Author Topic: Slay the single-payer myths: Ocasio-Cortez is the latest to spread falsehoods about what it will cos  (Read 346 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
OPINION
Slay the single-payer myths: Ocasio-Cortez is the latest to spread falsehoods about what it will cost
By BILL HAMMOND
DEC 13, 2018 | 5:00 AM
It’s hard to take Medicare for All seriously when its proponents keep saying deeply unserious things. The latest case in point comes from Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the progressive firebrand from the Bronx.

In a Dec. 2 post on Twitter, she appeared to argue that Defense Department accounting irregularities could somehow pay most of the cost of a universal health plan.

“$21 TRILLION of Pentagon financial transactions ‘could not be traced, documented, or explained,’ ” she wrote, quoting a Nation magazine article. “Medicare for All costs ~$32T. That means 66% of Medicare for All could have been funded already by the Pentagon.”

That claim was spectacularly, obviously wrong, as multiple fact-checkers soon confirmed.

It turned out that $21 trillion was a tally of questionable accounting adjustments, both positive and negative, over 18 years — a measure of bad bookkeeping, but not necessarily waste or fraud. It was definitely not a pool of money available to be spent.

Indeed, some fact-checkers pointed out that $21 trillion is probably more, without adjusting for inflation, than the entire history of U.S. military spending.

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-oped-slay-the-single-payer-myths-20181211-story.html
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Title:
"Slay the single-payer myths: Ocasio-Cortez is the latest to spread falsehoods about what it will cost"

Cost?
Where'd you get that idea?

Get with the program.
It's all gonna be FREE !!

Offline Hoodat

What a relief it would be if the government only spent as much on health care as it spends on defense.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

$21T.  That would be the national debt last time I checked.  I'm sure she's not trying to claim our debt is solely caused by the DoD.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.