Author Topic: Trump considering plan to ban entry of migrants at southern border, deny asylum  (Read 662 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Washington Post By Nick Miroff ,Dan Lamothe and Josh Dawsey 10/25/2018

Fixated on the migrant caravan moving north through Mexico, President Trump is weighing a plan to shut the U.S. border to Central Americans and deny them the opportunity to seek asylum, asserting similar emergency powers used during the early 2017 “travel ban,” according to administration officials and people familiar with the proposal.

The White House is also preparing to deploy as many as 1,000 additional U.S. troops to assist in security operations at the southern border in anticipation of the caravan’s arrival, officials said.

Under U.S. law, foreign nationals fleeing persecution have the right to apply for asylum once they reach American soil, but the executive order under consideration would suspend that provision and bar Central Americans as a matter of national security, according to those familiar with the proposal.

Such a move would probably trigger immediate challenges in U.S. courts.

With the midterm elections two weeks away, Trump has seized on the migrant caravan as a vehicle for his own campaign messaging, depicting the Central American families as dangerous criminals and Democrats as their enablers.

According to a draft of the proposed rule reviewed by The Washington Post, the administration argues that the president can use his authority under Section 212(f) of the Immigration and Nationality Act to declare certain migrants ineligible for asylum because it “would be contrary to the national interest” and “detrimental to the interests of the United States.”

The section is the same legal authority he invoked during the travel ban.

Several administration officials cautioned that the proposal is not yet finalized and is one of several measures under consideration. Taken together, they could help physically and legally fortify the southern border in anticipation of the arrival of large numbers of migrants the president characterizes as a threat.

“The Administration is considering wide range administrative, legal and legislative options to address the Democrat-created crisis of mass illegal immigration,” said a White House official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive internal discussions. “No decisions have been made at this time,” the official said. “Nor will we forecast to smugglers or caravans what precise strategies will or will not be deployed.”

Said another administration official when asked about the Central America ban, “Everything is on the table.”

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/pentagon-plans-to-dispatch-800-more-troops-to-us-mexico-border-in-response-to-migrant-caravan/2018/10/25/6a121944-d868-11e8-83a2-d1c3da28d6b6_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f0d25b8e6ca3

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
http://www.orlytaitzesq.com/see-below-my-tweets-to-president-trump-regarding-the-caravan-and-see-the-response-in-the-article-below-president-trump-is-planning-a-proclamation-and-executive-order-that-i-recommended/

See below my tweets to President Trump regarding the caravan and see the response in the article below. President Trump is planning a proclamation and executive order that I recommended

Posted on | October 25, 2018 | No Comments

Dr. Orly Taitz, Esq.‏ @DrOrlyTaitzEsq 11h11 hours ago
    More

@realDonaldTrump Just as the Supreme Court confirmed temporary ban from other countries, time for temp ban on asylums from Honduras, Venezuela, El Salvador due to massive invasion with hordes of people infiltrated by drug cartels, criminals and possible terrorists.

Dr. Orly Taitz, Esq.‏@DrOrlyTaitzEsqOct 22
    More

US President can issue a proclamation or executive order that the nations of Honduras, El Salvador, Quatemala and Mexico do not persecute their citizens based on race, religion, ethnicity and political aff-n and there will be no asylums granted to their citizens

This is reported later today:

The San Francisco Chronicle reported:

The Trump administration is considering an executive action that could use travel ban-like authority to block certain asylum seekers at the Mexican border, sources familiar with the discussions said Thursday.     

First, Homeland Security and the Justice Department would issue a rule limiting immigrants’ ability to seek asylum if they are part of a population barred by the president. The rule would take effect immediately, unlike most, and be justified as an extraordinary situation.

That would clear the way for Trump to issue a proclamation directed at a specific population, expected to target the 7,000-plus Central Americans heading toward the U.S.

The Washington Post reported:

Fixated on the migrant caravan moving north through Mexico, President Trump is weighing a plan to shut the U.S. border to Central Americans and deny them the opportunity to seek asylum, asserting similar emergency powers used during the early 2017 “travel ban,” according to administration officials and people familiar with the proposal.

Offline libertybele

Ok ... I found another similar article to this one which is in contrast to the article published saying the Trump agreed to allow the refugees to apply for asylum in Mexico and then to allow the UN to place them in host countries.

White House weighs executive actions to block migrant caravan at the border

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/25/migrants-caravan-white-house-executive-order-941993
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
"Fixated" or not, I hope he does this.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
"Fixated" or not, I hope he does this.
It's the only way to stop this crap. "Community Organized" mass migrations with the extra jihadi/criminal element mixed in.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Many in this caravan -- and in the "caravans yet to come" (of which there will be more) -- are not going to be "stopped" by a refusal of asylum.

They will "rush the border" to get in.

The only way to STOP them from "getting in" will be the use of physical force against them. This includes men, women and children.

If we are not willing to apply such force, then we will deserve our ultimate fate, which is our country will be overwhelmed by waves of invaders rushing the border. Right out of The Camp of the Saints.

That's where an effective border barrier (i.e., "wall") comes in.
Not the rinky-dink one about 4 miles long they just showed off, but a REAL "wall", like this one:

If you want to "keep them out", that's how you do it.
Ask the Israelis how well it's worked for them.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Many in this caravan -- and in the "caravans yet to come" (of which there will be more) -- are not going to be "stopped" by a refusal of asylum.

They will "rush the border" to get in.

The only way to STOP them from "getting in" will be the use of physical force against them. This includes men, women and children.

If we are not willing to apply such force, then we will deserve our ultimate fate, which is our country will be overwhelmed by waves of invaders rushing the border. Right out of The Camp of the Saints.

That's where an effective border barrier (i.e., "wall") comes in.
Not the rinky-dink one about 4 miles long they just showed off, but a REAL "wall", like this one:

If you want to "keep them out", that's how you do it.
Ask the Israelis how well it's worked for them.
It'll get built some day--when the liberals want to keep us IN.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis