Author Topic: Trump: 'We're going to start paying down debt'  (Read 2676 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump: 'We're going to start paying down debt'
« on: October 31, 2018, 10:02:29 pm »
Trump: 'We're going to start paying down debt'
by Pete Kasperowicz
 | October 31, 2018 04:17 PM

President Trump indicated Wednesday the U.S. government would start paying down the $21.6 trillion in debt it's accrued over the last 80 years.

"We're going to start paying down debt, we have a lot of debt," Trump said during a Wednesday discussion at the White House on the economy. "We're going to start paying down debt."

Trump didn't elaborate, but he made the comment in the context of a discussion about how to improve some of the trade and economic agreements the U.S. has reached over the years. Trump said those past agreements have only helped to let U.S. wealth flow to other countries.

"We have had one of the greatest transfers of wealth in the history of the world," he said. "It's been taken from our country and it's been brought to other countries. And it was only because we had people that were not watching, or they didn't know, or they didn't care, and it's incredible."

He also seemed to allude to the annual U.S. trade deficit by saying the U.S. is losing "a tremendous amount of money ... close to $800 billion a year."

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/trump-were-going-to-start-paying-down-debt
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

Re: Trump: 'We're going to start paying down debt'
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 10:07:52 pm »
He has unemployment down, and the GDP up, and I think he'll make some headway on our debt.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 10:10:47 pm »
Sure he will.

wink777  "Trump didn't elaborate"

Right after Mexico pays for his wall.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 10:16:26 pm »
Sure he will.

@INVAR, the drop in unemployment is very significant and there is no denying that the GDP has risen under Trump.  Provided that we don't see another war or a full blown civil uprising, I think he'll put a dent in the debt.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 10:19:59 pm »
Yeah...riiiiiiiiiight!

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 10:22:14 pm »
I hope he does it just so I can watch more Democrats lose their shit.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 10:23:07 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Concerned

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 10:32:54 pm »
Sure he will.

And right after she's locked up.   *****rollingeyes*****
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 10:35:46 pm »
Are midterms coming up or something?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 11:07:00 pm »
Fake tax cuts, fake EOs, and now fake debt reduction.  The way he’s flailing around, they could use him out here in the Midwest for harvesting.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 11:15:00 pm »
He has unemployment down, and the GDP up, and I think he'll make some headway on our debt.

Exactly right.

Online corbe

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 11:16:22 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 12:29:49 am »

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 12:33:00 am »

Online corbe

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 12:42:17 am »
   Real:
   Conservative
   skin tone
   hair
   teeth.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 12:42:40 am »
@INVAR, the drop in unemployment is very significant and there is no denying that the GDP has risen under Trump.  Provided that we don't see another war or a full blown civil uprising, I think he'll put a dent in the debt.

Not without what’s commonly referred to as ‘entitlement reform.’  Best of luck with that.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 12:43:37 am by edpc »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 12:48:45 am »

Not without what’s commonly referred to as ‘entitlement reform.’  Best of luck with that.

He can make temporary progress through economic growth, but thats a double edged sword - the hotter the economy the higher the prime rate the higher the service on the debt. Entitlement reform is necessary for permanent improvement.

Online LMAO

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 01:04:06 am »

And that will take an act of Congress and any real reforms would be unpopular with the Electorate.

He's blowing smoke on this one
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Hoodat

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 01:06:15 am »
Start paying down debt?  Does he realize that it takes a balanced budget to pay down debt?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online LMAO

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 01:14:05 am »

GDP or unemployment or wages will not bring it down. He would have been better to say "we will work on bringing the DEFICT down."
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online corbe

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 01:26:44 am »
   He should have been honest and said "I haven't cleared this with Kudlow but I'm gonna make every @Legal American a Billionaire, like me".

Offline edpc

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 02:41:00 am »
But in his bestselling book, Art of the Deal, published at the conclusion of the Reagan presidency, Trump cited Reagan as an example of someone who could “con people” but couldn’t “deliver the goods.” Trump said Reagan was “so smooth” that he “won over the American people.” But at the conclusion of his presidency, “people are beginning to question whether there is anything beneath that smile,” Trump writes.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/04/trump_vs_conman_reagan.html

How prescient.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 02:47:44 am »
   Real:
   Conservative
   skin tone
   hair
   teeth.

Isn't that the guy who can barely get 4 points ahead of a skateboarding devout Marxist?

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 03:01:14 am »

Yep. To pay down debt you have to stop borrowing.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2018, 03:06:27 am »
Start paying down debt?  Does he realize that it takes a balanced budget to pay down debt?

SHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the power of Trump's breath and the unwavering belief among his fanbase, such facts are mere nuisances that can be ignored for bold blind faith in what our national savior decrees at the moment.

Which is of course, only valid in the moment he says it because he is far and above us mere mortals down here.

Online DB

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 03:07:22 am »
It is easy to make things boom when you cut taxes and increase government spending - with borrowed printed money. It isn't real and can't be sustained.