Author Topic: Mississippi Senate Upset?  (Read 314 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Mississippi Senate Upset?
« on: November 23, 2018, 03:23:28 pm »
Mississippi Senate Upset?

David Byler

November 20, 2018 at 9:34 PM
Election Day is still here, people!

Mississippi’s special Senate election was supposed to be a post-election snooze-fest. Mississippi is one of the most reliably Republican states and even if Republicans somehow found a way to blow it, the GOP was going to maintain the Senate majority anyway.

But, weirdly enough, Republicans are starting to worry about this race. Republican Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith (who was appointed to the seat earlier this year) recently said that she complimented a supporter by saying “if he invited me to a public hanging, I’d be on the front row”—which isn’t good in any context, but especially not in a state with a history of lynching. And she has now followed that up with a couple more rough news cycles. Hyde-Smith is running against Mike Espy, a former Agriculture secretary and Mississippi congressman and probably one of the best candidates Democrats had in Mississippi.

So should Republicans be worried? Is Hyde-Smith in trouble?

To get a handle on this question I’m going to talk through (1) what type of a red state Mississippi is; (2) what an upset or narrow win would look like demographically; and (3) how likely an Espy win is.

more
https://www.weeklystandard.com/david-byler/could-mike-espy-shock-cindy-hyde-smith-in-a-mississippi-senate-upset
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Mississippi Senate Upset?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 12:25:29 am »
If you go to the source article, and view the graphic, keep in mind that the blue areas are very much a part of the "black belt" of the South.

Look at the blue area below: