Author Topic: 'This is a fumble': Mark Meadows rips Trump, GOP for border wall failure  (Read 580 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'This is a fumble': Mark Meadows rips Trump, GOP for border wall failure
by Pete Kasperowicz
 | December 20, 2018 08:41 AM

Print this article

Rep. Mark Meadows said Thursday that President Trump and congressional Republicans blew their chance at getting a border wall by failing to insist on billions in new funding.

Meadows, R-N.C., said on Fox News that conservatives believe Trump is a fighter, but is getting "bad advice" on the border wall. Meadows and other conservatives want Trump to veto a short-term spending bill this week because it doesn't include border wall funding.

[Read more: Fox News host urges Trump to veto 'crap' bill with no wall funding]

"They believe that he's getting bad advice," Meadows said of how conservatives view Trump. "They know that he's promised not once, not twice but three different times that he would get border wall funding, and here we are about to punt."

"And I would argue, it's not a punt," Meadows added. "A punt actually helps improve the field advantage. This is a fumble, and we need to make sure that the president stays firm."

"A lot of people are very nervous this morning about whether the president will cave or not," he said.

But Meadows also blamed congressional Republicans for failing to make any effort to pass a bill this month that funds the border wall.

"We failed, we fumbled," he said.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/this-is-a-fumble-mark-meadows-rips-trump-gop-for-border-wall-failure
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

Re: 'This is a fumble': Mark Meadows rips Trump, GOP for border wall failure
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 03:06:14 pm »
Correction:  Conservatives do NOT believe Trump is a fighter.  Trump Republicans may, but Conservatives don't.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 04:03:49 pm »
Correction:  Conservatives do NOT believe Trump is a fighter.  Trump Republicans may, but Conservatives don't.

Oh, I don't doubt he's a "fighter," but with a week like this, one questions for whom is he fighting.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 04:34:08 pm »
Trump held the line for two years, the GOP Congress did nothing. Now that he backs down after overreaching on a demand for a border wall, suddenly everyone and the F Trump crowd is all in a tizzy and piling on, even those who'd never go for a wall to begin with.

Wish they had this passion two years ago.
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 04:38:05 pm »
Oh, I don't doubt he's a "fighter," but with a week like this, one questions for whom is he fighting.

I'm pretty sure the only actual "fighting" he does is in his tweets.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 04:45:55 pm »
I'm pretty sure the only actual "fighting" he does is in his tweets.

He's fighting his own constituents not by Tweet, but by caving to the Rats on building the wall.  I agree with those who say this is looking a lot like Bush 41's cave on "No new taxes."  Trump could be riding a healthy economy in 2020, and he will still lose because of this.

Don't get me started on his position on gun (owner) control.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 04:47:03 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 04:47:43 pm »
Trump held the line for two years, the GOP Congress did nothing. Now that he backs down after overreaching on a demand for a border wall, suddenly everyone and the F Trump crowd is all in a tizzy and piling on, even those who'd never go for a wall to begin with.

Wish they had this passion two years ago.

Because this is pretty much the last chance to get wall funding.  It ain't gonna happen when the new slate of dems get installed.

Online rustynail

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 04:53:24 pm »

"Sighs of relief over an averted government shutdown turned into chaos Thursday morning after President Trump announced via Twitter that he won't sign any legislation unless it has "perfect" border security."

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 05:13:17 pm »
"Sighs of relief over an averted government shutdown turned into chaos Thursday morning after President Trump announced via Twitter that he won't sign any legislation unless it has "perfect" border security."

There is a problem when a President blows with the Populist winds.  I'm sure he changed his mind back when he got flak.  When he gets flak in the other direction, he will blow back.

No core.  No wall.

Offline bilo

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 06:23:17 pm »
He's fighting his own constituents not by Tweet, but by caving to the Rats on building the wall.  I agree with those who say this is looking a lot like Bush 41's cave on "No new taxes."  Trump could be riding a healthy economy in 2020, and he will still lose because of this.

Don't get me started on his position on gun (owner) control.

Your analysis is spot on!

At this point Trump's only hope to save his presidency is to backtrack and veto the spending bill. His problem now is he has signaled his supporters that he can't be counted on in a pinch. If he doesn't win on this he will have 2 more years with nothing meaningful being done and then if he runs again he will lose.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 06:26:23 pm »
Fumble?  This is three pick-sixes in a row.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-