Author Topic: 2018 General Election Live Thread  (Read 31252 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: 2018 General Election Live Thread
« Reply #750 on: November 07, 2018, 02:30:06 pm »
When you look at the places the POTUS visited/rallied?

Claire McCaskill "...missed it by this much".  The rally where Rush Limbaugh introduced him just the day before?

I don't believe Ted Cruz would have automatically won without the President help.   It's no slam on Ted.

O'Rourke had about as much an advantage over an incumbent as is possible to have. Nearly twice the war chest, nonstop worshipful coverage in the media and Jim Carrey.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:31:24 pm by skeeter »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #751 on: November 07, 2018, 02:33:50 pm »
Nelson looks more like he belongs in a Ripley's Wax Museum.

If Tales From The Crypt does a reboot, I'm plugging for Nelson.
The Republic is lost.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #752 on: November 07, 2018, 02:35:11 pm »
In theory maybe, but first they have to "pick off" the leadership to get anything to a vote. Although if you think about it, it might be a good move to hand Trump a few wacko bills to gleefully veto...

Well we already know from experience that McConnell and Cornyn are willing to work behind the scenes and behind our collective backs to help the Dems...
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #753 on: November 07, 2018, 02:35:19 pm »
O'Rourke had about as much an advantage over an incumbent as is possible to have. Nearly twice the war chest, nonstop worshipful coverage in the media and Jim Carrey.

The Carrey effect was good for 10 or 12 sales of VHS copies of Ace Ventura this election. That's something.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #754 on: November 07, 2018, 02:37:16 pm »
In theory maybe, but first they have to "pick off" the leadership to get anything to a vote. Although if you think about it, it might be a good move to hand Trump a few wacko bills to gleefully veto...

"Leadership" in the house will be interesting to watch, since they have such a slender lead.  A lot of Rat House candidates promised to not support Pelosi for Speaker.  She is sure to twist arms to get Speaker, so how many of the freshman Rats will start their House careers by breaking that promise on their very first vote?

My feeble prediction:  She'll twist enough arms and get Speaker, and then she'll overplay her hand as we've never seen before.  Trump wins in 2020, bringing a House majority back.  Meanwhile, gridlock will wet in in the House, and the Senate will pick up the pace on confirmations, including a new AG.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #755 on: November 07, 2018, 02:38:01 pm »
Last nights results show conservatism/Republicans is on the death bed. The death rattle will be next.

Beto and Cruz was basically a 50 50 split in Texas of all places. Should have been 80/20 favoring Cruz. Stacy Abrams who is basically a communist was not that far behind Kemp in conservative Georgia. Conservative/Republican Florida basically a 50 50 split with Nelson and Gillum.

Once the white WWII generation is gone we are gone. What happened to the 40% of blacks supposedly voting for Republicans?. Never happened. Tribalism wins out.

Liberal white guilt millenials indoctrinated by gov't schools, college educated suburban women voters, hispanics and blacks will control the future votes because they have the numbers

Not enough rural conservative voters to make a difference once the gray hairs are gone.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:44:01 pm by mirraflake »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #756 on: November 07, 2018, 02:38:43 pm »
I'm  a little more optimistic.  McCain is dead, Corker and Flake are gone,  and the overall GOP side of the senate is more conservative.

Don’t be so sure about that. Romney is a known quantity.  McSally has a troubling record in the House, when it comes to votes on immigration.  Given the margin, I wouldn’t expect her to move too far right.  She may be a McCain reincarnation - solid on defense, concerning on everything else.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #757 on: November 07, 2018, 02:39:12 pm »
My county of Fort Bend, in Texas has been solidly red for years.
In 2016, Hillary took the county, but everything else stayed red, pretty much.
Last night, the only republican to win the county was Congressman Pete Olson.
My daughter-in-law works for a long-standing republican County commissioner, James Patterson.
At least she did until last night.

Looks like if I want to stay in the area, I ought to move to Wharton, Colorado, or Austin counties. All of them went 70% or better Republican.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #758 on: November 07, 2018, 02:41:09 pm »
"Leadership" in the house will be interesting to watch, since they have such a slender lead.  A lot of Rat House candidates promised to not support Pelosi for Speaker.  She is sure to twist arms to get Speaker, so how many of the freshman Rats will start their House careers by breaking that promise on their very first vote?

My feeble prediction:  She'll twist enough arms and get Speaker, and then she'll overplay her hand as we've never seen before.  Trump wins in 2020, bringing a House majority back.  Meanwhile, gridlock will wet in in the House, and the Senate will pick up the pace on confirmations, including a new AG.

The House is gonna be a clown show, for sure. Rat control will probably be a blessing in disguise.

Offline endicom

« Reply #759 on: November 07, 2018, 02:42:37 pm »

Stock markets opened on a high note.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #760 on: November 07, 2018, 02:48:36 pm »
How quickly people forget:  Obama lost 63 seats in the house in 2010 and 6 senate seats; Clinton lost 54 house seats in 1994 and 9 senate seats.

Thanks for steadying our flock of Chicken Littles.

You’re right, the glass is half full. Historically, Trump has been very good in negotiations with overconfident opponents. If it’s Pelosi, then all the better. Watching this unfold should be a hoot.

Offline edpc

« Reply #761 on: November 07, 2018, 02:48:46 pm »
Stock markets opened on a high note.

Not unusual.  A split Congress and gridlock means no surprises.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #762 on: November 07, 2018, 02:50:51 pm »

Liberal white guilt millenials indoctrinated by gov't schools, college educated suburban women voters, hispanics and blacks will control the future votes because they have the numbers

What do you suggest we do about that? Kill them? It is what it is.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #763 on: November 07, 2018, 02:51:42 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline edpc

« Reply #764 on: November 07, 2018, 02:54:03 pm »
How quickly people forget:  Obama lost 63 seats in the house in 2010 and 6 senate seats; Clinton lost 54 house seats in 1994 and 9 senate seats.

Yeah and the Dems still held the majority in the Senate, despite losing the House majority.  Were you saying that was a victory for Obama?  Somehow, I doubt it.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #765 on: November 07, 2018, 02:55:36 pm »
Looks like Jim Jordan may run for Minority Leader.
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #766 on: November 07, 2018, 03:02:31 pm »
Looks like Jim Jordan may run for Minority Leader.

Good.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #767 on: November 07, 2018, 03:06:35 pm »
Last nights results show conservatism/Republicans is on the death bed. The death rattle will be next.

Beto and Cruz was basically a 50 50 split in Texas of all places. Should have been 80/20 favoring Cruz. Stacy Abrams who is basically a communist was not that far behind Kemp in conservative Georgia. Conservative/Republican Florida basically a 50 50 split with Nelson and Gillum.

Once the white WWII generation is gone we are gone. What happened to the 40% of blacks supposedly voting for Republicans?. Never happened. Tribalism wins out.

Not enough rural conservative voters to make a difference once the gray hairs are gone.

@mirraflake

Sad,but true. Every word of it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #768 on: November 07, 2018, 03:10:07 pm »

goopo
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #769 on: November 07, 2018, 03:14:32 pm »

Look at the vote map. It is 90% red, and yet somehow we still lose. There is something not right about that.

As far as what the future holds, that is not for me. I won't be around for it. I am blessed to have lived in my time, before all this weirdness happened. When I was young, I could never understand how old people were at ease with dying. The older I get, the more I understand it.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fullpage/midterm-election-map-2018-live-results-58723598
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #770 on: November 07, 2018, 03:18:14 pm »

Well, we did really well in the Senate. We lost the fewest House seats since Reagan. We took some lumps in the state legislatures, but mostly in traditionally liberal states.

Keep in mind all that while the GOP was outspent by 5:1 in some races, and alot of the Dem House victories were sub-5%.

I'm not happy, but not crushed either.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #771 on: November 07, 2018, 03:18:39 pm »
Yeah, the rats have policy carte blanc thanks to their cozy relationship with the media. They just plow straight ahead with their dangerous agenda while even the most mildly conservative proposal provokes howls from the newsreaders.

We have a very different Senate come 2019.  The Flakes are gone, replaced by supporters of the President and his agenda.  Plus we have better numbers.

I don't think the Democrats recognize the strength of the red wall awaiting them ... and of course, they will continue to underestimate the President.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #772 on: November 07, 2018, 03:24:39 pm »

I think this is a bit premature.  We turned a blue wave into a trickle.  THIS is truly historic. 

In Texas, Cruz is an anomaly.  Abbott won reelection by 13 points.  Cruz's campaign was in trouble for months.  It may, in hindsight, come down to the candidate.

Abrams was swept up in a late media/celebrity/race card frenzy.  And she still lost.

Florida has always been a bit politically psychotic.  Remember 18 years ago at this time?

We're doing very well ... and will do even better in 2020.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #773 on: November 07, 2018, 03:26:23 pm »
We have a very different Senate come 2019.  The Flakes are gone, replaced by supporters of the President and his agenda.  Plus we have better numbers.

I don't think the Democrats recognize the strength of the red wall awaiting them ... and of course, they will continue to underestimate the President.

Hope so. I've been waiting a lifetime for a political party willing to fight for something.

Offline edpc

« Reply #774 on: November 07, 2018, 03:29:23 pm »
Look at the vote map. It is 90% red, and yet somehow we still lose. There is something not right about that.

That vast swath you see from OK to ND is geographically large, but demographically small.