Author Topic: Hating The President Is Not a Strategy, As Bill Kristol Just Learned  (Read 679 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hating The President Is Not a Strategy, As Bill Kristol Just Learned
Jeff Ballabon

Posted: Dec 15, 2018 12:01 AM

Going all in on attacking President Trump isn’t proving to be a particularly effective business strategy for media outlets.

The Weekly Standard, a 28-year old neoconservative institution, is reportedly headed towards dissolution after its founder, Bill Kristol, devoted almost three years of work to attacking the President and his supporters.

It’s not just Kristol. The entire world of clickbait Trump-hate seems to be in jeopardy, including sites that cater to the liberal base.

The same week that The Weekly Standard’s troubles broke, Vanity Fair dropped a bombshell report about the struggles faced by those hip, millennial-targeted left-wing rags with the cool names and rabidly anti-Trump headlines strewn across your social media feed. Vice, Vox, Mic, Buzzfeed, Mashable — they’re all either looking for buyers or seriously reevaluating their strategies in hopes of becoming profitable. Mic laid off most of its workers. Vice and Vox are firing staff left and right.

more
https://townhall.com/columnists/jeffballabon/2018/12/15/hating-the-president-is-not-a-strategy-as-bill-kristol-just-learned-n2537512
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Hating The President Is Not a Strategy, As Bill Kristol Just Learned
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 04:18:53 pm »
Hating The President Is Not a Strategy, As Bill Kristol Just Learned
Jeff Ballabon

Posted: Dec 15, 2018 12:01 AM

Going all in on attacking President Trump isn’t proving to be a particularly effective business strategy for media outlets.

The Weekly Standard, a 28-year old neoconservative institution, is reportedly headed towards dissolution after its founder, Bill Kristol, devoted almost three years of work to attacking the President and his supporters.

It’s not just Kristol. The entire world of clickbait Trump-hate seems to be in jeopardy, including sites that cater to the liberal base.

The same week that The Weekly Standard’s troubles broke, Vanity Fair dropped a bombshell report about the struggles faced by those hip, millennial-targeted left-wing rags with the cool names and rabidly anti-Trump headlines strewn across your social media feed. Vice, Vox, Mic, Buzzfeed, Mashable — they’re all either looking for buyers or seriously reevaluating their strategies in hopes of becoming profitable. Mic laid off most of its workers. Vice and Vox are firing staff left and right.

more
https://townhall.com/columnists/jeffballabon/2018/12/15/hating-the-president-is-not-a-strategy-as-bill-kristol-just-learned-n2537512

@mystery-ak

Couldn't happen to a more deserving group of people.

Kristol is now a man without a country because communism is also dead in Russia.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 05:15:31 pm »
Surely Kristol he could land a position as Chief of Staff to Flake, Corker, Sasse.

Oh well. It is down to Sase, fellow Hahvahd PhD.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 07:02:08 pm »
Oh well. It is down to Sase, fellow Hahvahd PhD.
Actually, Sasse earned his Ph.D. (in American history) at Yale. (Which some might indeed consider as sleeping with the enemy, since he was a Harvard undergraduate---on a wrestling scholarship, as in real wrestling, not the behemoth brawling bullsh@t that's been a television hit for decades now.) But let's not get technical.

Meanwhile, Ben Shapiro had this to say about the Standard's demise:

The death of The Weekly Standard has spurred accusations that the magazine was shuttered for its anti-Trump position. But that neglects the fact that the new editor of the Washington Examiner magazine is Seth Mandel, another Trump-skeptical conservative. While the Standard may have taken a more stridently anti-Trump position than any other conservative outlet, it was far from the only outlet to oppose many of President Trump’s policies as well as critiquing his lack of moral fiber. The biggest problem for the Standard, at least in the mainstream conservative mind, was the consistently anti-Trump tone taken by many of its leading voices, even when Trump was accomplishing conservative goals. To a large extent, this was due to the ideological shadow cast by longtime Standard editor-in-chief Bill Kristol, who has been loudly proclaiming that he is seeking a primary alternative to Trump in 2020.

In any case, the demise of The Weekly Standard is indeed a tragedy for commentary. I spent years subscribing to it; the writing was unparalleled, the analysis brilliant. The magazine had one of the best staffs around, and injected a much-needed dose of cultural awareness into the conservative movement. Its death doesn’t signal a serious sea change in conservatism so much as a branding failure on the part of the magazine, and a cutthroat decision on the part of its owners.
I could surmise that, were Kristol removed from the equation the Standard might have survived, but it was hardly his fault that Clarity Media decided to refuse selling the Standard---after first okaying editor-in-chief Stephen Hayes's initial hunt for a buyer---while killing the magazine itself but keeping its subscriber list.

For myself, I didn't always agree with the Standard's editorial line, never mind that a lot of its key people who went all-in on the Iraq war and the "national greatness conservatism" Kristol represented in those years (and still does to a particular extent) that animated their all-in, subsequently regretted those positions (including, so far as I could tell, Kristol himself), but I did appreciate its writing. Its agnosticism regarding President Tweety wasn't exactly a deal breaker for me, either, even if it's reasonably clear that another Tweety-agnostic rightward journal, National Review, had long enough entrenchment and staying power to survive where the Standard ultimately didn't.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline corbe

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 07:03:24 pm »
   I don't hate Trump or Kristol and with that being said, I LOVE @mystery-ak for tolerating us NT'ers here.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 08:03:40 pm »
Actually, Sasse earned his Ph.D. (in American history) at Yale. (Which some might indeed consider as sleeping with the enemy, since he was a Harvard undergraduate---on a wrestling scholarship, as in real wrestling, not the behemoth brawling bullsh@t that's been a television hit for decades now.) But let's not get technical.

Meanwhile, Ben Shapiro had this to say about the Standard's demise:
I could surmise that, were Kristol removed from the equation the Standard might have survived, but it was hardly his fault that Clarity Media decided to refuse selling the Standard---after first okaying editor-in-chief Stephen Hayes's initial hunt for a buyer---while killing the magazine itself but keeping its subscriber list.

For myself, I didn't always agree with the Standard's editorial line, never mind that a lot of its key people who went all-in on the Iraq war and the "national greatness conservatism" Kristol represented in those years (and still does to a particular extent) that animated their all-in, subsequently regretted those positions (including, so far as I could tell, Kristol himself), but I did appreciate its writing. Its agnosticism regarding President Tweety wasn't exactly a deal breaker for me, either, even if it's reasonably clear that another Tweety-agnostic rightward journal, National Review, had long enough entrenchment and staying power to survive where the Standard ultimately didn't.
---------------------------------------
Aristotle, Plato, Euclid, Sophocles, Archimedes; to name a handful
never had "college degrees" being self-taught; the poor things.
Just what does a Ph.D, simply a credential such as a drivers
license, have to do w/historic achievement and innate intelligence ???

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 08:22:36 pm »

Utterly irrelevant, and deceptive.  Those gents were the cream of the elite, with all that implies, not dirt-poor farmers or laborers who lifted themselves up by their bootstraps.  They didn’t have phds simply because phds hadn’t been invented yet.  The Greeks were busy doing other things with sheep and their skins at the time.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 09:08:23 pm »
Aside from the fact that I wasn't the one who initially raised Sasse's Ph.D. as evidence against him, it doesn't denigrate the legitimate achievements of those who didn't earn such advanced degrees (which do require quite a bit more in the way of qualification than a driver's license requires) to acknowledge the effort, the thinking, and the presentation required to earn such a doctorate as Sasse's. Contrary to the beliefs of some people, they're not always sold inside matchbook covers or inside specially marked boxes of Kellogg's Corn Flakes. And while there is a rightful alarm today about whether the academy is in business to inculcate ideology rather than educate, there's still plenty to be said for those who actually achieve such high education that does not denigrate, undermine, or dismiss the intellectual or practical achievements of those whom we know to be highly educated but lack the formal credential to adorn it.

I frankly know of very few senators who've earned doctorates: prior to Sasse and Tammy Duckworth (and I admit, I'm neither an admirer of hers nor convinced that her doctorate in human services suggests a true education more than a possible ideological training considering her discipline and its contemporary issues), there were, in fact, only five who earned them prior to becoming senators: Henry Cabot Lodge (history), Daniel Patrick Moynihan (international relations), Harrison Schmitt (geology), Phil Gramm (economics), and Paul Wellstone (political science). Eleven members of the House now hold doctorates; prior to them, excluding Gramm, there were only eleven. The doctorates held by those senators and representatives were in fact quite diverse: six in history, six in political science, two in international relations, three in economics, two in physics, one in nuclear physics, one in chemistry, one in electrical engineering, among others.

And I know of only one Supreme Court justice ever to hold a doctorate---Neil Gorsuch, in legal philosophy, from Oxford. And, since it seems to be an opportunity for derision among some people to whom education is politically suspect, of all the foregoing I mentioned either by name or otherwise, only three of those doctorates were earned at Harvard---Lodge (R-Massachussetts), Schmitt (R-New Mexico), and current Rep. Bill Foster (current; D-Illinois). How they deploy their educations after having achieved them in the first place is, of course, another matter entirely, about which you can say fairly that it isn't always the case that an educated (with or without formal credential) man or woman remains by definition a man or woman of substance.

And while I have long believed Albert Jay Nock's essential faith that the only true education is self education (Nock, by the way, was educated at St. Stephen's College---long since Bard College---and at an Episcopalian theological seminary), and that the distinction between the genuinely educable person and the simply trainable person is a distinction dismissed to the peril of the academy and of society, with no denigration intended toward either person at all, I decline to reject the hard-earned credentialing of a man or a woman as proving nothing in light of my knowledge concerning how genuinely arduous it is to earn such formal recognition.

(For the record, I'm also in agreement with another Nockian observation---that by which he held that the only thing anyone can truly do "for" society is to present society with one improved unit. A doing at which I've made every effort I can in my own quiet way.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 09:09:48 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 10:38:03 pm »
Utterly irrelevant, and deceptive.  Those gents were the cream of the elite, with all that implies, not dirt-poor farmers or laborers who lifted themselves up by their bootstraps.  They didn’t have phds simply because phds hadn’t been invented yet.  The Greeks were busy doing other things with sheep and their skins at the time.
-----------------------------
What is beyond irrelevant is your compulsively infantile repetition,
w/o an iota of support, that the unsurpassed genius of the creators
of Western Civilization were some sort of coddled and privileged few.
The Greeks understood the natural inequality of Mankind which is why
their governance embraced oligarchy; the rule, not of the privileged
but by the few who had a demonstrable record of achievement and
were judged exceptionally talented and wise by their peers.
Dirt farmers and day laborers may be personally sainted but they
hardly build cultures/societies and nation/states, as history proves.