Author Topic: Patreon issue  (Read 628 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Patreon issue
« on: December 18, 2018, 06:33:22 pm »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Patreon issue
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 05:00:00 am »
Is there any way you could set this up, other than posting cold videos?  What is this "Patreon?"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 05:05:21 am »
What is this "Patreon?"

An overrated tequila.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 03:57:37 pm »
Is there any way you could set this up, other than posting cold videos?  What is this "Patreon?"

It's a platform that allows you to post videos for a fee and that has lately been accused of deplatforming non-leftist sites.  An impressive push-back is developing. 

@truth_seeker, tell me if I got that wrong. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 04:06:38 pm »
It's a platform that allows you to post videos for a fee.

@Sanguine
Close, but not quite. It is a lot like Youtube, where content providers post their wares for free - The difference being that there is an option for those providers to charge a subscription fee to those who follow their respective channels - There is usually quite a bit posted for free, but usually, for a small fee, you can unlock further content.

It's claim to fame is that, in the censorship wars, Patreon has largely not participated. That has prompted many content providers fleeing Youtube to either set up there, or set up there ALSO, posting to patreon the content that would get them banned on Youtube... To include Christian content, guns and hunting content, and much more.

Evidently that non-participation has ended.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 04:08:06 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 04:07:26 pm »
It's a platform that allows you to post videos for a fee and that has lately been accused of deplatforming non-leftist sites.  An impressive push-back is developing. 

@truth_seeker, tell me if I got that wrong.

Thank Yew! I can't do videos very well...can't hear them (tinnitus).  The internet is becoming increasingly more difficult for me because there are more and more people who don't write things down, they just pop a camera on themselves, read the script and call it good.  Then aggregators post cold videos leaving me to just pass on it.
 888mouth
Sort of an insult to literate people if you ask me. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 04:08:02 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 04:21:00 pm »
@Sanguine
Close, but not quite. It is a lot like Youtube, where content providers post their wares for free - The difference being that there is an option for those providers to charge a subscription fee to those who follow their respective channels - There is usually quite a bit posted for free, but usually, for a small fee, you can unlock further content.

It's claim to fame is that, in the censorship wars, Patreon has largely not participated. That has prompted many content providers fleeing Youtube to either set up there, or set up there ALSO, posting to patreon the content that would get them banned on Youtube... To include Christian content, guns and hunting content, and much more.

Evidently that non-participation has ended.

Thanks, @roamer_1

One of the interesting points, is that the Intellectual Dark Web people have been posting on there.  Hard to determine their POV, but it's anti-PC, so that may be the problem. 

Peterson and Rubin are talking about setting up another platform.  They're serious people and that may happen soon. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 04:44:55 pm »
Thanks, @roamer_1

One of the interesting points, is that the Intellectual Dark Web people have been posting on there.  Hard to determine their POV, but it's anti-PC, so that may be the problem. 

Peterson and Rubin are talking about setting up another platform.  They're serious people and that may happen soon.

@Sanguine
Yes on the 'anti-PC'... You would be astounded at who gets demonetized, blacklisted, shadowbanned, or otherwise suffers demerit from the liberal sensors at youtube.

Their rabid stance is shocking... to the point that bushcrafter shows or channels are demonitized simply for showing a hunt,  and homesteaders demonetized for showing a simple teaching video showing slaughter, or how to butcher... Even a chicken or a pheasant....

Youtube is flatly evil. They say the content is not palatable to their advertisers, which is absolutely nuts. For all their algorithmic skill, they could very easily provide advertisers according to channel content, providing ads to the viewer compatible to that content. But that is not what they do.

As a fairly active youtube listener (it is likely playing in the background here most of the time) I am constantly bombarded with ads for crap I would never use. Even in music - You might suppose I would prefer Country music, and of course I do - but they shove rap at me all the time.

And lets not even start on Christian content. Many of my favorite Christian channels  have disappeared.  Politics much the same.

**note: 'Constantly bombarded with ads' is not really true- My TVs are governed by computers, and all of my computers (including media, office desktops and laptops, etc) have ad and script blockers... So I seldom see ads... But that is not possible on my android tablets and phone. So if I am in the kitchen or out at the shop doing something, I am usually on a droid, so I get the ads then.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 05:17:13 pm »

Patreon is a means for people to fund their podcasts, youtube vids etc.

The Patreon entity is cutting people of; "de-platforming them, for dubious, political correctness issues.

It ties into YouTube, and facebook, and Twitter censorship as a broader issue.

At present it ties to the IDW, not exclusively, but is not just them.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 05:39:42 pm »
Patreon is a means for people to fund their podcasts, youtube vids etc.

The Patreon entity is cutting people of; "de-platforming them, for dubious, political correctness issues.

It ties into YouTube, and facebook, and Twitter censorship as a broader issue.

At present it ties to the IDW, not exclusively, but is not just them.

Thanks!  So the folks who have been driven off YouTube landed at Patreon, only to find the same bigotry at work there.  I wish them good fortune on their new venture.
I will NOT comply.