Author Topic: Merkel: EU States Must Prepare to Hand National Sovereignty over to Brussels  (Read 526 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Merkel: EU States Must Prepare to Hand National Sovereignty over to Brussels
Breitbart Europe, Nov 23, 2018, Virginia Hale

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said that European Union (EU) member states must be prepared to transfer powers over to Brussels at a debate on the ‘tensions’ between globalisation and national sovereignty.  “Nation states must today be prepared to give up their sovereignty,” Merkel said, speaking at an event organised by the Konrad Adenauer Foundation in Berlin on Wednesday.

“In an orderly fashion of course,” Merkel said, explaining that — while Germany had given up some of its sovereignty in order to join the EU, national parliaments were in charge of deciding whether to sign up to international treaties.

[...]

Earlier in the day, the Chancellor had previously accused critics of her plans to sign up to the Global Compact for Safe and Orderly Migration, which declares migration ‘inevitable, necessary and desirable’, of advocating “nationalism in its purest form”.

“That is not patriotism, because patriotism is when you include others in German interests and accept win-win situations,” insisted Merkel, paraphrasing her French counterpart Emmanuel Macron, who recently claimed that “patriotism is the exact opposite of nationalism [because] nationalism is treason”.

More:  https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2018/11/23/merkel-eu-hand-sovereignty-brussels/

President Hillary would be standing shoulder to shoulder with Merkel.

Oceander

The constituent states of the United States did exactly the same thing:  handed over a goodly chunk of sovereignty to the federal government. 

What makes this any different?

Offline kevindavis007

The constituent states of the United States did exactly the same thing:  handed over a goodly chunk of sovereignty to the federal government. 

We have a history of being united. They don't.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Sometimes playing instigator just falls flat.  This is one of those times.   :shrug:

Oceander

We have a history of being united. They don't.

(1) We didn’t back in 1789, at least not significantly greater than they have now, and

(2) Why is that remotely relevant?

If they want to organize into a United States of Europe, then they’re following the same path the disparate 13 colonies did back in the late 1700s.  And those that don’t want to can Brexit.

Oceander

Sometimes playing instigator just falls flat.  This is one of those times.   :shrug:

I’m not instigating.  I’m asking why this should be so controversial when it’s been part of the long-term plan for a united Europe for decades, and since it’s exactly what the 13 colonies did back in 1789.

I’m not instigating.  I’m asking why this should be so controversial when it’s been part of the long-term plan for a united Europe for decades, and since it’s exactly what the 13 colonies did back in 1789.

I'm not buying you see no difference between independence in 1789 and surrender in 2018.

And if you don't, I'd rather you just keep it a secret. 

Oceander

I'm not buying you see no difference between independence in 1789 and surrender in 2018.

And if you don't, I'd rather you just keep it a secret. 

What?

1789 wasn’t about independence.  It was about the individual states surrendering power to the newly-formed federal government. 

In other words, same difference.