Author Topic: Trump's verbal attacks on the Fed hurt his cause  (Read 415 times)

Offline corbe

Trump's verbal attacks on the Fed hurt his cause
« on: December 17, 2018, 10:46:55 pm »
Trump's verbal attacks on the Fed hurt his cause

By Desmond Lachman, opinion contributor — 12/17/18 05:30 PM EST

President Trump is most likely correct to think that the Fed would be ill-advised to raise interest rates at its meeting on Wednesday.

However, by expressing that view so forcefully and publicly, he increases the odds that the Fed might be compelled to raise interest rates despite a weak case for doing so.

It might be forced to do so in order to maintain its credibility as an independent institution that is free from outside political interference, especially from the president of the United States.

Among the valid arguments that President Trump advances to support his no-further-rate-increase case is that U.S. inflation remains very well contained and that the dollar has been strengthening. He also argues that “the outside world is blowing up around us” with Paris burning and the Chinese economy being way down.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/421707-trumps-verbal-attacks-on-the-fed-hurt-his-cause
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: Trump's verbal attacks on the Fed hurt his cause
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 10:50:27 pm »
the Fed might be compelled to raise interest rates despite a weak case for doing so.

Lol, what a bunch of horseshit.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 10:56:54 pm »
   I agree @Dexter the premise of this article is not compelling and highly discombobulating, IMHO.   Another slow news day.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 02:08:37 am »
Lol, what a bunch of horseshit.

Yeah, I agree with that.  The Fed will do what it does.  I think they will not raise rates Wednesday.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 02:29:43 am »
I think the biggest reason the Fed wants to raise is it knows recession is coming and wants its arrows back in the quiver.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 02:33:19 am »
Whatever happens, we can count on the Fed to do the wrong thing.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-