Author Topic: GOP set for blame over shutdown  (Read 926 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP set for blame over shutdown
« on: December 16, 2018, 04:32:32 pm »
GOP set for blame over shutdown
By Scott Wong and Mike Lillis - 12/16/18 06:00 AM EST

Republicans are facing a starkly different shutdown fight as they close a difficult 2018 that will see them ushered out of the House majority.

A little less than a year ago, President Trump and his GOP allies enjoyed a victory in January over Democrats in what they termed the “Schumer shutdown.”

At the time, the party was riding high off Trump’s biggest legislative victory to date: passage of a huge tax-cut bill.

The GOP rejected Democratic demands to add language helping young undocumented immigrants to a government-funding bill, and then watched with glee as the opposing party took the blame for closing the government. It left Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer (N.Y.) and his party scrambling to contain the political fallout.

But days away from another potential shutdown, it’s the GOP that seems sure to take the blame.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/421486-gop-set-for-blame-over-shutdown
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: GOP set for blame over shutdown
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 04:33:35 pm »
Schumer: Republicans should 'have the guts' to tell Trump his 'temper tantrum' will lead to shutdown
https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/421587-schumer-republicans-should-have-the-guts-to-tell-trump-his-temper
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 04:41:51 pm »
Trump did say, on the air, that he would take the responsibility for a shutdown, and since shit rolls downhill, ....

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 05:47:19 pm »
Own it.  Shout it from the Mountain tops.  Go on the offensive and use it to beat the shit out of the Rats.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 06:17:12 pm »
Own it.  Shout it from the Mountain tops.  Go on the offensive and use it to beat the shit out of the Rats.

I agree @The Ghost The last time we shut it down in 2013 (Cruz) we won the Senate back in the next election cycle.  I'm sick and tired of the CR's and countdown clocks every Christmas.  They need to do their damn job.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 11:00:03 pm »

I think that's exactly what he is planning.  I think the pundits who say that the shutdown will hurt the GOP are stupid.  Most people will not be seriously affected by the shutdown, and the majority of them do want the wall.  They know why Trump is proud to own the shutdown;  by the same token, they mostly know why the Dems are refusing to fund the wall.

(Anyway, it's a good time to close the NPS.  Too cold anyway.)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 11:08:44 pm »
Really they are to blame.  They controlled both House and Senate and could not fund the wall.  Now there are Republicans opposing the shutdown also, but too bad.  They should have done the right thing for Americans.  There is no denying that Trumps base wanted secure borders.  Those are the people who elected him and deserve our government to do the will of the people.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 11:26:45 pm »
How many times have they said a shutdown would hurt the GOP, yet it never does?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 11:29:10 pm »
They also said Donald wouldn't win the election. People want Donald to make a lot of noise and trouble. I think a shutdown would benefit him as long as he refuses to surrender.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 11:48:49 pm »
Do what you have to do, Mr. Trump.
Just... do it.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 11:50:03 pm »
Really they are to blame.  They controlled both House and Senate and could not fund the wall.  Now there are Republicans opposing the shutdown also, but too bad.  They should have done the right thing for Americans.  There is no denying that Trumps base wanted secure borders.  Those are the people who elected him and deserve our government to do the will of the people.

To be fair about it, I would point out that the GOP never had a real chance to fund the wall in 2017 or thus far in 2018 (without forcing a shutdown, of course).  The Dems in the Senate would never go along with the funding for the wall.  The GOP had barely a majority in the Senate and needed a supermajority of 60 Senators to bring the bill to a vote.  There was no deal that could be cut to satisfy the Dems.  They even scoffed at a Trump deal involving DACA, if I recall correctly. 

The crooked Dems are staking everything in their political future on open borders--and there are just too many of them in office for the GOP to steamroll them at this time.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 11:52:29 pm »
GOP set for blame credit over shutdown
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 11:55:20 pm »
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 11:56:36 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.