Author Topic: How do dogs process words? Brain study investigates  (Read 1778 times)

rangerrebew

How do dogs process words? Brain study investigates
« on: October 26, 2018, 01:26:27 pm »
How do dogs process words? Brain study investigates
Published Friday 19 October 2018
By Ana Sandoiu   

For the first time, scientists trained dogs to sit still inside a brain scanner so they could investigate how the canine brain distinguishes between new and old words.

What happpens in the dogs' brains when they hear new words?

When science sets out to explore the connection that humans have with their dogs, the results are bound to be fascinating.

For instance, a study Medical News Today reported on last year found that dogs prefer to ignore danger and look at their owners' smiling faces instead. Oxytocin, the "love hormone" that boosts attachment between humans and between humans and their pets mediates this effect.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323381.php
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 01:27:05 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: How do dogs process words? Brain study investigates
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 08:47:44 pm »
Many dog owners think that their dogs know what some words mean, but there really isn't much scientific evidence to support that."

Horsecrap!

Our dog knows the words "eats", "go", "ride", "walk", "Frisbee", ""sit", and "ball". His ears perk up when he hears one of those words and he acts accordingly to whichever word we utter. If I say ride, he runs to the door and upon being let out, runs to the nearest vehicle wanting to be let into it. If we say eats, he sits and expects a treat. If we say ball or Frisbee, he runs into the garage and gets whichever toy we call for, bringing it to us to throw.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 08:54:42 pm »
Horsecrap!

Our dog knows the words "eats", "go", "ride", "walk", "Frisbee", ""sit", and "ball". His ears perk up when he hears one of those words and he acts accordingly to whichever word we utter. If I say ride, he runs to the door and upon being let out, runs to the nearest vehicle wanting to be let into it. If we say eats, he sits and expects a treat. If we say ball or Frisbee, he runs into the garage and gets whichever toy we call for, bringing it to us to throw.

Don't spell the word 'chicken' around my Boston. We often dogsit my sons' dog - 'where's your daddy?' sends him straight to the front door.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 09:07:11 pm »
   My dogs don't like the few seedy characters I have in my Life showing me that they are a better judge of people and smarter than I am. They are both rescues from a miserable life.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 09:12:31 pm »
Horsecrap!

That's right.
Say 'treat', or 'Milkbone' to my dog Chewy and you will get a very excited affirmative.
But say 'bone' and he will go ballistic.

He also exactly understands 'gee' and 'haw' and discriminates them both from the more specific (BringEm)'Round Gee' and (BringEm)'Round Haw'... Say 'go bring em up', and he will go fetch whatever herd and bring it to where you said the command. 'Hold em (up)' will cause him to bunch and hold a herd. Not to mention 'sit', 'down', 'stay', 'heel', 'scout', 'range', And all of the above will also work with a whistle or a hand sign too, for when he is ranging far enough to be out of easy speech.

He knows exactly what I am saying. And I think he understands horse too.

These people are morons.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 09:21:04 pm »
I was just outside with my dogs.  I heard squirrels running around on the roof.  Big dog hates squirrels.  I called him over to me, figuring he would hear the pitter patter of little squirrely feet and go after them.  He couldn't figure out what I wanted until I said "squirrel" and he immediately started looking for them and then chased them to the back of the house.  He knew exactly what I was saying.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 09:21:14 pm »
Two smartest dogs I ever owned, one was a toy poodle the other was a Blue Healer (both female). My current Beagle isn't the brightest thing, but she is loving and understand the basics of commands, but can't control herself when she smells something good.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 09:33:19 pm »
When we tell my son it's time to get ready for bed my bitch will get up and go into the bedroom and lay down on her bed.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 09:52:43 pm »

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 10:10:49 pm »
When we tell my son it's time to get ready for bed my bitch will get up and go into the bedroom and lay down on her bed.

That’s great you have @Frank Cannon trained so well.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 10:13:43 pm »

LOL   888high58888

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 10:34:40 pm »

Oh brother.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 10:48:36 pm »

:bigsilly: :bigsilly: :bigsilly:

TOP NOTCH!!!

Online berdie

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 01:06:22 am »
I really think that people get paid for these studies. I want someone to call me to participate.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 01:59:22 am »
We're checking out at the pet store, and the cashier has treats for the dogs.  She puts out her left hand and says "Shake!" a few times.  Girl dog just sits there with a funny look on her face.  Cashier says "Aw, it's okay", and gives my dog a little condescending pat on the head and a cookie.  Bitch.

I said, "You're doing it wrong.  Your left hand is 'paw', your right hand is 'shake'".

My dog's not stupid you little twit, you were giving her one hand signal and a conflicting voice command.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 02:39:37 am »
Girl dogs = bitch
Boy dogs = dog

It's okay to use the correct terms for them.  Just sayin.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 01:43:06 pm »
Horsecrap!

It's not just single words, but phrases, hand signals, facial expressions and tone of voice.  Great Pyrenees are notoriously difficult to train, but mine has a vocabulary that grows daily.  If I tap a foot rapidly on the floor he knows he's pushing it and goes and lays down by the front door.  "Mind your manners" means he quits doing whatever and sits or lays down quietly.  "We see the bad guy" means he can quit barking and growling and otherwise warning us.  "Go to your place" sends him to the front door.  He also knows the usual "sit", "down", "wait", "treats", "stand", "heal".  Dogs who live with people integrate into the family life and develop behaviors accordingly.  They get good at reading faces and moods. I trust my dog's intuition about people far more that I trust my own. 

"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2018, 01:46:59 pm »
I was just outside with my dogs.  I heard squirrels running around on the roof.  Big dog hates squirrels.  I called him over to me, figuring he would hear the pitter patter of little squirrely feet and go after them.  He couldn't figure out what I wanted until I said "squirrel" and he immediately started looking for them and then chased them to the back of the house.  He knew exactly what I was saying.

All of my dogs have hated squirrels.  The word would send them looking just like that.  My Great Pyrenees apparently has no prey drive.  He will look at a squirrel and just keep walking.  Apparently he doesn't classify them as either threat or protectee, so has no interest.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 02:16:39 pm »
All of my dogs have hated squirrels.  The word would send them looking just like that.  My Great Pyrenees apparently has no prey drive.  He will look at a squirrel and just keep walking.  Apparently he doesn't classify them as either threat or protectee, so has no interest.

My big dog is 1/2 Pyrenees and 1/2 Border Collie.  Either way, he's smart as a whip, super-easy to train and hates squirrels and buzzards.

Pyrs are very intelligent, but independent - not so anxious to make their people happy, so they are harder to train. But, once they get something, that's it.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 09:07:24 pm »
My big dog is 1/2 Pyrenees and 1/2 Border Collie. 

That would seem anatomically impossible... But then, we once had a shetland mare trhow a foal unexpectedly... The only stud she'd been around was a Clydesdale... Yeah. they did. Go figger.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2018, 09:15:19 pm »
That would seem anatomically impossible... But then, we once had a shetland mare trhow a foal unexpectedly... The only stud she'd been around was a Clydesdale... Yeah. they did. Go figger.

No, it's actually a thing.  Do a search (not Google) for Great Pyrenees/Border Collie puppies.  Makes for a great dog.

I suspect mine was an accident since he was dumped.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2018, 09:24:51 pm »
No, it's actually a thing.  Do a search (not Google) for Great Pyrenees/Border Collie puppies.  Makes for a great dog.

Yeah that Shetland/Clyde turned out pretty neat too... Spotted Dun Paint... 16 hands... Morgan-ish frame... white mane and feathers.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2018, 01:07:04 pm »

I suspect mine was an accident since he was dumped.

My first thought was  "that is probably a great dog".  Does he bark much?   At the Great Pyrenees Rescue we see some unlikely combinations. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2018, 02:13:37 pm »
My first thought was  "that is probably a great dog".  Does he bark much?   At the Great Pyrenees Rescue we see some unlikely combinations.

No, he doesn't.  He only barks when he thinks it's necessary.  And, since he sounds like Cujo when he does, I'm glad.