Author Topic: Federalist Society members form group to stand up to Trump  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Federalist Society members form group to stand up to Trump
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2018, 05:23:42 am »
No.  They didn't claim to be speaking for the organization -- just for themselves as individuals who happen to be members.  And the statements they've made apart from this written statement also have been very careful to distinguish their own beliefs from that of the organization.

Zero chance they'll be kicked out.  One thing that makes the Federalist Society different from almost every similar group is that different views are not silenced.  Back when it started, conservatives/originalists were hard to find within the legal profession and law schools, and didn't speak out all that much.  As a consequence, the organization has deliberately invited those with dissenting views to participate in conferences, panels, etc..  It's actually very clever, because it essentially broadened the audience and gave it a reputation for fairness.  You'd get some big-name people who were judicial activists/Democrats to attend and speak, and they'd usually be very complimentary of how they were treated, etc..  That let you attract more people, and it snowballed.

Basically, the Federalist Society believes that it's ideas are the right ones, and will win in fair debate.  So, that's what it pushes.

Now, that's not to say there won't be some blunt disagreements with these guys.  There absolutely will be.  But they won't be silenced or given the boot just because they don't like Trump.  The Convention is going on right now -- I usually make about every third one or so -- and I'll be interested to hear the reports from some of my friends.  By the way, if you don't know muc about it or how it got started, here's a good article that shows how much of a seat of the pants thing it really was.  It was only started in 1982 -- I joined in 1989.

The Weekend at Yale That Changed American Politics

It’s not too extreme to say that one wonky student group founded in 1982 has reshaped the Supreme Court, and the nation. What actually happened at the birth of the Federalist Society?

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/08/27/federalist-society-yale-history-conservative-law-court-219608

So interesting, @Maj. Bill Martin   After I re-read the post, I realized that this group was not claiming to represent the Federalist Society but just claiming to be a group of members.  I still think they were trading on the name of a respected organization to get publicity for their cause, but I guess that's not against the law or the rules.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2018, 11:03:11 am »
@Emjay @truth_seeker @Maj. Bill Martin @aligncare @Frank Cannon

It is hard to believe that after 2 years of complaints, Cult45 still has no idea why actual conservatives find fault with reckless spending, moral failings, broken promises, and divisive politics.  The GOP deserves to lose power as long as they remain oblivious Trump fanboys.  Even an alcoholic knows the first step to recovery is recognizing the problem. 88finger point

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2018, 04:26:22 pm »

It is hard to believe that after 2 years of complaints, Cult45 still has no idea why actual conservatives find fault with reckless spending, moral failings, broken promises, and divisive politics.  The GOP deserves to lose power as long as they remain oblivious Trump fanboys.  Even an alcoholic knows the first step to recovery is recognizing the problem. 88finger point

I'm gonna go ahead and leave you to Frank Cannon.  He can probably say it best.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2018, 05:30:47 pm »

I HATE TRUMP! I HATE HIM I HATE HIM I HATE HIM! HE'S MEAN, HE'S LOUD, HE TALKS TOO MUCH, HE SMELLS, AND I HATE HIM!!!! He's a bad bad man daddy, you have to get rid of him! I don't want him there any more daddy, I command you to make him quit being President daddy. And I want a new pony daddy, you are going to get me a new pony.
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2018, 05:38:06 pm »

I HATE TRUMP! I HATE HIM I HATE HIM I HATE HIM! HE'S MEAN, HE'S LOUD, HE TALKS TOO MUCH, HE SMELLS, AND I HATE HIM!!!! He's a bad bad man daddy, you have to get rid of him! I don't want him there any more daddy, I command you to make him quit being President daddy. And I want a new pony daddy, you are going to get me a new pony.

It's gratifying to know I'm not the only person to think of her after reading that screed.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 05:39:55 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2018, 02:22:56 am »

@Free Vulcan

Looks like I should have pointed my finger at you too oblivious.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2018, 02:58:56 am »
@Free Vulcan

Looks like I should have pointed my finger at you too oblivious.

You can make a really stupid post but it kinda gets to you when someone points out your own problem.

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2018, 05:39:36 am »
You can make a really stupid post but it kinda gets to you when someone points out your own problem.
I accept your apology @Emjay and I'm amazed at your new found personal insight.