Author Topic: The (Still) Mysterious Death of Edgar Allan Poe  (Read 631 times)

rangerrebew

The (Still) Mysterious Death of Edgar Allan Poe
« on: October 22, 2018, 05:03:28 pm »
Was the famous author killed from a beating? From carbon monoxide poisoning? From alcohol withdrawal? Here are the top nine theories

By Natasha Geiling

October 7, 2014

It was raining in Baltimore on October 3, 1849, but that didn’t stop Joseph W. Walker, a compositor for the Baltimore Sun, from heading out to Gunner’s Hall, a public house bustling with activity. It was Election Day, and Gunner’s Hall served as a pop-up polling location for the 4th Ward polls. When Walker arrived at Gunner’s Hall, he found a man, delirious and dressed in shabby second-hand clothes, lying in the gutter. The man was semi-conscious, and unable to move, but as Walker approached the him, he discovered something unexpected: the man was Edgar Allan Poe. Worried about the health of the addled poet, Walker stopped and asked Poe if he had any acquaintances in Baltimore that might be able to help him. Poe gave Walker the name of Joseph E. Snodgrass, a magazine editor with some medical training. Immediately, Walker penned Snodgrass a letter asking for help.

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/still-mysterious-death-edgar-allan-poe-180952936/#vFRf6jG4A6AtK8ou.99

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: The (Still) Mysterious Death of Edgar Allan Poe
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 05:35:23 pm »

I remember my Am. Lit. professor back in college was a Poe junkie.  His theory was the Absinthe in the day was highly toxic, and he went mad.  I sure know his stuff of the day sure seemed like someone under the influence of something,
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.