Author Topic: U.S. Economy Added 250,000 Jobs In October; Unemployment 3.7 Percent  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/01/662924222/what-to-look-for-in-the-last-jobs-report-before-the-elections

Employers added 250,000 in October, more than analysts expected, as the jobless rate remained at 3.7 percent, a nearly 50-year low, the Labor Department said Friday. The report gives voters a final glimpse of the economy before Tuesday's midterm elections.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: U.S. Economy Added 250,000 Jobs In October; Unemployment 3.7 Percent
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 12:58:09 pm »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 01:16:32 pm »
Didn't trust the numbers under Obama.  Don't trust them now. 

I suppose the unemployment rate will drop further now that retailers are hiring for the holidays.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 01:19:29 pm »

I suppose the unemployment rate will drop further now that retailers are hiring for the holidays.   *****rollingeyes*****

Well I understand you are losing $50-90K a month on your stock portfolio so you are sour on the economy, but all you have to do is look out in the real world and you can see prosperity everywhere.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 02:06:27 pm »
Jobs added did not meet expectations.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 03:17:48 pm »
Well I understand you are losing $50-90K a month on your stock portfolio so you are sour on the economy, but all you have to do is look out in the real world and you can see prosperity everywhere.

I do not believe that the Labor Department and other departments and agencies, which always did such creative number crunching under Obama and other past presidents just to please the boss and make him look good have suddenly developed an honest streak which makes today's numbers true and correct.  I'm sure they are still  not counting those whose unemployment ran out and who are still not working or who decided to forget it and go on dusability, but they are counting seasonal, temporary and part-time jobs, none of which are worth diddly squat. 

If you didn't believe the numbers during Obama's presidency, why are you believing them now? 

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 03:28:35 pm »

We just drove through 4 states on vacation last week. 60-70% of factories along the highways had help wanted signs on average $14 per hour and up.

One of my clients sells Freightliner trucks.  Trucks are back ordered until next summer.  They have 4 new trucks for sale. Few years back they had  25 for sale.

@Applewood

Offline RoosGirl

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 03:48:11 pm »

Well, you’re not the only one.....

Feb. 9, 2016

“Don't believe those phony numbers when you hear 4.9 and 5 percent unemployment. As high as 35 — as in fact, I heard recently, 42 percent.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/03/10/19-times-trump-called-the-jobs-numbers-fake-before-they-made-him-look-good/?utm_term=.db48b8a505f9
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 03:58:40 pm »

Yes, the dollar menu at McDonald's now costs $2.   Putting the country further into debt is grand!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 04:15:25 pm »
There was a spot on the local news the other night about how local restaurant owners are having problems filling positions for waiters and other restaurant workers.
On a trip to the Twin Cities a few weeks ago  the wife and I joked about one of us taking one of the
"help wanted" jobs postings in many business windows.
Some of them might not be great jobs, but it appears anybody who wants a job can get one somewhere.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 04:37:58 pm »
NPR?!  That commie pinko lying piece of shit, there's no way this article is legit.

I also have The Daily Worker and The Hill reporting the same thing.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 04:42:11 pm »

Well, you’re not the only one.....

Feb. 9, 2016

“Don't believe those phony numbers when you hear 4.9 and 5 percent unemployment. As high as 35 — as in fact, I heard recently, 42 percent.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/03/10/19-times-trump-called-the-jobs-numbers-fake-before-they-made-him-look-good/?utm_term=.db48b8a505f9

Exactly.  And I remember a number of present  Trump supporters also did not believe the numbers under Obama, but now they do because their hero is president and he can do no wrong. 

@Frank Cannon  says to look around and see the prosperity.  Well, I have looked around my neck of the woods and I don't see it.  The only jobs I see are what I mentioned before -- seasonal, temporary and/or part time.  Thsee jobs don't pay the rent or put food on the table.  And other factors such as housing are in a slump.  Maybe there are some places that are doing well.  Not where I live.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 08:25:12 pm by Applewood »

Online corbe

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 04:56:19 pm »
I also have The Daily Worker and The Hill reporting the same thing.

You leave my favorite rag 'The Hill' out of your dubious rants.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 06:51:21 pm »
IExactly.  And I remember a number of present  Trump supporters also did not believe the numbers under Obama, but now they do because their hero is president and he can do no wrong. 

@Frank Cannon  says to look around and see the prosperity.  Well, I have looked around my neck of the woods and I don't see it.  The only jobs I see are what I mentioned before -- seasonal, temporary and/or part time.  Thsee jobs don't pay the rent or put food on the table.  And other factors such as housing are in a slump.  Maybe there are some places that are doing well.  Not where I live.

Trailer parks will always be trailer parks, but PA has the lowest Ump Rate since 2007.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 07:15:35 pm »
Yes, the dollar menu at McDonald's now costs $2.   Putting the country further into debt is grand!

Yes, the dollar menu has quietly morphed into the value menu.   My local McDonalds still sells, unadvertised, double hamburgers for just a buck.   Perfect for all us ROMEOs.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 08:11:26 pm »
I don't know, but it looks pretty good from here.
The last three months 2015 was pretty much dead.
2016 was a little better.
Starting 2017 and on through today, steady increase in our business.
We're having trouble hiring, where we didn't three years ago.
People have jobs, and they don't necessarily want to leave the one they've just went to.

CNC lathe, purchased beginning of 2016, 4-6 weeks lead time, all kinds of buyer incentives.
Same one, only slightly larger, purchased this year, 18 weeks.
The factory couldn't keep up with the new orders.
Support contractors, such as riggers and electricians were waiting on calls.
They would come out the next day, or at least the same week.
Now, hard to get a hold of them.

Granted this is anecdotal evidence, but I've been talking to others, and they are in the same position we are in.

Myself, and others in my industry are generally putting in 60 hour work weeks.
6 days a week is the norm, not the exception.

No, it is definitely picking up in my little part of Texas.

I just hope the fools here don't vote in a guy like Beto and screw the whole thing up.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 08:20:14 pm »
NPR? Fake news!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline endicom

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 08:36:16 pm »
Also...

The U.S. just added 250,000 jobs — here’s which cities need workers

Market Watch
Alessandra Malito
Nov. 2, 2018

Excerpt:

The site found some of the best spots for job-seekers include:

• Rochester, Minn.

• Ames, Iowa

• Murfreesboro, Tenn.

• Burlington, Vt.

• Chandler, Ariz.

• Fargo, N.D.

• Cleveland, Ohio

• Colorado Springs, Colo.

• Cullman, Ala.

More... https://www.marketwatch.com/story/despite-rosy-jobs-numbers-these-cities-still-need-plenty-of-workers-2018-11-02?mod=newsviewer_click

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 09:00:16 pm »
"Tariffs don't work...."   ;)

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 09:40:49 pm »
I kid you not, the news on the radio played a clip of Obama at a campaign stop for somebody, taking credit for it.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline thackney

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2018, 01:55:27 am »
Exactly.  And I remember a number of present  Trump supporters also did not believe the numbers under Obama, but now they do because their hero is president and he can do no wrong. 

Things are booming around here.  I get so many inquiries from LinkedIn for people hunting engineers and designers; it hasn't been this good in a long, long time.  And apparently it isn't just here.  The inquiries are coming for positions in many different states.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2018, 04:14:38 am »

Just out of curiosity, where are you seeing these jobs?  If you're referring to the help wanted signs that are popping up, well, most of the jobs people put signs up for aren't careers, they're jobs.  I've seen a definite increase in those since Trump was elected (though as I posted the other day, the rate of job creation in general hasn't increased, just continued, since then).

And those jobs are still a good sign.  If the middle class white collar folks are worried about their jobs, they don't go out to eat as much.  So if restaurants are hiring, that's a clue that the economy as a whole is improving.

Honestly though, I don't see what I'd call "prosperity".  I see a return to relative normal after a very long slump.  I'm not complaining, we're going in the right direction, but the talk of a "booming economy" is abject nonsense.

BTW, nationally, housing prices were above the peak of the (last) housing boom last time I looked.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2018, 10:00:44 am »
Honestly though, I don't see what I'd call "prosperity".  I see a return to relative normal after a very long slump.  I'm not complaining, we're going in the right direction, but the talk of a "booming economy" is abject nonsense.

I'm guessing if you've been out of work for a couple of years, this damn well is an economic boom and a return to prosperity so maybe it's time to retire the college textbooks.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:41:32 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2018, 10:50:58 am »
I'm guessing if you've been out of work for a couple of years, this damn well is an economic boom and a return to prosperity so maybe it's time to retire the college textbooks.

I’m guessing if you’ve had good work for a couple of years at places like Carrier, Harley Davidson, or Mid-Continent Nail, you’re wondering WTF, as you scramble to get 28 hrs a week of seasonal work at Target, making a fraction of your previous salary.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.