Author Topic: Woman who climbed Statue of Liberty to protest Trump's immigration policies found guilty at trial, s  (Read 569 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The protester who scaled the Statue of Liberty on July 4 was found guilty Monday after declaring on the stand she would do it again to draw attention to President Trump’s “callous” child separation policies at the Mexico border.

Patricia Okoumou was found guilty of trespassing, interference with agency functions and disorderly conduct for her three-hour protest that resulted in the evacuation of some 20,000 visitors from Liberty Island.

She took the stand in her own defense.

“Unfortunately, as long as our children are being placed in cages my moral values call for me to do something about it,” Okoumou said in Manhattan Federal Court.

Magistrate Judge Gabriel Gorenstein found her guilty of all counts after a half-day trial. He said he did “not doubt the sincerity of her beliefs” but rejected the argument that she should be acquitted due to the horror of breaking immigrant families apart.
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-metro-statue-protester-trial-20181217-story.html
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This went to trial for charges not likely to result in jail time?  OK, I think it's reasonable to ask, "Who paid for her attorney(s)? :pondering:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Didn't seem to have a problem with it till Trump became President however.
The Republic is lost.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Just became a citizen in '16  Can we deport her because she is a felon now?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.