Author Topic: Trump administration recommends postal reforms that could raise rates, setting up fight with Amazon  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Applewood

Trump administration recommends postal reforms that could raise rates, setting up fight with Amazon

The Trump administration on Tuesday called on the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) to make sweeping reforms that could raise shipping rates for certain packages, a move that could inflame tensions with online retailers like Amazon, a frequent punching bag for President Trump.

The administration's USPS task force said in a new report that the changes are needed to bring in more revenue for the cash-strapped Postal Service, which reported $3.9 billion in losses in fiscal year 2018.

“Although the USPS does have pricing flexibility within its package delivery segment, packages have not been priced with profitability in mind,” reads an executive summary of the report.

More at:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/419695-trump-administration-recommends-postal-reforms-that-could-raise-rates

Offline Applewood

So who do Trump and his task force think will really pay those higher shipping costs?  It isn't going to be Trump's arch-enemy, Jeff Bezos.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
So who do Trump and his task force think will really pay those higher shipping costs?  It isn't going to be Trump's arch-enemy, Jeff Bezos.

Why should the PO and ultimately the Gov subsidize Bezo's megabillion dollar company.  If costs go up for shipping the consumer has a choice.  Pay the extra. Don't pay and get off their asses and shop with their feet. 

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Why should the PO and ultimately the Gov subsidize Bezo's megabillion dollar company.  If costs go up for shipping the consumer has a choice.  Pay the extra. Don't pay and get off their asses and shop with their feet. 

Exactly.

Offline kevindavis007

1. They are not..
2. The the postal rates does go up, look for Amazon to drop the Post Office like a hot potato..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

1. They are not..
2. The the postal rates does go up, look for Amazon to drop the Post Office like a hot potato..

It is a free market.  Bezos can shop the other shippers to find him a new whore.

Offline Frank Cannon

1. They are not..

That's alright. Bezos gotz drones baby.

Offline goodwithagun

1. They are not..

Yep. I’m sure another carrier would love that contract. And then when Amazon leaves USPS, what will happen to it then?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Smartpost deals with corporations like Amazon and junk mail are the only things keeping the USPS afloat.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline goodwithagun

Smartpost deals with corporations like Amazon and junk mail are the only things keeping the USPS afloat.

And I HATE Smartpost! It adds an extra day to my shipping from non-Amazon retailers!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Wingnut

That is a half truth.  Smartpost and Surepost are not that big a deal for the USPS revinue.  Union contracts with Fedex and UPS restrict the number of packages the companies can drop at the USPS for delivery.   Hence the packages sent via surepost and smartpost are actually never delivered by the postal service but by the UPS and Fedex trucks.

Once again the unions screw us.

Offline goodwithagun

That is a half truth.  Smartpost and Surepost are not that big a deal for the USPS revinue.  Union contracts with Fedex and UPS restrict the number of packages the companies can drop at the USPS for delivery.   Hence the packages sent via surepost and smartpost are actually never delivered by the postal service but by the UPS and Fedex trucks.

Once again the unions screw us.

USPS is also union. Our local office pays overtime once a year for their mandated fire drill. Everybody gets an hour’s worth of overtime for a five minute event.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline kevindavis007

USPS is also union. Our local office pays overtime once a year for their mandated fire drill. Everybody gets an hour’s worth of overtime for a five minute event.

I think that Amazon have their own deliverly service.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Applewood

It does, depending on where you are and whether Amazon has a distribution center in your area.  There is a distribution center near Pittsburgh and I've noticed lately several items were delivered to me by people either employed by or contracted with by Amazon.  It's called Amazon Logistics or AZL. 

Offline Wingnut

It is a very limited venture.  Look for thier drone service to replace those delivery people.

Offline corbe

The sad thing is that this is not the first time in our history that the USPS has been politically manipulated.
   One of the few Federally mandated guarantees?  Aren't we still on the hooks for their Pensions?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Seems like USPS ought to pay for itself. 

Offline goodwithagun

They’re advertising Amazon Drive heavily here.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The administration's USPS task force said in a new report that the changes are needed to bring in more revenue for the cash-strapped Postal Service, which reported $3.9 billion in losses in fiscal year 2018.

The post office loses money because of all the Affirmative Action hires they are forced to make,and then pay them to sit around the station and not handle or deliver any mail. There was one black single woman with 6 children that showed up every day,but never handled a single piece of mail the whole year I worked there before I retired. She had a note from her doctor saying she had a "delicate system that can't handle stress or physical labor",so all she did was answer the phone in the break room.

Then there were the female "letter carrier supervisors" that had never spent a day carrying letters themselves,and really didn't seem to have a job. They just kind of hung around and bitched at the letter carriers until they left on their routes to deliver the mail,and then disappeared themselves until late in the afternoon. I know of 1 that complained of the "stress of the job and the unfair treatment of female employees" that ended up getting a early full retirement after less than 5 years on the job. She also retired from the telephone company with full retirement after a couple of years due to "workplace stress from sexual harassment". I have no idea if she was humping a senior supervisor at the telephone company to help grease the retirement skids,but I do know she was humping a postmaster and keeping quiet about that sure didn't hurt her early retirement plans. There she was at age 35,with full retirement from two fairly high-paying jobs,and free to go look for another one.

Also,when I went to take the post office exam,there were Vietnamese refugees in the same room taking the same test I was,but they actually had translators that spoke Vietnamese helping them read and answer the questions. Oddly enough,they all passed the test.

And then there were a couple of black letter carriers I knew that were only allowed to work on 1 route and  couldn't be ordered to help anyone else on another route. I found out later the reason for this was they couldn't read or write,but had been sent to a special school and taught to recognize the addresses and names on the one route each was allowed to work. That's right,they couldn't read or write,but we are supposed to believe somehow that they passed the same written exam as the rest of us.

Don't get me started on the two lesbian letter carriers that threatened to file sexual harassment charges against local management and the post office itself who were talked out of it by both being made postmasters at two rural post offices near each other after their brief tours as assistant station managers in the big city didn't work out. One of them was at the station  I was working out of,and jumped me coming in one afternoon like some sort of screaming banshee,telling me that "You and all other men are steaming pieces of shit and if you piss me off again I will kick your ass!" I stopped right in my tracks,cocked my head to one side to give her a good shot,and told her to take her shot,but that once she did I was going to do my best to remove her bleeping head from her shoulders when I responded in kind. She ran into the office and locked the door behind her. Since there were witnesses standing around that saw and heard the whole thing,there was nothing she could do to get me fired.

And NONE of the people I have written about can be fired.  Your only options are to try to get them to quit,and they are NOT going to do that because they know they can get early full retirement if they push, or to continue to pay them a full salary to get them to show up every day and do nothing.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 12:05:32 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
USPS is also union.

@goodwithagun

Only partially true. Yes,there are postal unions,but joining one is NOT a requirement.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Seems like USPS ought to pay for itself.

@Sanguine

And they could easily do that AND turn a tidy profit at the same time IF Congress didn't keep crippling them with hiring mandates and PC regulations. Hard to run a successful business when you are being told who you can hire and fire,and who you can't hire and fire.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Sneakypete, thanks for having the courage to speak openly of what you saw.