Author Topic: Exclusive — House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy: ‘No Longer Just Republicans Versus Democrats; It’s  (Read 12795 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Hell yes I scoff.  Mom worked there for over 30 years, and many relatives have used it for care.  I'd replace it with a system where veterans could see the doctor of their choice at a private facility in an instant.  I am embarrassed and horrified at the way we treat those who served.

Would they be paying for that private care themselves or would the taxpayers cover it?

Our biggest health issues come from our wealth, primarily that we're fat.

True, but Europe is pretty fat too. It's just a fact that more people there have access to all encompassing healthcare without issues with cost. When that is the case the health of their average person will be better.

I've heard the saying.  I've heard the theories, including during my graduate Health Economics class.  But I've also read the actual studies that are showing that the cost of "free" preventative care leads to an overall increase in the cost of health care.

I guess we'll never know for sure unless we try to make something happen. It's really just fun to talk about for me. I'm actually going to be moving to Europe, so I'm really less invested in these issues than ever. I hope we can all still be cool once I'm officially euro trash. haha It has nothing to do with spite against America for me. I was in the military and will always think of myself as patriot of this country. It's all about a girl.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Just remember, if it's "free" it's not affordable.

Online LMAO

Some of the other countries that don't have some form of national healthcare...

Zimbabwe

Turkmenistan

Tajikistan

Syrian Arab Republic

Suriname

Sudan

Somalia

Sierra Leone

Nigeria

Mozambique

Liberia

Lebanon

Kenya

Jordan

Iraq

Ethiopia - Wait, no, my mistake; Ethiopia has a national healthcare system.

Dominican Republic

Chad

Cambodia

Afghanistan

Are you comparing the state of healthcare in the US to those countries or just the fact they also do not have Universal healthcare also? I work in the US healthcare system for 30 years and I wouldn't compare us to the listed countries. We lead the world in medical research and innovation

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Dexter

Are you comparing the state of healthcare in the US to those countries or just the fact they also do not have Universal healthcare also? I work in the US healthcare system for 30 years and I wouldn't compare us to the listed countries. We lead the world in medical research and innovation

I understand that we probably shouldn't be sharing categories with any of those countries. But yes, our healthcare is much better than the countries listed.
-Socrates

Online LMAO

I understand that we probably shouldn't be sharing categories with any of those countries. But yes, our healthcare is much better than the countries listed.

Ok, I misunderstood the point you were making and thanks for clarifying
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Would they be paying for that private care themselves or would the taxpayers cover it?

True, but Europe is pretty fat too. It's just a fact that more people there have access to all encompassing healthcare without issues with cost. When that is the case the health of their average person will be better.

I guess we'll never know for sure unless we try to make something happen. It's really just fun to talk about for me. I'm actually going to be moving to Europe, so I'm really less invested in these issues than ever. I hope we can all still be cool once I'm officially euro trash. haha It has nothing to do with spite against America for me. I was in the military and will always think of myself as patriot of this country. It's all about a girl.

No veteran should ever pay for care for a service related injury.  However, "service related" can be argued, and if there's one place the government tries to keep from spending money it's on care for our vets.  My preference would be to have the government out of the healthcare picture as soon it is medically safe to do so (obviously, emergency care on/near the battlefield is going to be gov't run).  If we could get rid of the VA, we should be able to pay our troops enough more so they could buy insurance on the private markets, even if there is a premium for dangerous activities, and save money in the process.

People in Europe do not have access to "all encompassing healthcare without issues with cost".  For one thing, they're paying for it one way or the other.  For another, care is routinely denied.

When government steps in, it drives costs up, not down.  So when you look at the big picture, that means there's less money available for the care that is actually necessary.  As Uncle Miltie put it...

Two simple observations are key to explaining both the high level of spending on medical care and the dissatisfaction with that spending. The first is that most payments to physicians or hospitals or other caregivers for medical care are made not by the patient but by a third party—an insurance company or employer or governmental body. The second is that nobody spends somebody else’s money as wisely or as frugally as he spends his own

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Dexter

Ok, I misunderstood the point you were making and thanks for clarifying

Chad

Zimbabwe

Afghanistan

and then us, the United States of America, the greatest country in the history of the world on the same list as countries that don't have national healthcare for their citizens? I don't know. It almost seems unworthy of us somehow.
-Socrates

Chad

Zimbabwe

Afghanistan

and then us, the United States of America, the greatest country in the history of the world on the same list as countries that don't have national healthcare for their citizens? I don't know. It almost seems unworthy of us somehow.

You could make a list of countries that don't require their citizens to register their guns (if they're allowed to have them).  I'd rather be on that list, regardless of who else was on it.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Dexter

People in Europe do not have access to "all encompassing healthcare without issues with cost".  For one thing, they're paying for it one way or the other. 

Yes, there's no such thing as free, but because their health is covered through taxes no questions asked they can get preventative care without thinking about the cost. They can go to the doctor and get care often without it seriously jeopardizing their finances.

For another, care is routinely denied.

I seriously question how often that happens and for what reasons. Like I showed earlier Europeans are pretty happy with what they have. If it didn't work and they weren't getting care they wouldn't be happy with it.

When government steps in, it drives costs up, not down.  So when you look at the big picture, that means there's less money available for the care that is actually necessary.  As Uncle Miltie put it...

I would like to see humanity get to the point where all people everywhere have access to healthcare and higher education. I think that would be incredible for us. I think it would begin a golden age that would take us to the stars and beyond. Until the day I leave this world I will advocate for what I think will strengthen humanity as a whole, and sometimes those things aren't super cost friendly. Money is an obstacle to our ultimate potential as sentient creatures.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 04:12:37 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yes, there's no such thing as free, but ...

I would like to see humanity get to the point where all people everywhere have access to healthcare and higher education. I think that would be incredible for us. I think it would begin a golden age that would take us to the stars and beyond. Until the day I leave this world I will advocate for what I think will strengthen humanity as a whole, and sometimes those things aren't super cost friendly. Money is an obstacle to our ultimate potential as sentient creatures.

No, money is not the obstacle.  To get to the point you want to get to we either have to change the basic nature of humanity or create a ruling structure that will force humanity to do that which is against our nature.

Offline Dexter

-Socrates

Online LMAO

No, money is not the obstacle.  To get to the point you want to get to we either have to change the basic nature of humanity or create a ruling structure that will force humanity to do that which is against our nature.

Well money is a big  obstacle.  But our nature is an obstacle ,also. If/when taxes get too high for people’s comfort level, they do make economic decisions that they feel are in their own personal best interest. Human nature. A perfect example is people and businesses leaving high tax states to move to lower tax states.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 06:18:08 am by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Yes, there's no such thing as free, but because their health is covered through taxes no questions asked they can get preventative care without thinking about the cost. They can go to the doctor and get care often without it seriously jeopardizing their finances.

I seriously question how often that happens and for what reasons. Like I showed earlier Europeans are pretty happy with what they have. If it didn't work and they weren't getting care they wouldn't be happy with it.

If something isn't cost friendly, it doesn't strengthen humanity as a whole, it weakens it.  If you can't, or won't, grasp this, you'll never understand the concept of cost or the concept of strengthening humanity.

Offline Dexter

If something isn't cost friendly, it doesn't strengthen humanity as a whole, it weakens it.  If you can't, or won't, grasp this, you'll never understand the concept of cost or the concept of strengthening humanity.

I think for now on a national level government funded college and healthcare would strengthen America a lot if we could somehow pull off a miracle and make that happen without ruining us in the greatest country on Earth. Stuff like this could make the difference in the long game against our rival China.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 06:04:38 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

I think for now on a national level government funded college and healthcare would strengthen America a lot if we could somehow pull off a miracle and make that happen without ruining us in the greatest country on Earth. Stuff like this could make the difference in the long game against our rival China.

College tuition and healthcare costs have been growing at several times the rate of inflation for the past few decades.  Basically, since the federal government got involved in each.  When you give someone something for "free", they don't look at the actual cost, which makes it much more expensive (unless you're a DC lawyer sucking off the waste).

Offline Dexter

College tuition and healthcare costs have been growing at several times the rate of inflation for the past few decades.  Basically, since the federal government got involved in each.  When you give someone something for "free", they don't look at the actual cost, which makes it much more expensive (unless you're a DC lawyer sucking off the waste).

If the government messed things up there has to be a way to unmess it. Education and healthcare shouldn't cost nearly as much as they do. There are obviously sinister forces at work. I don't believe it's impossible to make it affordable to give all citizens access to those things in the United States of America. There's no way. I don't believe we can't stomp out the corruption that is making it impossible for it to be affordable. If we could do that it would give the U.S a serious edge.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:01:41 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
If the government messed things up there has to be a way to unmess it. Education and healthcare shouldn't cost nearly as much as they do. There are obviously sinister forces at work. I don't believe it's impossible to make it affordable to give all citizens access to those things in the United States of America. There's no way. I don't believe we can't stomp out the corruption that is making it impossible for it to be affordable. If we could do that it would give the U.S a serious edge.

Subsidizing government payment for it won't make it more affordable.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
What is that?

Well, why don't you tell us?  You think people are basically good, and apparently will work hard to pay taxes and support other people.  Does that comport with what you see from actual, real people?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I think for now on a national level government funded college and healthcare would strengthen America a lot if we could somehow pull off a miracle and make that happen without ruining us in the greatest country on Earth.

The greatest country on earth was ruined in part, by people who think that they should be provided for by other people's money and that government should be used to take wealth from others to redistribute to them at gunpoint.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online LMAO

Well, why don't you tell us?  You think people are basically good, and apparently will work hard to pay taxes and support other people.  Does that comport with what you see from actual, real people?

I have a relative who desperately wants universal healthcare so she can quit her job. I asked her if she’s not willing to pay for universal healthcare , why does she think anyone else will be?

Barry Goldwater

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I have a relative who desperately wants universal healthcare so she can quit her job. I asked her if she’s not willing to pay for universal healthcare , why does she think anyone else will be?

I'm constantly amazed by this airy-fairy, "Teach the World to Sing", Kumbaya feeling about people. People can be amazing and awesome, but for the most part they are self-absorbed, selfish and don't want to work any more than they have to. 

So, how did the relative answer?

Offline Dexter

I think people are born good, and that a cruel and unforgiving world makes them mistrustful and selfish. If the world we all grew up in wasn't so cruel and unforgiving maybe so many people wouldn't lose their light along the way.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

Subsidizing government payment for it won't make it more affordable.

No, but maybe it's possible to make it just plain affordable, somehow, even if it's more. I've already graduated college and I still am in support of these things. How is China going to compete with us if every bright young mind in America can go get educated without zounds of debt holding them back for 30 years?

When we call ourselves the greatest in the world are we measuring that by the size of our military? By how little taxes we pay? Personally I think success should be measured by happiness. Americans should be the happiest and healthiest people in the world, but they're not, not even close. What is the goal here exactly if not to make as many people as possible as happy and comfortable as possible?
-Socrates

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I think people are born good.

No they are not.

You obviously never had children of your own.

A human's nature all by itself is totally and completely selfish and self-absorbed.  Morals and outgoing concern have to be taught, and even then the pull of the flesh and this world reverts everyone to their base natures when not bridled and constrained by morality and religion.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Dexter

The greatest country on earth was ruined in part, by people who think that they should be provided for by other people's money and that government should be used to take wealth from others to redistribute to them at gunpoint.

Would you, your family and people you know not benefit from not paying health insurance and having unlimited access to doctors without increased cost? Are there no young people in your life that would really benefit from not going into debt for college? You shouldn't be forced to do anything, but some taxes are necessary to run a nation. Some more taxes could make the nation you live in the undisputed best in more than just its killing capability. I want our country to be the envy of the world and it really just isn't anymore. I think giving our bright young minds as much opportunity as possible is how we get back to that.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 04:38:13 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates