Author Topic: Trump: Matthew Whitaker calls the shots on whether to rein in Mueller  (Read 322 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump: Matthew Whitaker calls the shots on whether to rein in Mueller
by Kelly Cohen
 | November 18, 2018 11:44 AM

President Trump indicated that he will not dictate the actions of acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker in his role overseeing special counsel Robert Mueller — which could include curtailing the Russia investigation.

In an interview on "Fox News Sunday," when asked if he would be okay with Whitaker moving to limit or curtail the Mueller investigation, Trump said, "It's going to be up to him."

Whitaker is now in charge of oversight of Mueller’s investigation after he was appointed acting attorney general. Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein had been in charge since May 2017, following the recusal of then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Mueller's team is investigation Russian election interference in 2016 and possible collusion between the Trump presidential campaign and the Kremlin.

“I think he’s very well aware politically. I think he’s astute politically,” Trump said Sunday of Whitaker. “He’s a very smart person. A very respected person. He’s going to do what’s right. I really believe he’s going to do what’s right.”

Democrats are concerned that Whitaker will, at the direction of Trump, attempt to curb Mueller’s investigation. Whitaker could limit funds, deny subpoenas, and turn down the opening of a new investigation lead.

The fear that Whitaker — the former chief of staff to Sessions — would take such actions has been bolstered by prior comments he made before he joined the Justice Department about how he disagreed with the special counsel, and actions an attorney general could make to limit the inquiry.

When asked by Fox News’ Chris Wallace if he would or would not overrule Whitaker, the president said he will keep his distance.

“I would not get involved. And all these people that say I’m going to end the investigation, you know, they’ve been saying that now for — how long has this witch hunt gone on? It’s gone on for what?” Trump said.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/trump-matthew-whitaker-calls-the-shots-on-whether-to-rein-in-mueller
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Trump: Matthew Whitaker calls the shots on whether to rein in Mueller
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 12:56:14 am »
Good.
Go get 'im, Mr. Whitaker...!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Trump: Matthew Whitaker calls the shots on whether to rein in Mueller
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 03:46:58 am »
Matt needs to review the work, then tell Mueller to wrap it up and do a final report by next session of Congress.

Then, he needs to go after the dossier scandal.
The Republic is lost.