Author Topic: Baltimore: "It sounded like bombs": Amazon warehouse collapse leaves 2 dead  (Read 1221 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
"It sounded like bombs": Amazon warehouse collapse leaves 2 dead
Last Updated Nov 3, 2018 5:51 PM EDT

Two people are dead after a partial building collapse late Friday at an Amazon warehouse near Baltimore, the city's fire chief said. In a statement, Amazon said "severe weather" caused a wall to collapse at the facility in Dundalk.

Amazon said the victims were not employees but contracters. Their names have not been released.

The National Weather Service will have to determine if weather was ultimately a cause in the collapse, CBS Baltimore reports.

Read more at: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/baltimore-amazon-collapse-dundalk-two-dead-updates-today-2018-11-3/

Offline Applewood

Someone at CBS News can't spell.  The word is CONTRACTORS."

Still -- a terrible tragedy. 

Offline Suppressed

Holabird Avenue and Broening Highway is right down the road from Jimmy's Famous Seafood, a place my old boss used to like to go.  There are lots of warehouses there.

Dundalk is an old, depressed, blue-collar neighborhood, and I'm sure the Amazon warehouse was welcomed.  What a sad event.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Someone at CBS News can't spell.  The word is CONTRACTORS."

Still -- a terrible tragedy.

Contractors?   I always thought the warehouse workers were employees...the AMZL drivers are contractors I'm sure.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online DB

Contractors?   I always thought the warehouse workers were employees...the AMZL drivers are contractors I'm sure.

"Contractors" is for tax purposes...

Dang, I mangled that...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 04:37:54 am by DB »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
"Constracors" is for tax purposes...

I get that part, but I'd be surprised if MD allows that exemption for permanent workplaces, like a warehouse (Fulfillment Center).  :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

"It sounded like bombs"

Know what else sounds like bombs? Bombs. I got a nickle says this is a cover up of extraterrestrial evidence from the Trilateralists, Monsanto, The Dave Brubeck Quartet and Miller Beer (Tastes Great; Less Filling).

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
"It sounded like bombs"

Know what else sounds like bombs? Bombs. I got a nickle says this is a cover up of extraterrestrial evidence from the Trilateralists, Monsanto, The Dave Brubeck Quartet and Miller Beer (Tastes Great; Less Filling).

I thought it was the Whataburgers.
I will NOT comply.

Online DB

Never had one. Are they better than Fuddruckers?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Never had one. Are they better than Fuddruckers?

Texans swear by them, but I've never eaten at one without getting sick.  I never had a Ruddfu...ooops, "Fuddruckers" so I honestly don't know.  If FR can feed me and not make me sick (I'm pretty tolerant, actually), then the answer would be, "No."
I will NOT comply.

Offline Suppressed

Re: Baltimore: "It sounded like bombs": Amazon warehouse collapse leaves 2 dead
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 05:33:14 am »
Miller Beer (Tastes Great; Less Filling).

Cutting into Natty Boh territory, eh?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 05:35:49 am »

I'm giving you one warning.
Lay off the Whataburger cracks!
😎

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 06:50:14 am »
Cutting into Natty Boh territory, eh?
Likely Carling Black Label or COlt 45 in Dundalk.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 02:36:42 pm »
Likely Carling Black Label or COlt 45 in Dundalk.

Good point!

Since you know the area, you might enjoy this...

Mary Prankster -- Blue Skies over Dundalk
! No longer available

Use caution if you look at her other stuff, though.  She drops more F-bombs than a B-52.
+++++++++

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 02:51:58 pm »

Same.  Also, why was this called out?  Why does it matter for purposes of this story that they were contractors rather than employees?  Weird.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 04:02:59 pm »

Same.  Also, why was this called out?  Why does it matter for purposes of this story that they were contractors rather than employees?  Weird.

Not weird.  It probably matters to the families of two people.  If they were employees and not contractors, the odds are they had Life Insurance with double indemnity for being killed on the job.  I had a friend get killed in a plane crash in Taiwan on a business trip, and his Mrs. collected $1M.
I will NOT comply.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 04:53:20 pm »
Not weird.  It probably matters to the families of two people.  If they were employees and not contractors, the odds are they had Life Insurance with double indemnity for being killed on the job.  I had a friend get killed in a plane crash in Taiwan on a business trip, and his Mrs. collected $1M.

Ok, that makes sense.  I apparently just missed the subtext.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 05:01:00 pm »
Ok, that makes sense.  I apparently just missed the subtext.

Not your fault.   :smokin:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 08:20:53 am »
Good point!

Since you know the area, you might enjoy this...

Mary Prankster -- Blue Skies over Dundalk
! No longer available

Use caution if you look at her other stuff, though.  She drops more F-bombs than a B-52.
Beautiful. It hasn't been the same since Sparrow's Point shut down.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis