trump, a day after the president abruptly called for the withdrawal of American forces from Syria.

In a two-page letter to the president, Mattis laid out his convictions on the value of U.S. leadership in strategic alliances, including the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and the 74-nation coalition to defeat Islamic State.

[Click here to read a letter from Secretary Mattis]

“Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down from my position,” Mattis said in the letter to Trump released by the Pentagon.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mattis-resigns-as-defense-chief-citing-differences-with-trump/ar-BBReYyY?&ocid=ientp

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 11:09:53 pm »
  Just speculated that Trump has ordered a Major Drawdown of Troops in Afghanistan and the Syria thing yesterday was just too much for him, perhaps.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,344881.new.html#new

I think you may be right.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 11:10:24 pm »
@corbe  ouch.  That letter will leave a mark.  **nononono*
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 11:10:53 pm »
My opinion is this marks the start of the end for Trump. Mattis spot on and a real American hero. I honestly do think it crumbles from hereon, horrible decision and listening to Medved, he reminded us, what goes on in Syria does affect us because the refugees may well flee and go to the West again.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 11:13:06 pm »
My opinion is this marks the start of the end for Trump. Mattis spot on and a real American hero. I honestly do think it crumbles from hereon, horrible decision and listening to Medved, he reminded us, what goes on in Syria does affect us because the refugees may well flee and go to the West again.

Medved ought to be for a pullout from Syria then. He likes refugees.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 11:13:54 pm »
  More info and Resignation Letter below:

Mattis Resigns as Defense Chief, Citing Differences With Trump

Tony Capaccio

12 mins ago

(Bloomberg) -- Defense Secretary Jim Mattis announced his resignation on Thursday, citing differences over policy with Donald Trump, a day after the president abruptly called for the withdrawal of American forces from Syria.

In a two-page letter to the president, Mattis laid out his convictions on the value of U.S. leadership in strategic alliances, including the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and the 74-nation coalition to defeat Islamic State.

[Click here to read a letter from Secretary Mattis]

“Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down from my position,” Mattis said in the letter to Trump released by the Pentagon.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mattis-resigns-as-defense-chief-citing-differences-with-trump/ar-BBReYyY?&ocid=ientp

Trump screwed the pooch on this one.  Mad Dog was one of the real ones.  He walked the walk and talked the talk unlike our pretender in chief.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 11:32:51 pm »
I'm with Mr. Trump on this one.

Get out of Syria.
Get out of Iraq
And... get out of Afghanistan... finally.

I guess if Mr. Mattis can't agree with this, well, he can't agree. That's the way things go.

We've wasted enough lives and treasure in those hellholes.
And furthermore, those lives WERE "wasted", because the struggle there is pointless.

The real "struggle" with islam is... RIGHT HERE, at home.
HERE is where the battle will be won or lost .... NOT there.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 11:33:37 pm »
First Kelly and now Mattis the only two in the administration who are adults, its going to be a long long two years... :shrug:

Love him or hate him, Mattis wants us to stay open ended in Syria and Afghanistan .... and he was quite verbal about his opposition to and dragging his feet about putting troops on the U.S. border.

I respect Mattis for leaving over these fundamental differences with the CIC, just as I respect the CIC's decisions on all three.... Syria, Afghanistan and our border security.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:34:31 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 11:35:49 pm »

Here is the full text of the resignation letter of Jim Mattis as U.S. secretary of defense:

SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
1000 DEFENSE PENTAGON
WASHINGTON, DC 20301-1000

December 20, 2018

Dear Mr. President:

I have been privileged to serve as our country’s 26th Secretary of Defense which has allowed me to serve alongside our men and women of the Department in defense of our citizens and our ideals.

I am proud of the progress that has been made over the past two years on some of the key goals articulated in our National Defense Strategy: putting the Department on a more sound budgetary footing, improving readiness and lethality in our forces, and reforming the Department’s business practices for greater performance. Our troops continue to provide the capabilities needed to prevail in conflict and sustain strong U.S. global influence.

One core belief I have always held is that our strength as a nation is inextricably linked to the strength of our unique and comprehensive system of alliances and partnerships. While the U.S. remains the indispensable nation in the free world, we cannot protect our interests or serve that role effectively without maintaining strong alliances and showing respect to those allies. Like you, I have said from the beginning that the armed forces of the United States should not be the policeman of the world. Instead, we must use all tools of American power to provide for the common defense, including providing effective leadership to our alliances. NATO’s 29 democracies demonstrated that strength in their commitment to fighting alongside us following the 9/11 attack on America. The Defeat-ISIS coalition of 74 nations is further proof.

Similarly, I believe we must he resolute and unambiguous in our approach to those countries whose strategic interests are increasingly in tension with ours. It is clear that China and Russia, for example, want to shape a world consistent with their authoritarian model gaining veto authority over other nations’ economic, diplomatic, and security decisions to promote their own interests at the expense of their neighbors, America and our allies. That is why we must use all the tools of American power to provide for the common defense.

My views on treating allies with respect and also being clear-eyed about both malign actors and strategic competitors are strongly held and informed by over four decades of immersion in these issues. We must do everything possible to advance an international order that is most conducive to our security, prosperity and values, and we are strengthened in this effort by the solidarity of our alliances.

Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down from my position. The end date of my tenure is February 28, 2019, a date that should allow sufficient time for a successor to be nominated and confirmed as well as to make sure the Department’s interests are properly articulated and protected at upcoming events to include Congressional posture hearings and the NATO Defense Ministerial meeting in February. Further, that a full transition to a new Secretary of Defense occurs well in advance of the transition of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in September in order to ensure stability within the Department.

I pledge my full effort to a smooth transition that ensures the needs and interests of the 2.15 million Service Members and the 732,079 DoD civilians receive undistracted attention of the Department of all times so that they can fulfill their critical, round-the-clock mission to protect the American people.

I very much appreciate this opportunity to serve the nation and our men and women in uniform.

James N. Mattis
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 11:41:33 pm »
By leaving Syria we are leaving the Kurds to be decimated....no one in the ME will ever stand with the US again if we have to engage there...Obama did this and now Trump.....prayers for the Kurds.

I am betting this is one reason Mattis has finally had enough..Trump went against all his military advisors on this..just because you are CinC you are NOT all knowing re the military and what is involved...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Major Confusion

• If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 11:44:40 pm »

By The Hill staff - 12/20/18 05:24 PM EST

Defense Secretary James Mattis will retire at the end of February, President Trump announced on Thursday night.

The announcement comes shortly after the White House said the U.S. would be withdrawing its troops from Syria, a move that came despite reported concerns among Pentagon officials.

"General Jim Mattis will be retiring, with distinction, at the end of February, after having served my Administration as Secretary of Defense for the past two years," Trump tweeted in part.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/422373-mattis-to-retire-at-end-of-february

For those of us who work at the Pentagon, this is bad news.  For the American people, many of whom never think about DoD, this is also bad news.

Secretary Mattis, thank you for having our moral backs during this...interesting...time. :patriot:
If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 11:46:42 pm »
For those of us who work at the Pentagon, this is bad news.  For the American people, many of whom never think about DoD, this is also bad news.

Secretary Mattis, thank you for having our moral backs during this...interesting...time. :patriot:

Agreed
Support the USO

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 11:49:31 pm »
BREAKING!!!!! OLD MAN RETIRES!!!!!

News at 11

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 11:49:42 pm »
Just think of all the increased immigrants we’ll have now, all of whom will have valid claims for asylum due in large part to the US abdication on leadership overseas. 

I thought part of Trumps schtick was that he was going to reduce immigration, not increase it.  :shrug:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 11:50:30 pm »

Only for you. For me they will be the same as every other year.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 11:50:55 pm »
By leaving Syria we are leaving the Kurds to be decimated....no one in the ME will ever stand with the US again if we have to engage there...Obama did this and now Trump.....prayers for the Kurds. 

There are a lot of people around the world who deserve our prayers @mystery-ak   Do they deserve our troops?

How long do we stay in Syria, and what would the ROE be?  What if we bump into Russia in the middle of the night?  Or Israel?

What are we doing now?  I really don't know, so if you do.... please, tell me.  Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:51:54 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 11:53:45 pm »
There are a lot of people around the world who deserve our prayers @mystery-ak   Do they deserve our troops?

How long do we stay in Syria, and what would the ROE be?  What if we bump into Russia in the middle of the night?  Or Israel?

What are we doing now?  I really don't know, so if you do.... please, tell me.  Thanks.

Well Putin thanked us today.

The Kurds were/are our allies...we offered them air support which will be stopped now....this sends a bad message to all our allies if you ask me.
Support the USO

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 11:55:39 pm »
Well Putin thanked us today.

The Kurds were/are our allies...we offered them air support which will be stopped now....this sends a bad message to all our allies if you ask me.

It sends a very bad message.  It basically says that if you ever agree to work with the Americans, you will eventually be hung out to dry in the worst way possible. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 12:01:29 am »
Fox reporting Trump pushed him out and asked for his resignation..
Support the USO

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 12:03:22 am »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 12:03:40 am »
GOP lawmaker hits Trump after news of Mattis resignation: ‘That’s what happens when you ignore sound military advice’
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/422385-gop-lawmaker-hits-trump-after-news-of-mattis-resignation-thats-what-happens
Support the USO