Author Topic: They tested positive for HIV. Then the military kicked them out.  (Read 793 times)

rangerrebew

They tested positive for HIV. Then the military kicked them out.

By Paul Sonne
December 19 at 3:04 PM

Testing positive for HIV was difficult enough. Getting forced out of the military by the Air Force because of the diagnosis proved even harder.

So say two U.S. airmen who filed suit on Wednesday against Defense Secretary Jim Mattis in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, arguing that the Pentagon’s decision last month to discharge them from the military owing to their HIV status violates the Constitution’s equal protection clause and federal law. They have asked the court to strike down the decision.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/they-tested-positive-for-hiv-then-the-military-kicked-them-out/2018/12/19/203d9838-032a-11e9-8186-4ec26a485713_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.efc10a85bef2
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 01:37:03 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: They tested positive for HIV. Then the military kicked them out.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 02:11:34 pm »
The military isn't a welfare system.  ....or shouldn't be.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 07:57:27 pm »
I would think it would be dependent on how the HIV was acquired, like if it was due to a transfusion or other procedure done by a military agency vs risky sexual behavior.
I agree the military shouldn't be a welfare system, they shouldn't be paying for non critical things like gender reassignment but they should be responsible to those that enlisted and served in good faith.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 08:04:36 pm »
I would think it would be dependent on how the HIV was acquired, like if it was due to a transfusion or other procedure done by a military agency vs risky sexual behavior.
I agree the military shouldn't be a welfare system, they shouldn't be paying for non critical things like gender reassignment but they should be responsible to those that enlisted and served in good faith.

If they can't do the job, they need to be out.  If they contracted the AIDS as a result of their job duties, that's one thing, but that's not what happened.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 08:06:04 pm »
Since taking over at the Pentagon almost two years ago, Mattis has made it a priority to whittle down the number of U.S. service members unable to deploy for various reasons.

Known colloquially as “deploy or get out,” the policy he spearheaded came into effect this fall. Under its guidelines, any service member who is deemed unable to deploy for 12 consecutive months will be evaluated for separation. Pregnant and postpartum service members are excluded. Those suffering from wounds received in action receive “special consideration.”

“You’re either deployable, or you need to find something else to do. I’m not going to have some people deploying constantly and then other people, who seem to not pay that price, in the U.S. military,” Mattis told reporters in February. “If you can’t go overseas [and] carry a combat load, then obviously someone else has got to go. I want this spread fairly and expertly across the force.”

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 08:20:23 pm »
If they can't do the job, they need to be out.  If they contracted the AIDS as a result of their job duties, that's one thing, but that's not what happened.
I don't think we disagree.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline DB

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 08:27:47 pm »
The military is a place where the chances of being exposed to someone else's blood is much higher than other jobs. HIV blood exposure is a serious threat to others.

The military is not a PC operation and has a duty to the other soldiers safety.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 08:34:52 pm »
The military is a place where the chances of being exposed to someone else's blood is much higher than other jobs. HIV blood exposure is a serious threat to others.

The military is not a PC operation and has a duty to the other soldiers safety.

Really?  I didn't realize that when I was an ambulance medic.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 08:39:24 pm »

The headline is written as if we all should be outraged.

Strangely, I’m not.

Offline DB

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 09:04:49 pm »
Really?  I didn't realize that when I was an ambulance medic.

That isn't the same thing and you know it. You have equipment to protect you as it is part of the job. Dealing with blood on the battlefield is something entirely different.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 09:16:23 pm »
That isn't the same thing and you know it. You have equipment to protect you as it is part of the job. Dealing with blood on the battlefield is something entirely different.

No, I don't know that.  As first responders we might have equipment, we might not.   I do know that we got called out regularly for spilled blood. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 09:19:32 pm »
This is what happens when Johnny Get Your Gun turns into Bruce Bend Over.

rangerrebew

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 12:40:32 pm »
This is what happens when Johnny Get Your Gun turns into Bruce Bend Over.

:facepalm2: