Author Topic: What does someone need to become a political candidate?  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Skeptic

• Loyal q stomper.
What does someone need to become a political candidate?
« on: December 10, 2018, 06:22:45 am »
Very basic question. Being a normal everyday citizen without anything of note to make myself a VIP sort of person, especially in the world of politics, I wonder what it truly takes to run for mayor, senate or president and everything in between. You need a lot. A lot of money, a lot of connections, a lot of reputation and a lot of government service under your belt. Mostly all government positions are occupied with people who served long military careers or civil service careers. Everyone has a college degree, money, large families and are well involved in a large social community. What does someone need to become a political leader? A whole lot more than most citizens realize.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:23:51 am by Skeptic »
I won't accept.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: What does someone need to become a political candidate?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 06:33:14 am »

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 06:33:54 am »
Very basic question. Being a normal everyday citizen without anything of note to make myself a VIP sort of person, especially in the world of politics, I wonder what it truly takes to run for mayor, senate or president and everything in between. You need a lot. A lot of money, a lot of connections, a lot of reputation and a lot of government service under your belt. Mostly all government positions are occupied with people who served long military careers or civil service careers. Everyone has a college degree, money, large families and are well involved in a large social community. What does someone need to become a political leader? A whole lot more than most citizens realize.

Well welcome to TBR.  I have one question what did Trump have?  He is certainly lacking in military career and civil service.   He did have money and the Apprentice.  That really is a joke now.  The Apprentice, what a joke that is now.  Trump has proven he has no skill in judging a persons ability to do a job.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/12/07/donald-trump-candidates-choke-like-dogs-kansas-city-sot-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/this-week-in-politics/

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Skeptic

• Loyal q stomper.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 06:58:52 am »
So we're safe to say that before one could even be considered candidate-worthy they really need to reach a certain level of self-dependency and wealth first. There might be a rare exception but, not really. Politics ain't a poor mans game.
I won't accept.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 07:03:37 am »
So we're safe to say that before one could even be considered candidate-worthy they really need to reach a certain level of self-dependency and wealth first. There might be a rare exception but, not really. Politics ain't a poor mans game.

Nah. Small town, small county, it ain't that way. Even state government ain't all that.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 07:24:59 am »
They are going to need to put up with a lot of a crap, especially if they dare go against the Deep State.

Expect every bad thing they've ever said and done to come up.  And if there isn't anything, they'll just make it up, as they did with Kavanaugh.

Offline Skeptic

• Loyal q stomper.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 08:10:09 am »
They are going to need to put up with a lot of a crap, especially if they dare go against the Deep State.

Expect every bad thing they've ever said and done to come up.  And if there isn't anything, they'll just make it up, as they did with Kavanaugh.

Do you think normal working class citizens should be ridiculed and scandalled like politicians do?
I won't accept.

Offline Skeptic

• Loyal q stomper.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 08:32:15 am »
Nah. Small town, small county, it ain't that way. Even state government ain't all that.

But certainly a homeless guy couldn't run for a government seat. I mean, you gotta have a house and a car and do some sort of reputable work. Not everyone and anyone has a chance, right?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 08:33:07 am by Skeptic »
I won't accept.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 11:36:12 am »
Depends on what you are running for. School board? Mayor of a town of under 5,000 people?

You just need to canvas and a hundred dollars for yard signs.

I’m very involved for our township. You just go door to door.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 11:39:01 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 11:37:54 am »
But certainly a homeless guy couldn't run for a government seat. I mean, you gotta have a house and a car and do some sort of reputable work. Not everyone and anyone has a chance, right?

It depends on where you’re running and what you’re running for.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 11:39:44 am »
It depends on where you’re running and what you’re running for.

The guy who cleans up the deer carcasses off the road?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 12:06:18 pm »

It would depend upon the man.
I know of a county commissioner, wrecked by ALS, who's whole life was given to service...
He was never wealthy, nor educated, nor had he prowess, nor a glib tongue.