Author Topic: Republicans fear they've blown economic message that could have secured victory  (Read 1996 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republicans fear they've blown economic message that could have secured victory
by Steven Nelson
 | November 04, 2018 12:00 AM

For all the media fixation on the "lies" President Trump tells, sometimes he has an uncanny knack of telling the unvarnished truth.

So it was on Friday night when Trump told those gathered at a West Virginia rally: "Sometimes it’s not as exciting to talk about the economy because we have a lot of other things to talk about."

That unscripted line left some Republican strategists nodding in agreement and wondering about what might have been. Republicans are bracing for the loss of the House of Representatives with operatives citing the lack of a coherent economic message and unnecessary distractions as decisive factors.

Trump routinely touts low unemployment and booming businesses during rambling speeches or rallies for midterm election candidates. But Republican campaign staff members argue that the message did not receive enough prominence due to strategic missteps.

"Elections are most often driven by personal economic impact: Am I better off today than I was the last time I voted?" said Republican strategist and pollster Frank Luntz. "For a clear majority of Americans, the answer is yes. But the GOP isn't getting credit for it because it didn't talk about it enough."

Luntz blames "freelancing" lawmakers who, among other things, have sought to impeach Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who oversees special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/republicans-fear-theyve-blown-economic-message-that-could-have-secured-victory
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

'Cause people are too stupid to discern the improved economy unless they're told. /s

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It hasn't helped that the Rats have some reliable friends in the Congressional and Senatorial Republican Caucus.  People like Flake, McCain, McConnell, Murkowski, along with Ryan and his gaggle in the House. have kept the economy from being the big issue it could have been had they not blocked reforms.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

It hasn't helped that the Rats have some reliable friends in the Congressional and Senatorial Republican Caucus.  People like Flake, McCain, McConnell, Murkowski, along with Ryan and his gaggle in the House. have kept the economy from being the big issue it could have been had they not blocked reforms.

I tend to be suspicious of articles fixing blame for blown opportunities two days before anyone knows whether recriminations are due.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I tend to be suspicious of articles fixing blame for blown opportunities two days before anyone knows whether recriminations are due.

Ever heard that "journalists" are like a flock of birds on a wire?  They all take off together when one takes off.  Everybody wants to be seen as that first bird.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Absalom

Other than being another DC flunky and incessant
Fox windbag; who the hell is Frankie Luntz???

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Other than being another DC flunky and incessant
Fox windbag; who the hell is Frankie Luntz???

To ask the question is to answer it.  I can't stand that little fat face either.
I will NOT comply.

Offline libertybele

The message(s) that could have secured victory are; the wall is finally built built and Bammycare is completely repealed.  Anyone that doesn't recognize the improvement in the economy is either blind or stupid, or both.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

It's about illegal immigration and the wall, stupid. The very issue that won Trump the election!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline aligncare

I’m sensing a theme two days leading up to the election: Trump doesn’t know what he’s doing.

True to form, they’re recycling old charges.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Republicans fear they've blown economic message that could have secured victory

And add the fact they didn't fully capitalize on the Kavanaugh backlash.  Add some other strategic blunders that mimic going into "prevent defense mode" with 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline verga

The message(s) that could have secured victory are; the wall is finally built built and Bammycare is completely repealed.  Anyone that doesn't recognize the improvement in the economy is either blind or stupid, or both.
QFT. they had a chance to do these and they blew it. Any lose is strictly on them. Trump has been workinghis @$$ off with the economy and trade and Congress blew their chances. They have no one to blame but themselves.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
It's about illegal immigration and the wall, stupid. The very issue that won Trump the election!

Not for most of us.   The nativists and immigrant-bashers may be part of Trump's base, but they will not be key to deciding tomorrow's elections.   What will be key are sufficient numbers of independents and traditional Republicans recognizing that GOP policies have brought us prosperity, wage growth and record low unemployment, and that all this good news is at risk if the Dems regain control in the House.   

This SHOULD be about the economy, stupid.   That instead it will be a referendum on the Trump sideshow is, I fear,  the reason that our prosperity may soon be gone with the wind. 

Trump has spent far too much time on motivating his base by appeals to fear,  and not enough on the rest of us who respond to the very real optimism that is out there.   Obscuring the message of our booming economy is a mistake;  I hope it doesn't lead to electoral disaster tomorrow.       
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online DB

'Cause people are too stupid to discern the improved economy unless they're told. /s

That "improved economy" came at a cost of over a trillion dollars that someone else is supposed to pay another day.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
That "improved economy" came at a cost of over a trillion dollars that someone else is supposed to pay another day.

Exactly.

The GOP and Trump have outspent the Democrats and funded their entire agenda on our dime to the tune of 4 Trillion or so this year alone.

THAT is the economic reality.

The rest is gilded bullshit.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Not for most of us.   The nativists and immigrant-bashers may be part of Trump's base, but they will not be key to deciding tomorrow's elections.   What will be key are sufficient numbers of independents and traditional Republicans recognizing that GOP policies have brought us prosperity, wage growth and record low unemployment, and that all this good news is at risk if the Dems regain control in the House.   

This SHOULD be about the economy, stupid.   That instead it will be a referendum on the Trump sideshow is, I fear,  the reason that our prosperity may soon be gone with the wind. 

Trump has spent far too much time on motivating his base by appeals to fear,  and not enough on the rest of us who respond to the very real optimism that is out there.   Obscuring the message of our booming economy is a mistake;  I hope it doesn't lead to electoral disaster tomorrow.     

Oh for crap sake @Jazzhead  -- pontificating, moralizing AND making up shit all in one post.  Congrats!  This is a first for you.

You obviously are not aware of what the President has been DIRECTLY saying to tens of thousands of Americans night and day across this nation--and tens of thousands more thanks to Al Gore's magnificent Internet. 

The President has been EXTREMELY clear -- not in political speak, but in real speak, what's at risk if the democrats gain control....and that risk begins and ends with the economy.  The people "get" it which is why their applause for the President would blow your socks off.

So, smooth talker, you're assessments and judgments are wrong;  just plain sh*t a$$ wrong.  And I pray folks just ignore you today. 

Save your meaningless pontificating for Wednesday, Jazzy.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:01:04 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline bilo

I think it's the fake news that hasn't reported what Trump and other Pubs have said about the economy.

Anyway, I trust Trump's instincts. He has a rare gift for finding a key issue that most Americans are concerned about even though the elites and their servants in the media say it's not a big issue.

We will know where we stand after tomorrow. I think it's going to be a great day for the Pubs. We not only gain in the Senate, we hold the House and it is more conservative!
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

Oh for crap sake @Jazzhead  -- pontificating, moralizing AND making up shit all in one post.  Congrats!  This is a first for you.

You obviously are not aware of what the President has been DIRECTLY saying to tens of thousands of Americans night and day across this nation--and tens of thousands more thanks to Al Gore's magnificent Internet. 

The President has been EXTREMELY clear -- not in political speak, but in real speak, what's at risk if the democrats gain control....and that risk begins and ends with the economy.  The people "get" it which is why their applause for the President would blow your socks off.

So, smooth talker, you're assessments and judgments are wrong;  just plain sh*t a$$ wrong.  And I pray folks just ignore you today. 

Save your meaningless pontificating for Wednesday, Jazzy.

The 'ignore feature' has worked very well.  Just sayin' .  It beats the frustration.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The 'ignore feature' has worked very well.  Just sayin' .  It beats the frustration.

That's true @libertybele   But I didn't post frustration, I posted anger that lies are spread without batting an eyelash or listening to the President.

Okay, there's a little frustration in there, too.   :laugh:

Offline skeeter

You must subscribe to the JohnMaynard Keynes school of economics.

Government spending is a drag on the economy and is a separate issue. This boom is due to the perception, with good reason, that there finally is a business friendly executive in the WH.

Online DB

You must subscribe to the JohnMaynard Keynes school of economics.

Government spending is a drag on the economy and is a separate issue. This boom is due to the perception, with good reason, that there finally is a business friendly executive in the WH.

That is an ignorant statement. The Austrian model is more in my line of thinking.

There's a boom for multiple reasons but it can't be sustained. The primarily drive is lower taxes for many and huge government spending pouring money into the economy. Money that is borrowed/printed out of thin air. There was a massive real estate bubble when money poured into it via government intervention. This is just take II of that.

It is Keynes that advocated using "government" money to pump the economy. Exactly what Trump is doing and you foolishly accuse me of that economic reasoning... There is no government money. It is our money one way or the other that gets debased and/or consumed.

Current government spending isn't a direct drag on the economy short term because the spending isn't coming out of the economy via taxation at the same time. The bill will come due. 15 years ago our national debt verses GDP was in pretty good shape giving us lots of economic flexibility.

Now we're Greece and digging deeper.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 12:43:20 am by DB »

Offline LMAO

That is an ingnorant statement. The Austrian model is more in my line of thinking.

There's a boom for multiple reasons but it can't be sustained. The primarily drive is lower taxes for many and huge government spending pouring money into the economy. Money that is borrowed/printed out of thin air. There was a massive real estate bubble when money poured into it via government intervention. This is just take II of that.

It is Keynes that advocated using "government" money to pump the economy. Exactly what Trump is doing and you foolishly accuse me of that economic reasoning... There is no government money. It is our money one way or the other that gets debased and/or consumed.

Current government spending isn't a direct drag on the economy short term because the spending isn't coming out of the economy via taxation at the same time. The bill will come due. 15 years ago our national debt verses GDP was in pretty good shape giving us lots of economic flexibility.

The housing bubble worked great until reality and economics took over
The states to watch in the next several years are Illinois, California, and New York. They will be the first to feel the effects of the brewing public employee pension crisis
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LegalAmerican

I’m sensing a theme two days leading up to the election: Trump doesn’t know what he’s doing.

True to form, they’re recycling old charges.

Everything media says is a crock!  Everything,  President TRUMP talks about economy EVERY RALLY!  That was one line,  BEFORE, he went into talking about the ECONOMY.  Frank Lutz, is paid by DEEP STATE. SOROS/OBANA/CLINTONS

The only thing that matters are president TRUMPS ACCOMPLISHMENTS!  WWW.MAGAPILL.COM

Offline LegalAmerican

I think it's the fake news that hasn't reported what Trump and other Pubs have said about the economy.

Anyway, I trust Trump's instincts. He has a rare gift for finding a key issue that most Americans are concerned about even though the elites and their servants in the media say it's not a big issue.

We will know where we stand after tomorrow. I think it's going to be a great day for the Pubs. We not only gain in the Senate, we hold the House and it is more conservative!

Are president TRUMPS rally's not allowed on here?  GET the words direct from his lips?   Solves it all. 

Offline skeeter

That is an ingnorant statement. The Austrian model is more in my line of thinking.

I must be ingnorant because I cannot make heads or tails of this post.

All I can say is if printing money led to economic booms then Obama would've outperformed Reagan.