Author Topic: Democrats overwhelmingly nominate Pelosi as Speaker amid rebellion  (Read 578 times)

Offline corbe

Democrats overwhelmingly nominate Pelosi as Speaker amid rebellion

By Mike Lillis - 11/28/18 02:38 PM EST

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) claimed victory on Wednesday, saying she had won the Democratic nomination for Speaker amid an entrenched rebellion from insurgent lawmakers who pose the starkest threat to her long reign atop the party.

The outcome was no surprise. Pelosi was running uncontested and enjoys widespread support within the liberal-heavy caucus she’s led since 2003.

The much higher bar will come in the first week of January, when the full House meets to choose the Speaker in a public vote requiring a majority of the entire voting chamber. It’s there that the insurgents feel they can block Pelosi’s ascension, even as Pelosi and her allies have projected nothing but confidence that she’ll retake the gavel she lost following the red wave elections of 2010.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/418653-democrats-overwhelmingly-nominate-pelosi-as-speaker
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Re: Democrats overwhelmingly nominate Pelosi as Speaker amid rebellion
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 08:21:54 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 08:23:53 pm »
Not much of a "rebellion", was it?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 08:43:05 pm »
Not much of a "rebellion", was it?

Full Rat house has to vote on her botoxed brain to confirm.  I think it is a secret ballot? 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 08:45:12 pm »
GOP and Ryan have been noticeably silent since the election.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 08:56:02 pm »
By Mike Lillis - 11/28/18 02:38 PM EST

House Democrats voted overwhelmingly Wednesday to nominate Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) to the Speakership in a 203-32 vote.

The outcome was no surprise despite an entrenched rebellion from insurgent lawmakers who want changes to Democratic leadership. Pelosi was running uncontested and enjoys widespread support within the liberal-heavy caucus she’s led since 2003.

The 32 votes against her were fewer than the 63 votes won in a 2016 contest for minority leader by Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio), who ran against Pelosi at the time.

Still, Pelosi faces a tougher test the first week of January, when the full House meets to choose the Speaker in a public vote requiring a majority of the entire voting chamber.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/418653-democrats-overwhelmingly-nominate-pelosi-as-speaker
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 09:16:35 pm »
...after she and her goons threaten to break the legs of those who oppose her... ****slapping
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:28:07 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 09:18:50 pm »
She won the battle, but she still has a nutroots caucus. Should be some real interesting fireworks. Let's see how bat crazy she lets them get.
The Republic is lost.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 09:20:21 pm »
She won the battle, but she still has a nutroots caucus. Should be some real interesting fireworks. Let's see how bat crazy she lets them get.

I hope she will find it easy to control them.  As easy as herding cats.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:20:56 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 09:36:49 pm »
I'm not going to lie, I don't want one piece of important legislation passed the next two years. No bi-partisan compromises or any of that.

What I really want is a Dem House caucus that is reminiscent of Al Pacino in Scarface, coked up and firing off his zip gun while shouting 'Say ello to my leetle fren!.' Just complete wild-eyed crazy.
The Republic is lost.

Offline corbe

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 09:43:47 pm »
    I like that idea, also @Free Vulcan

Offline berdie

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 11:15:09 pm »
...after she and her goons threaten to break the legs of those who oppose her... ****slapping

I would absolutely agree with that!

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 02:11:35 am »
GOP and Ryan have been noticeably silent since the election.

Why distract from the optics of the Dems electing Pelosi as speaker?
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.