Author Topic: Lawyers for migrant caravan members give them stark advice: ‘It’s going to be difficult’  (Read 369 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Lawyers for migrant caravan members give them stark advice: ‘It’s going to be difficult’
Fox News, Nov 7, 2018, William La Jeunesse

MEXICO CITY – The park here hosting some 7,000 migrants looks like something out of a renaissance fair, with dozens of small tents giving away shoes or offering a host of services, like dental work, medical care, telephones, haircuts, food and, perhaps the most important product – legal advice.

A line began to form Tuesday outside the Institute for Women in Migration before a 10 a.m. seminar. A dozen men formed a circle around U.S. attorney Anna Joseph when she began to speak.

“We are telling them it’s going to be difficult,” she said. ”We’re telling them this administration is not amenable to asylum right now, so even though many have legitimate claims, they’re going to be up against a very tough system at the moment due to orders from above.”

[...]

“A lot depends on how the administration decides to address the situation and the role of the military,” she said. “We’re telling people there is already a wait of over 1,000 people in Tijuana.”

She said legal advisers are not trying to deter people, “but trying to give them options and information.”

After talking to Joseph, Honduran migrant Jovan Ochoa said he would stay in Mexico.  “If I get a work permit, I will stay in Mexico,” he said. “I didn’t pay attention to the asylum part. All I want is permit to work because I can’t lose time.”

Marco Flores had a different problem.  “I was deported twice for crossing illegally,” Flores said. “So I have to wait three years. I asked if I could ask for forgiveness to enter the United States.”

Forgiveness is not part of asylum law, which tends to be rigid and has become more so under Attorney General Jeff Sessions. Unlike the Obama administration, which tweaked the rules to allow for claims of domestic and gang violence, the Trump administration returned to the original statutory language, which only allows non-citizens to remain in the U.S. if they can establish a credible fear of persecution at home based on race, religion, political thought, nationality or social class.

[...]

In Mexico City, the caravan is roughly 600 miles from McAllen, Texas and more than twice that to Tijuana, their stated goal. Their day of departure from Mexico City remains unknown, and many factors will determine when the bulk of the caravan will arrive.

But many migrants say they will split off from the main group the closer they get the U.S. border.

More:  https://www.foxnews.com/world/lawyers-for-migrant-caravan-members-give-them-stark-assessment-its-going-to-be-difficult

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Who is paying them? Lawyers without borders? :pondering:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Night Hides Not

Marco Flores had a different problem.  “I was deported twice for crossing illegally,” Flores said. “So I have to wait three years. I asked if I could ask for forgiveness to enter the United States.”

Come back in three years, Marco...then again, make it six or seven. You can ask for forgiveness after Trump leaves office.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:32:52 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.