Author Topic: Rise of big cities push Texas to swing-state territory — maybe by 2020  (Read 1156 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rise of big cities push Texas to swing-state territory — maybe by 2020
By Reid Wilson - 11/18/18 06:00 AM EST

SAN ANTONIO — For a quarter century, Republicans have dominated Texas politics so much that the Democratic minority has often been an afterthought. The big political battles in Austin have been fought between conservative and centrist factions within the GOP, as Democrats watch from the sidelines.

But Democratic gains in this year’s midterm elections on the federal, state and county level show the prospect that Texas will become a swing state —a promise Democrats have made for years — is slowly coming to fruition.

Texas’s evolution illustrates two of the defining inflection points in American politics today: A growing divide between liberal urban cores and conservative rural bastions; and a shift in attitudes of suburban voters turned off by President Trump and his Republican Party.

Those factors have helped turn states like Nevada and Colorado blue, as large metropolitan areas like Las Vegas and Denver dominate more conservative rural areas. At the same time, they have pushed states like Pennsylvania and Michigan toward purple status, as the once-dominant metro areas like Philadelphia and Detroit lose population and political influence.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/417140-rise-of-big-cities-push-texas-to-swing-state-territory-maybe-by-2020
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Cities will do that, in general, cities are blue with some exceptions. The more centered and based we are in cities, the more bluer we will become.  The more rural a state is, the better the chances that it will be red. It's unfortunate if the majority of the population is in cities.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Rise of big cities push Texas to swing-state territory — maybe by 2020
By Reid Wilson - 11/18/18 06:00 AM EST

Those factors have helped turn states like Nevada and Colorado blue, as large metropolitan areas like Las Vegas and Denver dominate more conservative rural areas.

@Reid Wilson is a clueless fool. Denver has pretty much been a Dim stronghold since the 40's. Maybe even longer. It was a Dim kingdom when I lived there in the 70's,and has had  a massive influx of people from Mexico and parts south,as well as from California since the 70's. I understand the same it true of Colorado Springs now,and has always been true of Boulder,Vail,Aspen,etc,etc,etc.

When I was living there there was even a multi-millionaire mayor arrested as a co-conspirator with the Denver post master. They had a scam going where the postmaster was declaring brand new postal jeeps and trucks as used surplus,and selling them at fixed auctions to a wholesale company owned by the Denver major,and then sold as the low-mileage new vehicles they really were to out of state wholesalers. Some may have even been sold in Mexico.

The guy that replaced him as Mayor was busted after the editor/owner of the Denver Post pulled a concealed 44 Magnum revolver on another Dim in the bar of the Denver Athletic Club.while drunk,and threatening to kill him.The guy who inherited The Denver Post was a loyal millionaire contributor to Dim causes as well as someone who could be counted on to see news reported "edited" to always make Republicans look evil,and Dims to be victims. One example was printing watered-down news stories about the previous mayor's arrest and conviction. The new mayor got in trouble since Denver had a system in place where ONLY CCW applicants approved personally by the Mayor would be issued,and Denver had a law restricting "civilian" CCW carry to 38 Special revolvers. The Denver Post wrote the story up as a misunderstanding,and said the weapon involved was a legal weapon,and used quotes by the mayor,who was in the bar that night,as verification.

Then the Rocky Mount News wrote the true story and the lies blew up in their faces,with local tv news camera crews chasing them and everybody connected to them down looking for comments.

BTW,I was working for a private security agency at that time that had the contract to provide security for the Denver Athletic Club,so I got the real lowdown on what had happened from guys I knew that were working there that night. It made reading the newspapers and watching the tv news reports VERY interesting. This is also related to me knowing that Denver only issued carry permits for 38 Special revolvers because I had one of the permits myself and knew the city regulations.

The typical NYC politician might blush at hearing some of the stuff the Dim politicians got away with every day.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Is "The rise of the big cities" another way of saying they are being flooded with illegal alien voters and property tax refugees from California?

Offline TomSea

@Reid Wilson is a clueless fool. Denver has pretty much been a Dim stronghold since the 40's. Maybe even longer. It was a Dim kingdom when I lived there in the 70's,and has had  a massive influx of people from Mexico and parts south,as well as from California since the 70's. I understand the same it true of Colorado Springs now,and has always been true of Boulder,Vail,Aspen,etc,etc,etc.

When I was living there there was even a multi-millionaire mayor arrested as a co-conspirator with the Denver post master. They had a scam going where the postmaster was declaring brand new postal jeeps and trucks as used surplus,and selling them at fixed auctions to a wholesale company owned by the Denver major,and then sold as the low-mileage new vehicles they really were to out of state wholesalers. Some may have even been sold in Mexico.

The guy that replaced him as Mayor was busted after the editor/owner of the Denver Post pulled a concealed 44 Magnum revolver on another Dim in the bar of the Denver Athletic Club.while drunk,and threatening to kill him.The guy who inherited The Denver Post was a loyal millionaire contributor to Dim causes as well as someone who could be counted on to see news reported "edited" to always make Republicans look evil,and Dims to be victims. One example was printing watered-down news stories about the previous mayor's arrest and conviction. The new mayor got in trouble since Denver had a system in place where ONLY CCW applicants approved personally by the Mayor would be issued,and Denver had a law restricting "civilian" CCW carry to 38 Special revolvers. The Denver Post wrote the story up as a misunderstanding,and said the weapon involved was a legal weapon,and used quotes by the mayor,who was in the bar that night,as verification.

Then the Rocky Mount News wrote the true story and the lies blew up in their faces,with local tv news camera crews chasing them and everybody connected to them down looking for comments.

BTW,I was working for a private security agency at that time that had the contract to provide security for the Denver Athletic Club,so I got the real lowdown on what had happened from guys I knew that were working there that night. It made reading the newspapers and watching the tv news reports VERY interesting. This is also related to me knowing that Denver only issued carry permits for 38 Special revolvers because I had one of the permits myself and knew the city regulations.

The typical NYC politician might blush at hearing some of the stuff the Dim politicians got away with every day.

You're logic may be correct @sneakypete

But that might be explained away by saying "but the cities are growing at a quicker rate" vs. rural areas, so if Denver had more Democrats at 300,000, it has even more at 700,000 for example and would be disproportional to the rural areas.

Denver grew by 100,000 people in just 7 years — but the pace has slowed for the 2nd straight year
New census estimates show Broomfield and Douglas counties with fastest growth rates in the metro area

Back in 1990, the city’s population stood at 467,854, the most recent significant low point after years of declines through the 1980s, according to data from the Colorado State Demography Office.

Over the next 27 years, the city’s population grew by more than 236,000, as housing developers built out Lowry, Stapleton and Green Valley Ranch, while older neighborhoods added significant density.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/22/denver-population-growth-100000-7-years-pace-slowing/

Conservatives might be moving to these places, say, jobs in tech or oil or whatever but then, the additional jobs that sprout up, say, grocery stores (not to knock grocery stores), hotels, and so on... might bring in liberals as well.

Las Vegas, NV is a known fast growing city, one can see how that could apply to there, the population balance is tipped more to cities as it has grown rapidly.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 04:13:01 pm by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You're logic may be correct @sneakypete

But that might be explained away by saying "but the cities are growing at a quicker rate" vs. rural areas, so if Denver had more Democrats at 300,000, it has even more at 700,000 for example and would be disproportional to the rural areas.

Conservatives might be moving to these places, say, jobs in tech or oil or whatever but then, the additional jobs that sprout up, say, grocery stores (not to knock grocery stores), hotels, and so on... might bring in liberals as well.

Las Vegas, NV is a known fast growing city, one can see how that could apply to there, the population balance is tipped more to cities as it has grown rapidly.

What you say is completely true. It is just the nature of things,and there is nothing that can be done to reverse it or stop it. There are no jobs for young people in rural areas,so they are going to continue to move to cities. As these rural youts grow and learn,they will start to absorb some of the leftist "logic" from all the air around them. It is unavoidable. Put pretty much any 18 to 25 year old into a situation where they are surrounded by by group think peers,and within a year or two they will be what they just met. Getting along with the others in yuor "tribe" is a survival trait of human nature.

This is why the communists take the long-view and go for subversion instead of actual warfare. They have been at work on this in America since at least the 1920's.

If there is an answer to this problem,I sure wish someone would tell me what it is.

Offline TomSea

The premise is "rise of the big cities", not cities' populations remaining stagnant... cities for the most part are growing. Boise, Idaho was the "fastest growing city" per one article I saw not long ago, it would be a pity to see something like that happen. I don't know if it would. I know the conventional logic is that some cities are really tipping the population balance of the state to the cities and that's kind of dire.

Let's not forget, Colorado had those counties that wanted to secede from Denver and the metropolises  not too long ago.  I think the people involved and living there would know something.

You sure as heck wouldn't have this "secede from Denver" talk if everything was as it was in the 1970s.

http://www.allgov.com/news/unusual-news/rural-county-sets-vote-to-secede-from-colorado-130823?news=850926

https://kdvr.com/2013/11/05/n-coloado-secession-results-11-counties-to-vote/

N. Colorado secession results: 6 of 11 counties vote ‘no’

DENVER — Following the Democrats’ dominance during the 2013 legislative session, a group of Weld County Commissioners weighed an idea: what if their county, and possibly others, were to secede and form a 51st state?

In Weld County, voters oppose #secession question by a 58-42 percent margin w/ 54K votes in. #COpolitics

— Eli Stokols (@EliStokols) November 6, 2013

It turns out six of the 11 counties voting on the proposal turned it down.

So, over half of the counties didn't go with it but it was still under discussion.

By the same token, you could conceivably have this kind of scenario even with Atlanta.

Offline TomSea

States set up positives that bring businesses in, no taxes, low taxes, tax breaks, it brings in more people... good business environment but then, maybe the vote gets liberalized. I think maybe so.... business growth is good but then, take somewhere where growth isn't that astronomical like Tulsa, it largely remains a conservative place.  I'm not sure how this can be remedied except by persuading youth and others, the conservative way is better. It's quite a dilemma.

Adding on as well, as I've heard discussed before, we don't want a political system where say, it's the Democrat party, they are the "minority party", GOP is the white party, to make generalizations, obviously not all true.

It's like Rush says, the Democrats need an underclass.

Though, at the same time, a productive economy could convince people to vote Republican. One can say, you haven't had it this good.  This is where this gets complex indeed.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 04:37:54 pm by TomSea »

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
A harbinger of the future in Texas are birthrates.

Look at the birthrates for:
- non-Hispanic whites,
vis-a-vis
- illegal Hispanics.

Which demographic group is having more babies?
(Do you really need to think about this?)

That may not matter for the 2020 election, but...
... it will certainly matter by 2030-2040.
Who are these "children of illegals" going to vote for when they reach voting age?

Demography is destiny.
In Texas, it's really just a matter of time...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
A harbinger of the future in Texas are birthrates.

Look at the birthrates for:
- non-Hispanic whites,
vis-a-vis
- illegal Hispanics.

(Do you really need to think about this?)

That may not matter for the 2020 election, but...
... it will certainly matter by 2030-2040.
Who are these "children of illegals" going to vote for when they reach voting age?

Demography is destiny.
In Texas, it's really just a matter of time...

@Fishrrman

This is going to be unpopular,but the basic truth is that despite being and always have been a minority of the world population,it was whites are the ones responsible for civilization.

The difference is that the white people of olde are all dead,and the white people of today are more concerned with group hugs and having the world love them than they are in maintaining peace,order,and reason in the world.

The percentage of whites in the world population is getting smaller ever day as white women have non-white children and white couples only have one child,and the day will come when anarchy and tribalism reins in the world once again,and the remaining whites will be hunted down and killed to prevent them from taking over again.

Now,the majority of the Globalist "movers and shakers" in the world that are behind globalism are white or Jewish,and truth to tell,the Jewish are only Jews of convenience when they need something to hide behind. They think that they will be able to keep everyone in their little kingdoms under control,but I have my doubts. After all,whites are the only group of people who have ever had any real interest in open governments and fair play. Once they/we are gone,who are the bankers going to use as a barrier to keep the peons from climbing their castle walls?

Eventually civilization will fall,and the world will return to local rule by local tribes of people who are suspicious of and hate anyone that doesn't look like them,and there will be a perpetual state of warfare amongst the surviving tribes. Just like there always was in our own history.

Unless of course the global rulers start feeding the peons a diet of "Soylent Green" to keep the help sedated and happy.

Not that any of this means we need to just lay down and let them roll right over us. IF enough people wake up and we stop promoting and enabling people who are unqualified due to the color of their skins or who they are related to, and really allow the "Cream of all the crops" to float to the top,this might not happen. I am not optimistic about this,but I have been wrong before. You can never go wrong betting that human nature wins.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 08:09:13 pm by sneakypete »

Offline TomSea

By 2030-40, the Republicans could become the favorites of minorities. These changes do happen, just keep on keeping on.

I think too, that's why Kanye West was reigned in per getting political, you take 10 percentage points or even less from the minorities votes for Democrats, the GOP will benefit big-big time. People have to stay on the plantation.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 08:15:47 pm by TomSea »

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL

I guess there's not much else to do when the only thing you own is your genitals.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
sneakypete wrote:
"Not that any of this means we need to just lay down and let them roll right over us. IF enough people wake up and we stop promoting and enabling people who are unqualified due to the color of their skins or who they are related to, and really allow the "Cream of all the crops" to float to the top,this might not happen. I am not optimistic about this,but I have been wrong before. You can never go wrong betting that human nature wins."

You're not tellin' me anything I haven't known for decades.

I have a nearly-complete collection of American Renaissance (print edition) that I've kept over the years, I was an early-subscriber from back around 1991 (and I don't care what others may think for my having said so).

I'm actually amused by some of the threads I've seen posted lately (here and on "that other site") regarding the attacks on whites that seem to be increasing in number and vengeance. I was writing and posting about this years ago at TOS, and eventually got banned there, accused of you-know-what. But it's funny, what I said then was milquetoast and diluted, vis-a-vis what I see being openly posted these days ... both there.... and here.

Regarding "whites as the 'new Jews'", see this post of mine from almost 10 years ago:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1676833/posts?page=99#99

A lot of folks here are "gettin' their eyes opened" about this.
But me... nahhhh.... saw it comin' 'way back.

Time is running out.
The white folks still have the wherewithal to save themselves.
But... I'm not optimistic.
Dey be... ¡estupido!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:36:56 am by Fishrrman »

Offline GrouchoTex

Texas has 6 cities in the top 20 in population, 3 are in the top 10.
Yes, I fear it will go blue.
Harris County, where Houston is, is the next county over from mine, Ft. Bend.
Ft. Bend is one of the fastest growing counties in the country.
It has been reliably red in my 20+ years of living here, until 2 weeks ago.
Every race in the midterms, except one, went blue.
The only one that did not was Pete Olsen, US congressman who's district goes all the way to Clear Lake, where NASA is located.
Many reasons why, a lot of them mentioned here.
Unless the Democrats go full-on crazy, it will be tough to stay Red.
As far as I can tell, even full-on crazy may not be enough.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Texas has 6 cities in the top 20 in population, 3 are in the top 10.
Yes, I fear it will go blue.
Harris County, where Houston is, is the next county over from mine, Ft. Bend.
Ft. Bend is one of the fastest growing counties in the country.
It has been reliably red in my 20+ years of living here, until 2 weeks ago.
Every race in the midterms, except one, went blue.
The only one that did not was Pete Olsen, US congressman who's district goes all the way to Clear Lake, where NASA is located.
Many reasons why, a lot of them mentioned here.
Unless the Democrats go full-on crazy, it will be tough to stay Red.
As far as I can tell, even full-on crazy may not be enough.

Texas should have built a wall on the North and the South.  People are moving to Texas only to become what they escaped from.  Inner cities always tend to be full of minorities as conservatives move to suburbs and farther out.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline GrouchoTex

Texas should have built a wall on the North and the South.  People are moving to Texas only to become what they escaped from.  Inner cities always tend to be full of minorities as conservatives move to suburbs and farther out.

"Farther out", evidently....

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Meanwhile, we had another election where a Democrat failed to win a statewide election.

It has now been 24 years and counting for a single Democrat to win across the state.

And 38 years since a Democrat presidential candidate won Texas.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington