Author Topic: 3 Republicans who conservatives should hope lose their elections  (Read 750 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
3 Republicans who conservatives should hope lose their elections
« on: November 06, 2018, 07:12:48 pm »
By Philip Wegmann
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/3-republicans-who-conservatives-should-hope-lose-their-elections?utm_campaign=wex_widget&utm_source=weeklystandard.com&utm_medium=wex_widget

The last two years of the Trump presidency have brought endless charges of racism and bigotry against the Republican Party. Most of the attacks are overly broad and unfair. A few are more than merited.

Here are three deplorable congressional candidates who actually fill the profile of a bigot.

Corey Stewart, R-Va.
. . . To the shame of the Republican party, he is the racist clown running against Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va.

A political caricature come to life, Stewart leans into the trope of the racist Southern politician, mixing in alt-right influence to add a modern flavor . . . Fun fact, though: Stewart grew up a Northerner in Duluth, Minn . . .

Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa
. . . (P)erhaps King can best be understood by the company he keeps and the candidates he supports.

He has endorsed Faith Goldy for mayor of Toronto, the same Goldy who authored a book calling for an end to “the Jewish menace.” He has tweeted support for Mark Collet, a British white nationalist, as well as Geert Wilders, a far-right Dutch politician. He has addressed Austria’s Freedom Party, an organization with historical ties to the Nazi Party (this after a week-long trip funded by a Holocaust memorial group) . . .

Arthur Jones, R-Ill.
If Arthur Jones wasn’t actually racist, he would have to work overtime just to meet the low expectations of the Left. By all accounts though, the fedora-wearing, hate-spewing Illinois politician is a Nazi. Somehow he is also the Republican candidate challenging incumbent Rep. Dan Lipinski, D-Ill.

The Jones campaign website is like something belched out of the dark web. It includes posts about “the Holocaust racket,” warnings about “the Ko$her Food Scam,” and little cartoon elephants sporting Confederate flags. It is exactly the sort of web design one can come to expect from a proud American Nazi populist . . . Even Republican members of the Illinois congressional delegation are rooting for the Democrat.

. . .
These are the actually deplorable. They are the fringe, and they should be shamed as they march out of the public square. At the same time, the Left ought to take notice because crying wolf only gives cover to King and company. After attacking every Republican as racist, the charges become blunted and actual bigots are able to dismiss real charges of racial animus as ginned-up hysteria . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: 3 Republicans who conservatives should hope lose their elections
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 07:24:06 pm »
That's garbage about Stewart. He was involved with preserving the Confederate memorials. That's how he got mixed up with the White Nationalists.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 07:39:43 pm »
I don't know the rules, but I still can't understand why the people who run the state Republican parties can't reject candidates if they deem them unfit.
There's no way David Duke should have been allowed to run on the Republican platform for gov. of Lousiana some years ago.
Any Republican pol smearing any group/ethnicity should be banned from being a member.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 07:44:45 pm »
I have heard it repeatedly stated, even today that if we do not vote for the Republican - no matter how vile they are, we are Marxists and enemies of the people.

Conservatism doesn't matter anymore.

Only factional politics and Trump matter.

The rest are just 'losers'.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 07:52:59 pm »
I don't know the rules, but I still can't understand why the people who run the state Republican parties can't reject candidates if they deem them unfit.
That might be more than a little tough when you have primaries in the states. For whatever perverse reasons, voters have been known to go to the primary polls and put the least savoury candidates onto the general election ballot, and that's a syndrome remarkably not limited to one or another party, unfortunately. David Duke is only one example among Republicans; Bob Menendez is only one example among Democrats. You probably could fill a Congressional chamber with all such candidates chosen by both major parties past and present, and we won't even begin to ponder the truly fringe parties . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 07:56:02 pm »
@goatprairie

It is difficult for a man who has enjoyed the taste of our beer and the flavour of our politics to decide which has gone more sour in his lifetime.

That was Murray Kempton writing in 1962. He didn't live long enough to see the last few campaigns, but I shudder to think of what he and his friend William F. Buckley, Jr. would have have written about them.

(Codicil: I haven't enjoyed the taste of any beer other than St. Pauli Girl for a long enough time. And the flavour of our politics went sour for me just about as long ago.)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 07:57:00 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 08:21:16 pm »
I have heard it repeatedly stated, even today that if we do not vote for the Republican - no matter how vile they are, we are Marxists and enemies of the people.

Conservatism doesn't matter anymore.

Only factional politics and Trump matter.

The rest are just 'losers'.

Oh give it up.   Everything's about you and your fragile ego.    To the extent that you functionally support the Dems,  just to be a bitch.   *****rollingeyes*****
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 08:27:27 pm »
@EasyAce

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,338613.0.html

Check this thread out especially the last post or two, King's opponent in Iowa, played some pro-minor-league ball,  relief pitucher.  Scholten. A democrat is a democrat to me. I'm not sure how bad King's statements were. I think I'd still vote for King. Scholten would probably be a good guy if one met him, he should be a Republican.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=scholt001j--

I admire  Scholten for trying to make the big leagues, from the Field of Dreams state of Iowa. Pictures abound on the web of him pitching, not many but a few. 

Louis Gohmert also, has stood with Steve King. Anyway, though, King may have made some outrageous statements, I don't know there extent, he needs to be much more careful in how he says things.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:29:30 pm by TomSea »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 08:31:51 pm »
I admire  Scholten for trying to make the big leagues, from the Field of Dreams state of Iowa. Pictures abound on the web of him pitching, not many but a few.
@TomSea
If I lived in Iowa I'd rather have a minor league pitcher representing me than a bigot who thinks the like of Faith Goldy should be Toronto's mayor.

One of the few photos I could find of J.D. Scholten . . .

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 08:35:01 pm »
Oh give it up.   Everything's about you and your fragile ego.    To the extent that you functionally support the Dems,  just to be a bitch.   *****rollingeyes*****

That's funny as hell coming from an asshat who advocates, argues for and supports everything the radical Left does when it comes to actual agenda items.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 08:50:13 pm »
That's funny as hell coming from an asshat who advocates, argues for and supports everything the radical Left does when it comes to actual agenda items.

And who votes Republican, thereby providing tangible support to conservatism that you only whistle through your shorts about.     

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 08:55:37 pm »
I would nonetheless, vote for King, his bigotry is nothing that is proven to me.

The Democratic platform on which most of these people run is unacceptable to me.

Somewhere, there might be some Democrats and this is on the state level in say, it has happened in Louisiana who totally repudiate the national platform. One of those might be acceptable but I'm just say 'fer instance" here.

Addendum: Geert Wilders, mentioned in the article is a good guy and I'd think, 95% or more in this forum would think that.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:07:10 pm by TomSea »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 09:02:53 pm »
And who votes Republican, thereby providing tangible support to conservatism that you only whistle through your shorts about.   

Makes sense that you do since Republicans today are the Democrat party of the 90s - and the party of Trumpcare, open borders to a welfare state, "reasonable"gun restrictions, deficit spending in the multiple trillions and abortion on demand at taxpayer expense.

So no, as an actual conservative, I do not lend tangible support for those things with my vote.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 09:44:01 pm »
Makes sense that you do since Republicans today are the Democrat party of the 90s - and the party of Trumpcare, open borders to a welfare state, "reasonable"gun restrictions, deficit spending in the multiple trillions and abortion on demand at taxpayer expense.

So no, as an actual conservative, I do not lend tangible support for those things with my vote.

Who cares what you think?   You fail to exercise your vote in a way that benefits conservatives or conservatism,  and your statements on the internet only serve to further the cause of the Democrats.   You claim to be conservative, but in reality you are a worthless crank or worse.   

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 09:51:15 pm »
Who cares what you think?

Likewise. 

You fail to exercise your vote in a way that benefits conservatives or conservatism

Right, because voting for ACTUAL bona-fide Conservatives who are not window dressing in the do-nothing Liberal R or Leftist D Party isn't "benefitting Conservatism".

your statements on the internet only serve to further the cause of the Democrats.   You claim to be conservative, but in reality you are a worthless crank or worse.   

Let's go with worse for the sake of argument and understand the hard reality that there isn't SHIT you can do about it except continue to lecture everyone on the board about how  "Conservative" open borders, homosexual marriage, abortion, taxation and all the other Democrat-Left platform agenda items are to adopt as causes to advocate.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 12:23:45 am »
That might be more than a little tough when you have primaries in the states. For whatever perverse reasons, voters have been known to go to the primary polls and put the least savoury candidates onto the general election ballot, and that's a syndrome remarkably not limited to one or another party, unfortunately. David Duke is only one example among Republicans; Bob Menendez is only one example among Democrats. You probably could fill a Congressional chamber with all such candidates chosen by both major parties past and present, and we won't even begin to ponder the truly fringe parties . . .
One  skunk like Duke puts on stain on the whole party. If I had the power at the national level, I'd try to fix that. I would have fired every Republican in Louisiana who allowed Duke to run on the Republican ticket.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 12:49:29 am »
One  skunk like Duke puts on stain on the whole party. If I had the power at the national level, I'd try to fix that. I would have fired every Republican in Louisiana who allowed Duke to run on the Republican ticket.
I'm trying to remember if the Louisiana Republicans did indeed shake up the party leadership after that.