Author Topic: BREAKING: Former President George H. W. Bush Has Died  (Read 18300 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: BREAKING: Former President George H. W. Bush Has Died
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2018, 02:23:16 pm »
Complete Bunk.  I don't see it as worrisome, but rather feeding into the minds of conspiracy theorists. Yes, I pointed out later on the Bush was not CIA director till 1976.  So no orders came from him during the assassination of Kennedy.

Seriously? Bush Sr., wasn't truly even into politics when he supposedly was identified.   

@libertybele

I'm with ya on the conspiracy stuff,but Bush Sr was ALWAYS involved in politics because he came from a political family. Political connections is where his family wealth originated.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2018, 02:26:11 pm »
Any surprise Trump is a miserable failure at graciousness too?

Any surprise that you @Once-Ler would talk trash in a thread paying tribute to a good man, father, and grandfather and our 41st President?  Let's move on shall we and reserve the snark and nastiness for another time?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2018, 02:29:46 pm »
This quote has been passed around our family dinner table many times as my father in law also can't stand broccoli...funny that they are the same age and his mother made him eat his broccoli.

"....I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli."

- George H. W. Bush

Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/george_h_w_bush
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:31:19 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2018, 02:50:30 pm »
This quote has been passed around our family dinner table many times as my father in law also can't stand broccoli...funny that they are the same age and his mother made him eat his broccoli.

"....I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli."

- George H. W. Bush

But even at that. He had played follow the leader for so long that when he was the leader all he could do was still follow.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #154 on: December 02, 2018, 02:52:23 pm »
Okay, where was Rafael Cruz prior to 1963? He may not have been involved with JFK; but where was he anyway? Why is this a mystery?

88finger point

Shouldn't be a problem to tell us then? Eh?

Cuban Peers Dispute Ted Cruz’s Father’s Story of Fighting for Castro

The school records of Rafael Cruz from 1954, when he was about 15 years old. Stories from his upbringing in Cuba, retold by Mr. Cruz and by his son, who is running for president, have hooked Republican audiences.CreditCreditLisette Poole for The New York Times

By Jason Horowitz

Nov. 9, 2015

MATANZAS, Cuba — Since he was a boy, Senator Ted Cruz has said, all he wanted to do was “fight for liberty” — a yearning that he says was first kindled when he heard his father’s tales of fighting as a rebel leader in Cuba in the 1950s, throwing firebombs, running guns and surviving torture.

Those stories, retold by Mr. Cruz and by his father, Rafael, have hooked Republican audiences and given emotional power to the message that the Texas senator is pushing as a contender for the party’s presidential nomination. In their telling, the father’s experience in Cuba — when the country was swept up by the charismatic young Fidel Castro, only to see him become a repressive Communist dictator — becomes a parable for the son’s nightmarish vision of government overreach under President Obama.

But the family narrative that has provided such inspirational fire to Mr. Cruz’s speeches, debate performances and a recently published memoir is, his father’s Cuban contemporaries say, an embroidered one.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/10/us/politics/cuban-peers-dispute-ted-cruzs-fathers-story-of-fighting-for-castro.html

Can't wait to hear the good-natured ribbing on this.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline musiclady

« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2018, 03:17:37 pm »
I know this article is from the NY Times, and we hate them, and I know that some of you despise GHW Bush and that every single one of us disagrees with his politics, but this is a touching article showing the sweetness of this good man, and I thought it might be nice to bring this thread back to it's point and away from the sniping...

‘I Love You, Too’: George Bush’s Final Days

By Peter Baker
Dec. 1, 2018

George Bush had been fading in the last few days. He had not gotten out of bed, he had stopped eating and he was mostly sleeping. For a man who had defied death multiple times over the years, it seemed that the moment might finally be arriving.

His longtime friend and former secretary of state, James A. Baker III, arrived at his Houston home on Friday morning to check on him.

Mr. Bush suddenly grew alert, his eyes wide open.

“Where are we going, Bake?” he asked.

“We’re going to heaven,” Mr. Baker answered.

“That’s where I want to go,” Mr. Bush said.

Barely 13 hours later, Mr. Bush was dead. The former president died in his home in a gated community in Houston, surrounded by several friends, members of his family, doctors and a minister. As the end neared on Friday night, his son George W. Bush, the former president, who was at his home in Dallas, was put on the speaker phone to say goodbye. He told him that he had been a “wonderful dad” and that he loved him.

“I love you, too,” Mr. Bush told his son.

Those were his last words.

Mr. Bush’s final days, as recounted on Saturday by Mr. Baker, who saw him repeatedly at the end and was in the room when he died, were remarkably peaceful after an eventful 94-year life that took him from the skies of the Pacific during World War II to the Oval Office at the end of the Cold War.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/01/us/politics/george-hw-bush-last-days.html?rref=collection%2Ftimestopic%2FBush%2C%20George%20W.&action=click&contentCollection=timestopics&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=collection
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #156 on: December 02, 2018, 03:18:20 pm »
I have an aunt that has always been able to remember things that happened before she was born. She probably could tell us what really happened with Rafael.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline TomSea

« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2018, 03:27:32 pm »
Leave it to the Constitution Party-types to tell us who is liable for criticism and who is not.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2018, 03:31:26 pm »
I know this article is from the NY Times, and we hate them, and I know that some of you despise GHW Bush and that every single one of us disagrees with his politics, but this is a touching article showing the sweetness of this good man, and I thought it might be nice to bring this thread back to it's point and away from the sniping...

By Peter Baker
Dec. 1, 2018

George Bush had been fading in the last few days. He had not gotten out of bed, he had stopped eating and he was mostly sleeping. For a man who had defied death multiple times over the years, it seemed that the moment might finally be arriving.

His longtime friend and former secretary of state, James A. Baker III, arrived at his Houston home on Friday morning to check on him.

Mr. Bush suddenly grew alert, his eyes wide open.

“Where are we going, Bake?” he asked.

“We’re going to heaven,” Mr. Baker answered.

“That’s where I want to go,” Mr. Bush said.

Barely 13 hours later, Mr. Bush was dead. The former president died in his home in a gated community in Houston, surrounded by several friends, members of his family, doctors and a minister. As the end neared on Friday night, his son George W. Bush, the former president, who was at his home in Dallas, was put on the speaker phone to say goodbye. He told him that he had been a “wonderful dad” and that he loved him.

“I love you, too,” Mr. Bush told his son.

Those were his last words.

Mr. Bush’s final days, as recounted on Saturday by Mr. Baker, who saw him repeatedly at the end and was in the room when he died, were remarkably peaceful after an eventful 94-year life that took him from the skies of the Pacific during World War II to the Oval Office at the end of the Cold War.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/01/us/politics/george-hw-bush-last-days.html?rref=collection%2Ftimestopic%2FBush%2C%20George%20W.&action=click&contentCollection=timestopics&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=collection

It truly is a very beautiful and touching story that clearly depicts the gentle side of him and the closeness of his family.  I've read it a couple of times from different news sources and it brings tears to my eyes.

Thanks for the post.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2018, 03:40:02 pm »
Bush family has been steeped in Planned Parenthood. GHW Bush had a humane view as president but I believe he was a big proponent of birth control as a congressman. Has to be said. Barbara seemed like a pro-choicer, Dubya's daughters are.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2018, 03:44:16 pm »
Live Action News:

Investigative
A history of George H.W. Bush’s relationship with Planned Parenthood
By Carole Novielli | September 29, 2016 , 02:02pm

One of the chief co-sponsors of the Title X statute, which allocates millions of federal tax dollars to Planned Parenthood and other family planning organizations, was Rep. George H.W. Bush (R-TX), who later became our nation’s 41st president. In 1970, the United States House of Representatives voted 298 to 32 to approve the Family Planning Services and Population Research Act, Title X of the Public Health Service Act, authorizing federal dollars to pay for family planning services to low-income women. The Senate had previously approved the legislation, which was also supported by Republican President Richard Nixon (more on Nixon’s views on race and population control here), and established the Office of Population Affairs within the Department of Health Education and Welfare to oversee it.

One of the chief co-sponsors of the Title X statute, which allocates millions of federal tax dollars to Planned Parenthood and other family planning organizations, was Rep. George H.W. Bush (R-TX), who later became our nation’s 41st president. In 1970, the United States House of Representatives voted 298 to 32 to approve the Family Planning Services and Population Research Act, Title X of the Public Health Service Act, authorizing federal dollars to pay for family planning services to low-income women. The Senate had previously approved the legislation, which was also supported by Republican President Richard Nixon (more on Nixon’s views on race and population control here), and established the Office of Population Affairs within the Department of Health Education and Welfare to oversee it.

Just prior to the 1970 passage of the Family Planning Act, Congressman George H.W. Bush suggested that family planning needed to become a “household word”:

We need to make population and family planning household words. We need to take sensationalism out of this topic so that it can no longer be used by militants who have no real knowledge of the voluntary nature of the program but, rather are using it as a political steppingstone. If family planning is anything, it is a public health matter.

Read more at: https://www.liveaction.org/news/history-of-george-h-w-bushs-relationship-planned-parenthood/

Again, by the time he was president, he may have evolved on the matter. I have heard as president, he was repulsed by abortion.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2018, 05:40:09 pm »
Any surprise that you @Once-Ler would talk trash in a thread paying tribute to a good man, father, and grandfather and our 41st President?  Let's move on shall we and reserve the snark and nastiness for another time?

@libertybele  I responded in anger to other posts that I didn't want to go unchallenged.  Not an excuse but an explanation.  You make a good point that this is not the right thread for that.  Peace.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2018, 05:51:36 pm »

By Peter Baker
Dec. 1, 2018

I was surprised when I first read that GWB spoke to his father by phone, from Dallas, I presume.  Were Jeb, Doro or Neil there?

Baker was there because he went to check on him.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 05:55:21 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2018, 05:53:39 pm »
George H.W. Bush, 41st president of the United States, dies at 94
Washington Post, Dec 1, 2018

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/george-hw-bush-41st-president-of-the-united-states-dies-at-94/2018/11/30/42fa2ea2-61e2-11e8-99d2-0d678ec08c2f_story.html?utm_term=.b2e1cfc47078

This is a long and pretty balanced review of the President's life.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2018, 07:03:52 pm »
It truly is a very beautiful and touching story that clearly depicts the gentle side of him and the closeness of his family.  I've read it a couple of times from different news sources and it brings tears to my eyes.

Thanks for the post.

You're welcome, @libertybele .  It brought tears to my eyes too.

I really think this thread needs to be about President Bush himself, and not the typical sniping at each other (and some pretty out there conspiracy theories).

Of course I'll be attacked for this sentiment, but somebody needs to stand up for respecting and honoring a man who was truly a hero.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #165 on: December 02, 2018, 07:13:01 pm »
You're welcome, @libertybele .  It brought tears to my eyes too.

I really think this thread needs to be about President Bush himself, and not the typical sniping at each other (and some pretty out there conspiracy theories).

Of course I'll be attacked for this sentiment, but somebody needs to stand up for respecting and honoring a man who was truly a hero.

I fully agree with you.  He was our most famous Astros fan too.  He attended 100's upon 100's of games after retiring from politics.  Happy for him (and me too) to see an Astros championship in our lifetime.

I did not agree with the GWHB 100% of the time, and he made too many concessions to the left.  Still, he was a war hero, and has compiled one of the most impressive public service resume's in American history.  To those who besmirched this honorable man......   We can easily see who the gaggle of resident Freepers are.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:54:48 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #166 on: December 02, 2018, 07:16:47 pm »
I fully agree with you.  He was our most famous Astros fan too.  He attended 100's upon 100's of games after retiring from politics.  Happy for him (and me too) to see an Astros championship in our lifetime.

I did not agree with the GWHB 100% of the time, and he made too many concessions to the left.  Still, he was a war hero, and has compiled one of the most impressive resume's in American history.  To those who besmirched this honorable man......   We can easily see who the gaggle of resident Freepers are.

Amen to every word.

EVERY word.  :patriot:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #167 on: December 02, 2018, 08:26:17 pm »
GHW Bush had a humane view as president but I believe he was a big proponent of birth control as a congressman.
Setting Mr. Bush to one side for the moment, I would remind people that birth control is not limited strictly to abortion, and that you can approve of birth control without concurrently approving of abortion.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #169 on: December 02, 2018, 09:31:56 pm »
President George H. W. Bush Blamed the Fed for his 1992 Reelection Loss – And the Fed is Doing the Same Thing to President Trump Today
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/12/president-george-h-w-bush-blamed-the-fed-for-his-1992-reelection-loss-and-the-fed-is-doing-the-same-thing-to-president-trump-today/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #170 on: December 02, 2018, 10:36:07 pm »
What?

He did say it at the UN. I checked because I didn't believe it. So you were saying?

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Proof?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2018, 11:43:51 pm »

Online DB

« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2018, 11:50:14 pm »
Proof?

There are many Google links that span years... None that I could find indicated it was a fake quote... And you would think with as many times it was repeated somebody would have refuted it if it were fake.

http://www.ourrepubliconline.com/Author/75

http://www.quoty.org/quote/1782

If you have evidence of otherwise present it.

« Reply #173 on: December 03, 2018, 01:27:25 am »
I was surprised when I first read that GWB spoke to his father by phone, from Dallas, I presume.  Were Jeb, Doro or Neil there?

Baker was there because he went to check on him.

Neil Bush and his family were with the President when he passed.

« Reply #174 on: December 03, 2018, 01:36:34 am »
An echo of history as Locomotive 4141 carries George H.W. Bush to his final resting place
Washington Post, Dec 2, 2018

HOUSTON — When the curtain parted in College Station, Tex., revealing a two-toned blue locomotive standing nearly 16 feet tall and bearing the number 4141 in his honor, former president George H.W. Bush looked around excitedly, his face breaking into a smile.

One word left his lips: Wow.

Thirteen years later, that same Union Pacific locomotive will escort the 41st president to his final resting place in College Station on Thursday afternoon after funeral ceremonies in Washington and Houston.

The train carrying his remains will leave a Union Pacific Railroad facility in Spring, a community north of Houston, and travel the 70 miles to College Station. Bush will be buried there, alongside his late wife and daughter, on the site of his presidential library at Texas A&M University.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/an-echo-of-history-as-locomotive-4141-carries-george-hw-bush-to-his-final-resting-place/2018/12/02/03281518-f64e-11e8-8d64-4e79db33382f_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1fa5ab5adb38