Author Topic: House GOP fight begins: Jordan challenges McCarthy  (Read 1046 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House GOP fight begins: Jordan challenges McCarthy
« on: November 07, 2018, 02:49:21 pm »
11/7/2018

Conservative Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) announced his bid for House minority leader on Wednesday, challenging Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) hours after Democrats regained control of the lower chamber.

"I plan to run for minority leader," Jordan told Hill.TV's Buck Sexton on "Rising."

"In 2016, the American people elected Republicans to come here and change this town. I think the president is doing just that, but I don't think they see the same intensity from folks in Congress, folks in the House of Representatives," he continued.

"Have we replaced ObamaCare yet? Have we secured the border yet? Have we reformed welfare yet? No," he said.

Jordan went on to slam current GOP leadership in the House, saying they were not willing to engage in debate with Democrats.

more
https://thehill.com/hilltv/election-2018/415464-house-gop-fight-begins-jordan-challenges-mccarthy
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: House GOP fight begins: Jordan challenges McCarthy
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 02:52:46 pm »
McCarthy is a loser. He has been groomed to be another Ryan.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 03:10:09 pm »
"Have we replaced ObamaCare yet? Have we secured the border yet? Have we reformed welfare yet? No," he said.

Jordan went on to slam current GOP leadership in the House, saying they were not willing to engage in debate with Democrats.

So, the GOP is back to where they’re most comfortable:  Being in the minority, where they can hem and haw, without the responsibility.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 03:12:30 pm »

So, the GOP is back to where they’re most comfortable:  Being in the minority, where they can hem and haw, without the responsibility.

You seem to be comfortable with that.
The Republic is lost.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 03:19:16 pm »

Look for and endless procession of flag burning, anti abortion and school prayer bills coming from the minority party.

Offline edpc

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 03:19:52 pm »

No, it’s an observation from times the majority was held and not much of consequence was accomplished.  Case in point - an ACA repeal was sent to Obama, because they knew it would be vetoed.  When they had the chance to advance the same bill under a new admin, you saw they really didn’t mean it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 03:20:45 pm by edpc »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 03:26:35 pm »

No, it’s an observation from times the majority was held and not much of consequence was accomplished.  Case in point - an ACA repeal was sent to Obama, because they knew it would be vetoed.  When they had the chance to advance the same bill under a new admin, you saw they really didn’t mean it.

And last night they paid the price for it.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 05:36:33 pm »

Yep.  I've noticed some barely suppressed glee among our NTers which is really, really strange.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 05:58:44 pm »
McCarthy is a loser. He has been groomed to be another Ryan.

100% about the grooming.  I've been rooting for Jordan for some time, since back when he was lobbying for Speaker.  Now that the GOP is in the minority, we need Jordan now more than ever.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 06:01:14 pm »

I agree with your opinion about minority parties being more willing to vote for things that will never pass.  Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it will be interesting to see what the Dem house passes.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 06:03:45 pm »
Yep.  I've noticed some barely suppressed glee among our NTers which is really, really strange.

The President got what he wanted last night in the Senate.  Ryan's house didn't give him anything before, so a loss of the House is no big deal.  As for what the House will do now, he's at his best when fighting somebody and Pelosi is a perfect foil.
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 06:04:01 pm »
I agree with your opinion about minority parties being more willing to vote for things that will never pass.  Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it will be interesting to see what the Dem house passes.

They're in kind of the same position where they can pass something unacceptable, have it either die in the Senate or get vetoed, then whine to their constituents.  It's the same game that's been played for decades and why the term Uniparty exists.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 06:07:51 pm »

They're in kind of the same position where they can pass something unacceptable, have it either die in the Senate or get vetoed, then whine to their constituents.  It's the same game that's been played for decades and why the term Uniparty exists.

The analogy I always use...now that the dog chasing a car has caught it, what does he intend to do with it?  Let's see if the rats live up to their hype.  They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.  Their turn in the leadership barrel.
I will NOT comply.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 06:10:06 pm »
The analogy I always use...now that the dog chasing a car has caught it, what does he intend to do with it?  Let's see if the rats live up to their hype.  They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.  Their turn in the leadership barrel.

Yep, Trump has just set the trap for them.  We are much better off now for 2020, and that's the big prize.

Offline edpc

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 07:04:17 pm »

I have no question their proposed legislation will be abysmal and their committee inquiries will be lame.  However, I wasn't exactly buoyed by the potential compromises discussed on immigration, prescription drugs, and environmental legislation during the Trump press conference today.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 07:23:51 pm »

I have no question their proposed legislation will be abysmal and their committee inquiries will be lame.  However, I wasn't exactly buoyed by the potential compromises discussed on immigration, prescription drugs, and environmental legislation during the Trump press conference today.

Me neither, I'm hoping the Senate stops some of that so he doesn't think he has to sign.  I did like some of the slapping down CNN got, even though I know that's just my craving for red meat talking. :tongue2:
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 07:30:54 pm »
Me neither, I'm hoping the Senate stops some of that so he doesn't think he has to sign.  I did like some of the slapping down CNN got, even though I know that's just my craving for red meat talking. :tongue2:

We've heard Trump do this before - compromise talk sends up media hopes & conservative pucker strings tightening, but there's never any follow through - he's stuck to his guns. I'm hoping he playing the same game here.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 07:41:01 pm »
Yep, Trump has just set the trap for them.  We are much better off now for 2020, and that's the big prize.
Beware the counter-trap though: if the economy crashes, they will blame Trump just like they still blame Bush (even as it was policy set by the Dems in Congress) in hopes of getting their guy in 2020 and setting up the "white knight" scenario: "Trump ruined the economy, and we saved it!"

Just. Like. Obama.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 07:48:26 pm »
The old school House of Representatives GOP can either sit in the well of the House and mope or get behind Jim Jordan and raise hell with Nancy Pantsy.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 07:55:29 pm »
Beware the counter-trap though: if the economy crashes, they will blame Trump just like they still blame Bush (even as it was policy set by the Dems in Congress) in hopes of getting their guy in 2020 and setting up the "white knight" scenario: "Trump ruined the economy, and we saved it!"

Just. Like. Obama.

They'll do that anyway, even if they have to lie about the news.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 08:00:37 pm »
The "fight" doesn't begin ... it continues.

Go, Jordan!!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 09:42:23 pm »
The President got what he wanted last night in the Senate.  Ryan's house didn't give him anything before, so a loss of the House is no big deal.  As for what the House will do now, he's at his best when fighting somebody and Pelosi is a perfect foil.

Yeah, Pelosi would be fun but she won't get it.  Even democrats are not that stupid.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 09:47:30 pm »
Yeah, Pelosi would be fun but she won't get it.  Even democrats are not that stupid.

@Emjay

A lot of the freshmen Congresscritters ran on the promise they would not support Pelosi, so it will be fun if the first vote they make is to break that promise.
I will NOT comply.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 09:51:19 pm »
100% about the grooming.  I've been rooting for Jordan for some time, since back when he was lobbying for Speaker.  Now that the GOP is in the minority, we need Jordan now more than ever.

Yep.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 09:55:15 pm »
Rooting for Jim Jordan.
Principles matter. Words matter.