Author Topic: Donald Trump, you're no Ronald Reagan  (Read 4426 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Donald Trump, you're no Ronald Reagan
« on: November 28, 2018, 12:15:12 am »
Donald Trump, you're no Ronald Reagan
by Philip Klein
 | November 27, 2018 04:06 PM

President Trump should be holding off on future boasts that he is " far greater" than Ronald Reagan.

His latest comments were made in an interview that appears in a new book by boosters Corey R. Lewandowski and David N. Bossie called "Trump's Enemies."

As reported by my colleague Paul Bedard, Trump said, “The amazing thing is that you have certain people who are conservative Republicans that if my name weren’t Trump, if it were John Smith, they would say I’m the greatest president in history and I blow Ronald Reagan away."

He continued, “All these guys that if they looked at my agenda with a different name ... and he got the biggest regulation cuts in history in less than two years, judges, environmental stuff, getting out of the Paris horror show. If you said that conservative president John Smith did that, they would say he’s the greatest president. Far greater than Ronald Reagan.”

Trump is essentially making the case that anti-Trump conservatives will never give him credit for his accomplishments just because they have personal animus toward him.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/donald-trump-youre-no-ronald-reagan
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: Donald Trump, you're no Ronald Reagan
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 12:38:17 am »
He may not be 'no' Ronald Reagan but he deserves a lot of credit and has been unjustly criticized.  The left hates him; which is always a good sign.

If he can resolve the issues at the border and get the wall built, along with implementing some type of health care reform, he WILL go down as better than Reagan and one of the greatest president's this country has ever had.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 12:46:21 am »
He may not be 'no' Ronald Reagan but he deserves a lot of credit and has been unjustly criticized.  The left hates him; which is always a good sign.

If he can resolve the issues at the border and get the wall built, along with implementing some type of health care reform, he WILL go down as better than Reagan and one of the greatest president's this country has ever had.

I agree @libertybele and I support him in his efforts to accomplish those two things.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 12:49:42 am »
It may be debatable about whether Trump is Reaganesque or not but one thing is in no doubt.......Philip Klein is a douche.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 01:04:41 am »

If, if, and it's not looking likely anytime soon, he could gut 0care root and branch and turn illegal immigration around to the point where the number of illegals in the country was dropping drastically, I'd say he'd be in the neighborhood of Reagan.  At least in the eyes of those of us who lived through both.  As far as one of the greatest, I really doubt that.  I suspect Reagan will be remembered for the wall, "Honey I forgot to duck", and maybe (hopefully, because it's just a classic)  "I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience,".  Trump will also probably have a couple footnotes.  I doubt either will be remembered as greats in a few decades.  Sad as it is, a few generations from now most will know nothing of them, but they'll probably know exactly who Obama was (though, like us, they probably won't know his real name) and not because of all the things he screwed up.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 01:08:17 am »
If, if, and it's not looking likely anytime soon, he could gut 0care root and branch and turn illegal immigration around to the point where the number of illegals in the country was dropping drastically, I'd say he'd be in the neighborhood of Reagan.  At least in the eyes of those of us who lived through both.  As far as one of the greatest, I really doubt that.  I suspect Reagan will be remembered for the wall, "Honey I forgot to duck", and maybe (hopefully, because it's just a classic)  "I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience,".  Trump will also probably have a couple footnotes.  I doubt either will be remembered as greats in a few decades.  Sad as it is, a few generations from now most will know nothing of them, but they'll probably know exactly who Obama was (though, like us, they probably won't know his real name) and not because of all the things he screwed up.

I totally agree......Philip Klein is a douche.

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 01:48:48 am »
   More apt comparison, IMHO, Other than the judges and the Iran deal I see very little difference and results in Trump and obummer's 'in your face' style of governing.  :shrug:
   Back on Topic, Reagan also dealt with a dem house for his 8 years, something Trump is about to learn.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 01:59:48 am »
And I'd rather have George Patton as one of the JCS but he's dead.

Deal with it.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline berdie

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 02:03:51 am »
When I look back at Reagan...I liked him a lot. But he had flaws like most people do.

We'll see how history judges Trump and...GW Bush.

It's early yet.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 02:05:45 am »
When I look back at Reagan...I liked him a lot. But he had flaws like most people do.

We'll see how history judges Trump and...GW Bush.

It's early yet.

Bush?

The guy who wouldn't criticize Bammy but has no trouble giving Trump crap?

That Clown?
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline berdie

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 02:10:21 am »

Bush?

The guy who wouldn't criticize Bammy but has no trouble giving Trump crap?

That Clown?

Well. he did a good job during 9/11. I won't forget that.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 02:16:40 am »

Well. he did a good job during 9/11. I won't forget that.

He made you feel safe and good, for awhile. However building on his start, we are STILL in Afghanistan.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 02:40:49 am »
He made you feel safe and good, for awhile. However building on his start, we are STILL in Afghanistan.

Bush 43 screwed the balance of power in the Middle East toward Iran and did nothing to improve immigration vetting or border control.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 03:10:42 am by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 03:10:07 am »
FTA:

Ultimately, it will take decades to fairly assess Trump's legacy. But one thing that Reagan had going for him is that he had a coherent ideology that was easily translatable for future candidates in subsequent eras. Trump's eclectic brand is very personality driven and affected by his reaction to daily headlines, so it's less clear how his influence will be felt down the road.

Ronald Reagan's ideology was to make America great again.

He did the best he could to fulfill that promise in the world of four decades ago.  His accomplishments were helped by the tailwind of patriotism--not challenged by the headwinds of globalism fueled by politicians in every corner of the globe, including our own.  Even so Reagan made mistakes, including tripling the national debt and legitimizing blanket amnesty.

Ronald Reagan was a good President.  He was the right man for 1980 as Donald Trump is the right man for this moment.  In the fullness of time Reagan will hold his position as one of a handful of memorable, meaningful Presidents; and that handful will include Donald Trump.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 03:45:45 am »
IMHO, Reagan was "The Great Communicator"...Trump is "The Tweeter"

The military was in far worse shape when Reagan took office, and he had to worry about the Soviet Union. They had something like 50+ divisions and 50+ air bases in Eastern Europe to launch an attack on West Germany. Putin's got squat compared to that.

Interest rates were well into the double digits on Inauguration Day 1981. I'd say Reagan had bigger fish to fry when he took office. Trump responds with bellicose diatribes, Reagan simply remarked "there you go again."
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 03:50:25 am »
And I would like to add if I haven't yet......Philip Klein is a douche. That is all.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 04:28:56 am »
Ronald Reagan's ideology was to make America great again.

That is a slogan, not an ideology. That you consider it an ideology highlights the problem... In neon orange.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 04:34:31 am »
That is a slogan, not an ideology. That you consider it an ideology highlights the problem... In neon orange.

Let's all have a round of applause for Ken Duberstein everyone. Glad you are giving us your input on this forum Ken.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 04:56:27 am »
You're damn straight he's not. That flower wouldn't last 5 minutes in today's political atmosphere.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 04:57:26 am »
None of the other ones are going to cut it either. Trump has changed things. You need people with backbone.

Trump would have made Reagan his bitch in the primaries just like he did to Jeb Bush and that creepy bastard from Canada.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 05:02:40 am by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 11:34:42 am »
IMHO, Reagan was "The Great Communicator"...Trump is "The Tweeter"

The main difference is Reagan actually had a vision of what was good for the country and was not interested in self-aggrandizement.  Reagan brought a real, thoughtful message about his policies, when he addressed the nation on multiple occasions.  All Trump has managed to do is prove Liz Mair right.

! No longer available
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 11:39:54 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 01:40:56 pm »

Actually, it's an ideology expressed in a slogan.  And it is easily applicable to national and international policy.

I see not only the same slogan from Reagan and Trump, I see the same direction from both men:  lower taxes, strong military, pro-life, the quest for constitutionalist judges.   I actually see a stronger ideology from President Trump as he takes on globalism with renegotiated trade deals, pushes for stronger immigration control and border protection, and withdraws from idiotic treaties and agreement --- putting America first and making her great again   --- a slogan outlining a mission.

Won't it be the rats ass when history proves the Trump presidency more conservative than Reagan's?   :laugh:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 04:13:01 pm »

I resolved not to get into GWB discussions because it infuriates me how TBRers love to diss him.

He was a good governor of Texas and beat the old witch Ann Richards.  He was a good president and he is a good man.  He was wrong on some things and he certainly hasn't said anything about Trump that I didn't say for a year before he got the nomination.

As for comparisons with Reagan, Trump will never have the gentle charm of Reagan but he is right for the current times which are far from gentle.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline WhatWouldReaganDo

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 08:07:36 pm »
He's no Calvin Coolidge, either.

But maybe he'll be the next Warren Harding.
Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 08:22:25 pm »
He's no Calvin Coolidge, either.

But maybe he'll be the next Warren Harding.

Reagan wasn't close to Calvin either if you forgot. I recall a hell of a lot of spending going on in the 80's and a fair amount of govt' left when Ronny left.