Author Topic: McConnell reelected as leader, Thune promoted to whip  (Read 375 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell reelected as leader, Thune promoted to whip
« on: November 14, 2018, 05:13:18 pm »
McConnell reelected as leader, Thune promoted to whip
By Alexander Bolton - 11/14/18 11:45 AM EST

Senate Republicans on Wednesday reelected Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) to another term as Senate Majority Leader and promoted Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) to serve as Senate Republican Whip.

GOP lawmakers promoted Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) to serve as Senate Republican Conference chairman and Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) to serve as Policy Committee chairman. Sen Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) was elected vice chairwoman of the GOP conference.

Thune, Barrasso and Blunt each moved a step up the leadership ladder as Senate Republicans held their leadership election Wednesday morning in the Old Senate Chamber. McConnell was re-elected by acclamation.

Sens. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) and Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) delivered speeches supporting McConnell’s reelection as Leader.

The results were expected as none of the top four Senate Republican leadership positions were contested.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/416616-mcconnell-re-elected-as-leader-thune-promoted-to-whip
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: McConnell reelected as leader, Thune promoted to whip
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 11:30:39 pm »
McConnell was re-elected by acclamation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acclamation#Voice_vote

The most frequent type of acclamation is a voice vote, in which the voting group is asked who favors and who opposes the proposed candidate. In the event of a lack of opposition, the candidate is considered elected. In parliamentary procedure, acclamation is a form of unanimous consent.

Nobody even tried to take down Cocaine Mitch. :cool:

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 12:02:24 am »
I wonder if McConnel will lead us well in 2020...
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 12:22:02 am »
They say senators don’t make the best presidents, but I am trying to look down the road at the bench. I used to think Thune would run, but I’m not sure, now. The one I’m keeping an eye on for the future is Cotton.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline berdie

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 12:44:12 am »
I'm keeping an open mind about Turtle. Since the Pubs aren't super glued together like the Dems...it's a struggle to get anything passed, imho. It's a job I wouldn't want.

OTOH...he says some really stupid stuff.