Author Topic: The Pittsburgh Massacre Wasn’t Trump’s Fault, but He’s Not Helping By Jonah Goldberg  (Read 1763 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
   The Pittsburgh Massacre Wasn’t Trump’s Fault, but He’s Not Helping
By Jonah Goldberg

October 31, 2018 6:30 AM

The president’s inability to act, well, presidential is problematic enough.

The debate over whether or not President Trump encouraged the man who set out to slaughter Jews at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh really isn’t a debate at all. It’s a shouting match.

“Yes, he did!”

“No, he didn’t!”

And it will likely only make things worse, as each side grows increasingly deaf to its own heated rhetoric and ever more furious at the other’s.

Here’s a better question: Is Trump helping?

The answer is obviously no — and that’s bad enough.

Let us stipulate that the pro-Israel father of Ivanka Trump, who converted to Judaism when she married Jared Kushner, is not “literally Hitler.” But let’s also stipulate that there’s something about Trump and his MAGA nationalism that’s been, and remains, very attractive to bigots. This doesn’t mean that everyone who jumped aboard the Trump train is a bigot. Far from it. But it is simply true that some who did are bigots, and Trump and his team have been dismayingly unconcerned about this fact.

more
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/10/pittsburgh-massacre-trump-not-helping-not-presidential/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Tedious, Goldberg. Tedious.

Do yourself a favor and find something else to write about. This particular subject, besides being beaten to bloody death, is entirely unproductive.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Tedious, Goldberg. Tedious.

Do yourself a favor and find something else to write about. This particular subject, besides being beaten to bloody death, is entirely unproductive.

:amen:
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Frank Cannon

And garbage hand wringing pieces like this is why no one reads NR anymore.

Offline endicom

If nationalist has implications then so does internationalist or globalist. So choose your poison or take a more rational view of what nationalist might mean.

Offline Absalom

:amen:
-----------------------------------
Goldberg is simply another neo-con con artist who, at his core, is a lefty symp;
just as Kristol, Boot, Podhoretz and the rest of the Commentary gang are.
He masquerades as a conservative but wouldn't know its core principles from a brick.
Sadly his fan club, in perpetual thrall, has never noticed.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Jonah is a Certified Jew (TM), so he must be listened to. :whistle:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 09:40:58 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Absalom

--------------------------------
Don't mind listening to anyone w/something of substance to say,
but when was the last time Goldberg was in that category?????

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
This guy blocked me on twitter, lol.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Antisemitism must not be tolerated here. EVER. If you want to express such garbage, please do so at a website that will appreciate it. Like StormFront.

Me? I'm a "certified Jew" who happens to support our President, in spite of the idiots who treat him like God.

Jonah Goldberg is a friend of liberty, and always has been. I like Trump more than he does, but that doesn't make him a bad person.

Hatred of Jews is evil, ugly and stupid. And if that isn't enough for you, it pisses off crazy Jews like me who own a shitload of firearms and have had to endure a lifetime's worth of crap from people who refuse to accept them, no matter how much we demonstrate our virtues.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Antisemitism must not be tolerated here. EVER. If you want to express such garbage, please do so at a website that will appreciate it. Like StormFront.

Me? I'm a "certified Jew" who happens to support our President, in spite of the idiots who treat him like God.

Jonah Goldberg is a friend of liberty, and always has been. I like Trump more than he does, but that doesn't make him a bad person.

Hatred of Jews is evil, ugly and stupid. And if that isn't enough for you, it pisses off crazy Jews like me who own a shitload of firearms and have had to endure a lifetime's worth of crap from people who refuse to accept them, no matter how much we demonstrate our virtues.

Did you notice my whistling emoji?  I think I was being sarcastic. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Did you notice my whistling emoji?  I think I was being sarcastic.

I am sorry - I did not take that as sarcasm.  I have seen voices in this space that would have not meant it as sarcasm.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I am sorry - I did not take that as sarcasm.  I have seen voices in this space that would have not meant it as sarcasm.

So have I.  They piss me off.
I will NOT comply.

Offline andy58-in-nh

So have I.  They piss me off.

Well, obviously they piss me off, too. 

I really don't want to be one of those hypersensitive, passive-aggressive people who take offense in order to gain a perceived advantage.  There's just a whole lot of ugly out there, man.  Glad to see that you're not among them.  :beer:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Well, obviously they piss me off, too. 

I really don't want to be one of those hypersensitive, passive-aggressive people who take offense in order to gain a perceived advantage.  There's just a whole lot of ugly out there, man.  Glad to see that you're not among them.  :beer:

Certainly not!   :beer:
I will NOT comply.

Silver Pines

Goldberg is simply another neo-con con artist who, at his core, is a lefty symp;
just as Kristol, Boot, Podhoretz and the rest of the Commentary gang are.
He masquerades as a conservative but wouldn't know its core principles from a brick.
Sadly his fan club, in perpetual thrall, has never noticed.

@Absalom

Oh, for the love of God.  That's a TOS-inspired dismissal if I ever heard one.  Who are we supposed to read?  Is there anyone pure enough?  Maybe Conservative Treehouse or that nut, Hoft?

You can disagree with someone about points and they can still be a conservative.  Goldberg is one.

You should read his book, The Death Of The West.  I learned quite a lot.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Certainly not!   :beer:
@Cyber Liberty
@andy58-in-nh
Speaking as a certifiable Jew (I'm actually a Messianic Jew but let's not get technical), I knew it was sarcasm. I know Cyber Liberty enough to know he's about as anti-Semitic as Attila the Hun was an apostle of peace.

But someone has got to come up with a clearer sarcasm emoji!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty
@andy58-in-nh
Speaking as a certifiable Jew (I'm actually a Messianic Jew but let's not get technical), I knew it was sarcasm. I know Cyber Liberty enough to know he's about as anti-Semitic as Attila the Hun was an apostle of peace.

But someone has got to come up with a clearer sarcasm emoji!

TY!

Hmmmm  :pondering:

That's a worthy quest!
I will NOT comply.

Offline endicom

FWIW, I was unsure about that post. But @Cyber Liberty is not someone just passing through so the post was not likely serious.

@andy58-in-nh

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

FWIW, I was unsure about that post. But @Cyber Liberty is not someone just passing through so the post was not likely serious.

@andy58-in-nh

ty!  I am probably serious about half the time.
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

TY!

Hmmmm  :pondering:

That's a worthy quest!
This one could actually work . . .

@mystery-ak
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 03:14:31 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline endicom

Offline EasyAce

Nah, needs to be bigger.
You didn't forget the sarcasm tag, did you?  wink777

Offline Absalom

@Absalom

Oh, for the love of God.  That's a TOS-inspired dismissal if I ever heard one.  Who are we supposed to read?  Is there anyone pure enough?  Maybe Conservative Treehouse or that nut, Hoft?

You can disagree with someone about points and they can still be a conservative.  Goldberg is one.

You should read his book, The Death Of The West.  I learned quite a lot.
So you learned a lot? Bet you did!
Knowing who wrote what is a good start.
A generation ago Patrick Buchanan wrote "The Death of the West" in
which he attributed the decline of Western Civilization to their rapidly
declining populations (attributable to rising abortion and birth control)
as well as the increase in third world immigration.
The Wise Greeks grasped that the Principle of Prescription demanded
that timeless behavior was always superior to any/all current whims.
By that standard, Buchanan was clairvoyant.
Goldberg, a scribbler at National Review, wrote "The Suicide of the West"
recently; asserting that Tribalism, Populism, Nationalism and Identity
Politics are the culprits for the morass that engulfs the West.
Hmm.........surprised he left out Transgenderism.
It's a good thing that Lightweight Lowery runs the shop at National Review
and not Buckley and Rusher. Otherwise Goldberg, who will never remind
anyone of either Spengler or Von Ranke, would be looking for work!!!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:14:24 pm by Absalom »

Silver Pines

So you learned a lot? Bet you did!
Knowing who wrote what is a good start.
A generation ago Patrick Buchanan wrote "The Death of the West" in
which he attributed the decline of Western Civilization to their rapidly
declining populations (attributable to rising abortion and birth control)
as well as the increase in third world immigration.
The Wise Greeks grasped that the Principle of Prescription demanded
that timeless behavior was always superior to any/all current whims.
By that standard, Buchanan was clairvoyant.
Goldberg, a scribbler at National Review, wrote "The Suicide of the West"
recently; asserting that Tribalism, Populism, Nationalism and Identity
Politics are the culprits for the morass that engulfs the West.
Hmm.........surprised he left out Transgenderism.
It's a good thing that Lightweight Lowery runs the shop at National Review
and not Buckley and Rusher. Otherwise Goldberg, who will never remind
anyone of either Spengler or Von Ranke, would be looking for work!!!

@Absalom

Yeah, my mistake.  I meant Suicide of the West. I'm aware of Buchanan's book, obviously.

Actually Goldberg's book contains a lot more than that.  It's also an extensive history of the birth and development of capitalism, its ability to pull people out of poverty, and the lack of gratitude on the part of Americans for what he calls "the Miracle" that is a necessity in allowing it to continue.

Some reviews for you, since I don't think you've read it:

“An absolutely magnificent book! Jonah Goldberg is brilliant – both in his intellect and in his writing. Amusing, terrifying, informative and thought-provoking, Suicide of the West is an intellectual oasis of hope in a desert of self-destructive ignorance.”
—Brad Thor, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Spymaster

“Understanding where America stands calls for someone with an intellectual lens that can integrate Schumpeter and Fight Club, Karl Marx and Walter White. In Suicide of the West, Jonah Goldberg begins with a compelling thesis, expounds it with massive evidence, and led me to a new and deeper understanding of our predicament. And yet I found myself reading the book for fun. How is it possible with a book this serious? Jonah Goldberg is that good.”
—Charles Murray, author of Coming Apart

“…an important exploration of why we’re giving up the philosophy that built the modern West.”
—Ben Shapiro

“Jonah Goldberg’s Suicide of the West is a tour de force. As ever, Goldberg wears his extraordinary erudition lightly as he demonstrates how the ideas that have animated free societies for the past 250 years are the greatest creations of humankind—and how we are imperiling our posterity by the way we mishandle, ignore, and belittle them. This is a very important book.”
—John Podhoretz, Editor, Commentary Magazine

By the way, is there any reason you capitalize all of those random words in your sentences?