Author Topic: Reporter Accuses Trump Of Encouraging Political Violence — Trump Flips The Script  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Rush mocked, but nobody running, behaved strongly enough to win.

Only Trump risked taking on the media, as a candidate. And it matters.

Algorithms, curation, fake news, Sherman anti-trust considerations, etc.

It does seem to matter @truth_seeker .  As Harry Truman said, "Tell the truth.  It will please some people and astonish the rest."
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
In Trump's case, it pleases a lot of people and drives the rest into inchoate rage.

Offline goodwithagun

You caused me to break two resolves.  My resolves usually last longer, but you have a certain knack.

@goodwithagun

One resolve was never to correct or comment on another's spelling or grammar.

The other was to stay out of it with the 'mean girl cadre.'

I'm resolving again.  Hope it lasts longer  ... maybe I should skip your posts??

The irony here is deep and wide: 1) Your snarky comment about my spelling had atrocious grammar. 2) You are a mean girl. Your snarky post proves it (as well as so many previous posts full of name calling). 3) Skip my posts all you want, just understand that I will still call out your BS. 4) My original post back to you was a real example of flipping the script, not the “no I’m not you are” comment from prez to media.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

The NYT and WaPo have been known quantities for decades. Rush has been mocking ‘Pinch’ Sulzberger, since he assumed control in the late 90s.

Rush wasn't running for Office. McCain, Romney and Trump were.

If you fail to get the difference, your TDS is worse than previously believed.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Rush wasn't running for Office. McCain, Romney and Trump were.

If you fail to get the difference, your TDS is worse than previously believed.

Yet, at the height of their power, after the heady days of Watergate and before the alternative sources of news, and minimal pushback, they couldn’t prevent 12 years of Reagan and Bush.   🤷‍♂️
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline truth_seeker

Yet, at the height of their power, after the heady days of Watergate and before the alternative sources of news, and minimal pushback, they couldn’t prevent 12 years of Reagan and Bush.   🤷‍♂️

Do you agree, that the power and bias of mainstream media now, have changed since the 1980-1992 timeframe?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Do you agree, that the power and bias of mainstream media now, have changed since the 1980-1992 timeframe?

Their power has diminished, as alternative sources of information have become available to the public. Their bias has not changed, just the volume and desperation, as the dominance ends.  I was born in the Cronkite era. We know exactly what he was. Someone has always been looking to be the next Woodward and Bernstein, since Nixon resigned.  They just have new terms for old ideas. Social justice is just yesterday’s communism.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:15:38 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Hilarious.  Not very long ago, saying ‘no - you do’ would have been described here as childishness or Alinskyism.

His response wasn't name-calling -- it was factually correct and badly needed to be said.

By repeatedly exaggerating and distorting everything Trump says, putting the worst possible spin on every single action he takes, and taking every rumor or innuendo about him and treating it as likely or even true, the mainstream press has whipped up a level of political hatred in this country that hasn't existed since 1860.  You have friendships splintering, and large numbers of people believing that suppressing the free speech/free assembly rights of other citizens is an act of virtue because Trump is just so evil.

This is largely the fault of the press, and of those politicians who have demonized the guy far beyond what some of his admittedly stupid statements would ever deserve.

Offline aligncare

His response wasn't name-calling -- it was factually correct and badly needed to be said.

By repeatedly exaggerating and distorting everything Trump says, putting the worst possible spin on every single action he takes, and taking every rumor or innuendo about him and treating it as likely or even true, the mainstream press has whipped up a level of political hatred in this country that hasn't existed since 1860.  You have friendships splintering, and large numbers of people believing that suppressing the free speech/free assembly rights of other citizens is an act of virtue because Trump is just so evil.

This is largely the fault of the press, and of those politicians who have demonized the guy far beyond what some of his admittedly stupid statements would ever deserve.

Clearest takeaway in 4 sentences I’ve ever seen.   :beer:

And I’ll add: lots of conservatives and republicans soaked it in.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:38:33 pm by aligncare »

Offline truth_seeker

And the fault of so-called Republicans and conservatives, that jump right alongside their media-democrat pals.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Yes, @Maj. Bill Martin   Things are falling apart, but I think the centre will hold as long as we try to stay sane.

I do not have political discussions with my family.  I know my son hates Trump but would never challenge him about it.  But I have lost friends and the ones I lost were all liberals.  This was even before Trump.

The only good thing about the current political climate is that it seems to be opening some eyes.  A decent number of Black Americans are beginning to question the democrat party.  And a lot of legal Hispanics are thinking twice about encouraging a horde of illegals to come in.

The worst the democrats, the press, Hollywood get, the more eyes are opened.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

By repeatedly exaggerating and distorting everything Trump says, putting the worst possible spin on every single action he takes, and taking every rumor or innuendo about him and treating it as likely or even true, the mainstream press has whipped up a level of political hatred in this country that hasn't existed since 1860.

I agree the leftist media overplays their hand in condemning everything Trump touches @Maj. Bill Martin .  That's not new. 

What is new is a right wing media that excuses every failure.

You have friendships splintering, and large numbers of people believing that suppressing the free speech/free assembly rights of other citizens is an act of virtue because Trump is just so evil.

You poor suppressed guy.  :crying:

How did the lame stream media get so powerful while newspapers go bankrupt and broadcast TV loses more audience?

I hope Tuesday slaps some reality into one of us, but I fear it will be at least 2 more years, because a couple seats in the Senate and House doesn't change the political equation. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Well, since neither Bush 41 or Bush 43 fought back ..... :

@Right_in_Virginia

Why would they fight back,when they were profitting from selling out the nation?

Hell,they were corruption business partners with the Clintons.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Emjay wrote:
"Some of us need a dose of Trump's courage."

"I can't spare this man -- he fights !!"

Silver Pines

You caused me to break two resolves.  My resolves usually last longer, but you have a certain knack.

@goodwithagun

One resolve was never to correct or comment on another's spelling or grammar.

The other was to stay out of it with the 'mean girl cadre.'

I'm resolving again.  Hope it lasts longer  ... maybe I should skip your posts??

@Emjay   

Or you could do what conservatives do—-take responsibility for your own actions instead of blaming everyone else.

Silver Pines

Emjay wrote:
"Some of us need a dose of Trump's courage."

"I can't spare this man -- he fights !!"

Lol

Silver Pines

Some of us need a dose of Trump's courage.  Tucker Carlson had a couple of interesting guests last night who were bemoaning how defensive we've all become. 

If someone accuses us of racism or any similar character flaw, we're all, oh, no, I have many friends who are (fill in the blank).  We should just throw it back at them, like 'why would you say such a stupid thing?'

I've learned something from Trump.  Now I just need to put it into practice.

@Emjay

You needed a talking head and a politician to teach you that, and to give you courage?

Well..okay.

Offline goodwithagun

@Emjay

You needed a talking head and a politician to teach you that, and to give you courage?

Well..okay.

Yep. It’s just as pathetic as libs claiming the pres is causing all the drama going on between his office and the media. We are in charge of our feelings and emotions, not inspired to feel a certain way due to a cult of personality.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Silver Pines

Yep. It’s just as pathetic as libs claiming the pres is causing all the drama going on between his office and the media. We are in charge of our feelings and emotions, not inspired to feel a certain way due to a cult of personality.

@goodwithagun

I wonder if there was ever a time when people operated on the principle that politicians are our employees, not heroes to look up to.

Silver Pines

Why is this funny?   :pondering:

@Right_in_Virginia

I've heard/seen it so often, and it's so filled with emotion.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

@Right_in_Virginia

I've heard/seen it so often, and it's so filled with emotion.

That's interesting.  When I hear the words "I cannot spare this man, he fights" they come across to me as devoid of emotion -- and as a sober statement of fact.

Silver Pines

That's interesting.  When I hear the words "I cannot spare this man, he fights" they come across to me as devoid of emotion -- and as a sober statement of fact.

@Right_in_Virginia

It might have been devoid of emotion when Lincoln used it in reference to a battle-scarred general.  But when it's appropriated for a politician?  It's based on emotion.  And a huge overstatement.

Offline goodwithagun

@Right_in_Virginia

It might have been devoid of emotion when Lincoln used it in reference to a battle-scarred general.  But when it's appropriated for a politician?  It's based on emotion.  And a huge overstatement.

Once again, yep! I’m old enough to remember (cough cough 2008-2016 cough cough) when we didn’t expect hope from a politician. Same cult of personality, different personality.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:00:38 am by goodwithagun »
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

@Right_in_Virginia

The words still are devoid of emotion when I hear them; they remain a sober statement of fact.  I guess I just don't glum emotion onto them --- for me the simple statement is powerful enough as it stands.

No right or wrong here, just an interesting difference.   :shrug: