Author Topic: Shock of irrelevance awaits House Republicans in minority  (Read 902 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Shock of irrelevance awaits House Republicans in minority
« on: November 17, 2018, 02:37:31 pm »
Shock of irrelevance awaits House Republicans in minority
by David M. Drucker
 | November 17, 2018 12:00 AM

Early next year, after the Democratic Party has assumed control of the House of Representatives, newly powerless, irrelevant Republicans are going to chase down reporters and beg for questions about President Trump’s tweets.

Veterans of past Capitol Hill power shifts say House Republicans are in for a major jolt, as a depleted conference dominated by members elected since 2010 experience for the first time the obscurity and impotence of life in the minority. In contrast to the Senate, power in the House derives from numbers, and after a midterm election drubbing, Republicans don’t have them.

“There’s going to be a real awakening,” said Tom Reynolds, a Republican from Buffalo who retired from Congress in 2009 after five terms. Reynolds, now a senior adviser at a D.C. lobbying shop, was chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee in 2006, when Democrats had last flipped the House prior to this year.

The desertion of the Washington press corps is perhaps the biggest culture shock that awaits House Republicans when the 116th Congress convenes in January.

With possession of the speaker’s gavel and committee chairmanships, the Republican Party has dictated the terms of legislation in the House. That majority has afforded competing factions of rank-and-file Republicans — such as the conservative House Freedom Caucus — the ability to shape or block legislation favored by GOP leadership.

All of that attracts an inordinate amount of media coverage — coverage that after the midterm elections quickly moved across the aisle to focus on House Democrats as sorted out leadership responsibilities and divvied up the spoils of their Nov. 6 victory. Even President Trump’s usual Twitter antics, usually a staple of the topics House Republicans are asked to comment on, weren’t enough to halt the exodus.

Michael Steel, who advised Ohio Republican John Boehner, first as House minority leader and then as speaker, compared transitioning to the minority to a superhero losing his powers.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/shock-of-irrelevance-awaits-house-republicans-in-minority
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Shock of irrelevance awaits House Republicans in minority
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 02:54:46 pm »
I don't know what this author is talking about. Republicans LOVE being in the minority. It seems like that's what they wanted. Trust me, Republicans will do just fine. The minority is their 'comfort zone'. Slinking off back into the shadows is their specialty.

Nobody is happier about losing the House than Paul Ryan. Now, with a big sigh of relief, he doesn't have to make any decisions at all. And that is just the way he likes it.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 03:13:04 pm »
How much of a shock can it be when they spend 95% of their time practicing being irrelevant?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Absalom

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 03:52:34 am »
Er..………..so they were relevant when they were in the majority???
Who knew?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 03:59:07 am »
Can anyone cite when any of these pathetic clowns were ever relevant since the early 2000's? All they ever did was find ways to abdicate their responsibilities. That is why the courts and Executive branch have been running everything the last 15 or so years.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 04:12:00 am »
House Republicans are more comfortable being in the Minority.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 04:31:09 am »
The Republicans enjoy being the "Washington Generals"

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 05:35:21 am »
Can anyone cite when any of these pathetic clowns were ever relevant since the early 2000's? All they ever did was find ways to abdicate their responsibilities. That is why the courts and Executive branch have been running everything the last 15 or so years.

What?  You've already forgotten Paul "the Pitbull" Ryan?

Brave Sir Ryan ran away.
Bravely ran away, away!
When danger reared its ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Ryan turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.
Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat,
Bravest of the brave, Sir Trump!
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 05:50:17 am »
What?  You've already forgotten Paul "the Pitbull" Ryan?

Brave Sir Ryan ran away.
Bravely ran away, away!
When danger reared its ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Ryan turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.
Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat,
Bravest of the brave, Sir Trump!

IKR.  That bastard created a tax cut.  The GOP don't need that crap...and now that the GOP has lost the House nobody is credibly pushing for taxcuts for working Americans.  Real Republican's are focusing on the important issue of sending American military might at shoe-less refugees.  MAGA!!!

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 06:03:12 am »
IKR.  That bastard created a tax cut.  The GOP don't need that crap...and now that the GOP has lost the House nobody is credibly pushing for taxcuts for working Americans.  Real Republican's are focusing on the important issue of sending American military might at shoe-less refugees.  MAGA!!!

Don't get me wrong, that $11/year tax cut was, like, awesome and stuff.  I'm not sure what I'll do if we don't get one or two more of those.

Though, to be honest, I'd be willing to give up (at least for now) at tax cut if our government would actually use our tax dollars for stuff like defending our borders.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 06:28:12 am »
Don't get me wrong, that $11/year tax cut was, like, awesome and stuff.  I'm not sure what I'll do if we don't get one or two more of those.

Though, to be honest, I'd be willing to give up (at least for now) at tax cut if our government would actually use our tax dollars for stuff like defending our borders.

I love the cut of your jib.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 09:42:47 am »
Nobody is happier about losing the House than Paul Ryan. Now, with a big sigh of relief, he doesn't have to make any decisions at all. And that is just the way he likes it.

He hasn’t cared for a long time, because he knew he was retiring, long before the midterms.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.