Author Topic: After Losing $1 Billion to Tariffs, General Motors Announces 14,000 Layoffs  (Read 2187 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Trump's rally promises won't happen because of Trump's trade policies
By Eric Boehm
http://reason.com/blog/2018/11/26/after-losing-1-billion-to-tariffs-genera

Speaking to a cheering crowd in Youngstown, Ohio, in July of last year, President Donald Trump promised more jobs would soon be flowing to the blue-collar city.

"Let me tell you folks in Ohio and in this area, don't sell your house," Trump said at the time, to wild applause "We're going to get those jobs coming back, and we're going to fill up those factories or rip them down and build brand-new ones. It's going to happen."

Months later, though, Trump imposed new tariffs on imported steel and aluminum that increased prices for many American manufacturers, including carmakers. He followed those tariffs with others targeting Chinese-made goods, including parts used specifically in the manufacturing of automobiles. General Motors, in July, said Trump's tariffs would cost it more than $1 billion over a full year and the company's chief financial officer told Reuters that GM would deal with those added costs by "negotiating price reductions with suppliers, raising prices on more popular models, and cost cutting."

The cost-cutting happened on Monday, when GM announced that it would eliminate about 14,000 jobs in North America and could close five manufacturing plants . . . One could argue that it's not a direct line from Trump's tariffs to GM's announcement Monday. The automaker says the decision to reduce American production has to do with reduced demand for cars like the Chevrolet Cruze, which is built at the Ohio plant, and an overall strategic shift towards more popular crossover and SUV models . . .

. . . Still, the added cost imposed by the tariffs is surely a factor. As Scott Lincicome, a trade attorney and senior fellow at the Cato Institute,

pointed out on Twitter, that $1 billion could have paid for a years' salary for 24,000 assembly line workers (who make an average salary of $41,000) . . . (A)s long as the tariffs remain in place, GM and other American automakers have little incentive to expand production and every incentive to find new supply chains and cost-cutting strategies to avoid the import taxes . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Frank Cannon

Bullshit. GM is closing plants for building low quality cars no one wants. Other than rental car fleets who sees Chevy Cruzes anywhere. Impalas are overpriced. People wanting space by SUV's. The Volt is a punchline. The LeCrosse is irrelevant in the luxury car market along with the Caddy counterpart.

Tariffs are not the reason people gave up on these types of cars years ago. Better more fuel efficient SUV's and trucks did.

Offline RetBobbyMI

Bullshit. GM is closing plants for building low quality cars no one wants. Other than rental car fleets who sees Chevy Cruzes anywhere. Impalas are overpriced. People wanting space by SUV's. The Volt is a punchline. The LeCrosse is irrelevant in the luxury car market along with the Caddy counterpart.

Tariffs are not the reason people gave up on these types of cars years ago. Better more fuel efficient SUV's and trucks did.
100% correct. Now they want to force technology that no one wants onto cars, SUVs and trucks that people do buy and make them not sell. They’re still losers that didn’t deserve a bailout.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Wrong.  Obama wanted them.  Of course, he lied when he said he would buy one and never did.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,341719.msg1855004.html#msg1855004
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
We shouldn't prop up failing businesses. That seems like the opposite of free market. If GM can't survive a trade readjustment that will ultimately turn out better for the U.S, well, sorry about your luck!
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Frank Cannon

We shouldn't prop up failing businesses. That seems like the opposite of free market. If GM can't survive a trade readjustment that will ultimately turn out better for the U.S, well, sorry about your luck!

This isn't a trade adjustment. This is GM finally facing reality that no one wants their cars anymore. SUV's and trucks have been GM's bread and butter since the mid 90's.

Offline Dexter

This isn't a trade adjustment. This is GM finally facing reality that no one wants their cars anymore. SUV's and trucks have been GM's bread and butter since the mid 90's.

The tariff situation didn't help. It's a catalyst for what should have happened years ago. We should aggressively fight for better trade situations regardless of the impact it has on any one company.
-Socrates

Offline RetBobbyMI

The tariff situation didn't help. It's a catalyst for what should have happened years ago. We should aggressively fight for better trade situations regardless of the impact it has on any one company.
Trade is just a blame game for their ineptness. They and their union want everyone to buy American, yet they want to still buy cheap foreign steel so they can make huge profits on our dime. Screw ‘em. If they really want fair trade, then compete with products people will want and buy.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Dexter

Trade is just a blame game for their ineptness. They and their union want everyone to buy American, yet they want to still buy cheap foreign steel so they can make huge profits on our dime. Screw ‘em. If they really want fair trade, then compete with products people will want and buy.

Even if trade is completely at fault it doesn't matter. Sticking it to China is ultimately good for our economy. We are the baddest on the planet and nobody can do anything about it. People love to talk about how life isn't fair. Let's implement that on a national level.
-Socrates

Offline Frank Cannon

Tariffs didn't do shit. Lordstown has been on the chopping block for decades. All of these car programs were past their sell by date 5 years ago. This was a long time coming. If anyone has been following the writings of Bob Lutz over the years they were not surprised by any of this.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: After Losing $1 Billion to Tariffs, General Motors Announces 14,000 Layoffs
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 03:04:58 pm »
Hard to believe they are giving up on the Impala,and that the left is allowing them to dump the Volt.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 03:07:04 pm »

People wanting space by SUV's. 

@Frank Cannon

Not to mention pickup trucks. I see more new 4x4 Chevy trucks running up and down the road everyday than I do Japanese cars.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 03:09:23 pm »
@Frank Cannon

Not to mention pickup trucks. I see more new 4x4 Chevy trucks running up and down the road everyday than I do Japanese cars.

They are a better value for what Americans do. Even women are driving them.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 03:10:06 pm »

Every single auto you mention is on the chopping block.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 03:14:11 pm »
Every single auto you mention is on the chopping block.

You are correct. That is why I cited them.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 03:36:13 pm »
They are a better value for what Americans do. Even women are driving them.

Women driving pick up trucks.  Imagine that!
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 01:34:33 am »
Hard to believe they are giving up on the Impala,and that the left is allowing them to dump the Volt.
If the left wanted the Volt, where are all the customers buying them?

Even the left does not want that electrified garbage can.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 01:36:52 am »

I keep mine in the kitchen but I guess some get loose. There ought to be a law.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 02:30:32 am »

My husband says says things like that but only when we are in public places where it's unlikely that I'll hurt him.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 02:42:08 am »

You keep your truck in the kitchen?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 02:50:08 am »
They probably aren’t wearing tight short skirts. That high step would be a killer.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 02:56:50 am »
If the left wanted the Volt, where are all the customers buying them?

@IsailedawayfromFR

Many in the left do own electric cars. Not a cheap Chebby electric car,though. They buy the ones made by Musk,and then keep them parked in their garages to take out and drive around on Earth Day. Other than that,they go in their Mercedes or Range Rovers unless they have a limo service.

What do you think those people are,barbarians?

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 12:26:56 pm »
They probably aren’t wearing tight short skirts. That high step would be a killer.

No worse than trying to get in and out of a Corvette.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 02:27:07 pm »
No worse than trying to get in and out of a Corvette.
Don’t see many woman driving a vette compared to a pickup or medium to large SUV.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 02:40:30 pm »
Don’t see many woman driving a vette compared to a pickup or medium to large SUV.

True, but women date men who drive Corvettes, which is why I understand the difficulties involved in getting in and out of a Vette in a straight skirt and high heels.😊