Author Topic: Looks like Elizabeth Warren won't be apologizing to the Cherokee Nation after all  (Read 510 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Looks like Elizabeth Warren won't be apologizing to the Cherokee Nation after all
by Becket Adams
 | October 19, 2018 03:11 PM

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., is actually digging in her heels on her extremely tenuous claims to Cherokee Indian heritage, even after receiving a not-at-all gentle rebuke from the Cherokee Nation itself.

I thought she would have apologized by now for her disastrous and insulting DNA stunt. It was supposed to vindicate her claim of Native American ancestry when she worked at both Harvard Law School and the University of Pennsylvania. Now it’s Friday, and it doesn’t look like an apology will be coming any time soon.

You'd think in this age of sensitivity about "cultural appropriation" and the like that a white, Democratic U.S. senator would be more careful. But at least the senator has found at least one willing supporter in the world of politics and punditry to help push back on the Cherokee Nation's criticism.

“n terms of the Cherokee Nation’s statement, I found that to be ridiculous. … I also think that the Cherokee Nation’s response was problematic because it actually ignores the fact that DNA testing historically has been used to exclude black natives from tribal affiliation,” MSNBC contributor and SiriusXM Director of Progressive Programming Zerlina Maxwell said this week. “And so, that history has been completely lost in this entire conversation, and that’s potentially very unfortunate,” she added. Ah – so now Warren is black as well?

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/looks-like-elizabeth-warren-wont-be-apologizing-to-the-cherokee-nation-after-all
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline RoosGirl

Democrats don't apologize.

Offline mountaineer

Yeah, they usually dig their heels in and double down on their false statements. Don't expect Fauxcahontas to back down at all on her Cherokee Pow Wow claims.   333cleo
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Exactly.  When has a Leftist ever apologized for lies, offenses, harm, ruin or the chaos they sow, most often deliberately?

Never.

Like radical Islam, spreading your political religion by any means, using any means, even via lies and terrorism, is perfectly righteous to them.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Lets ask a few of them that walk amoungst us for confirmation.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
It's better for our side that she does not apologize. Let the issue just hang out there, and fester with no closure. I love it.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mountaineer

This is by a lefty.
October 16, 2018
Elizabeth Warren’s Native Ancestry Response Is A Complete Disaster
After offending Cherokee people and doubling down on an indefensible claim, Warren really cannot run for president.
by Nathan J. Robinson

I like Elizabeth Warren a lot. She’s probably my second-favorite elected official. It’s only thanks to her that we have the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the best agency in the U.S. federal government. She is gutsy, smart, and she cares about the economic well-being of ordinary people.

Which is why I am so frustrated that Warren has so badly mishandled this native ancestry issue.

Obviously Donald Trump does not care about Native people. (He put a picture of Andrew Jackson in the Oval Office, for God’s sake.)   :silly:   But Warren did do something wrong here: she is not a Native American, but she identified herself as a “Native American” in the The Association of American Law Schools Directory of law professors between 1986 and 1995, and Harvard recorded her as Native American as late as 2004. At the University of Pennsylvania, she identified herself as a racial minority. She was described in the Fordham Law Review in 1997 as Harvard Law School’s first “woman of color.” Warren even contributed to a cookbook called Pow Wow Chow: A Collection of Recipes from Families of the Five Civilized Tribes: Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek & Seminole, where she listed herself as “Cherokee.” (Inexplicably, so did Warren’s husband Bruce Mann, who has even less of a claim than Warren.)  ...

I just want to first make clear why I do think this is a significant issue, even if Republicans care about it only for completely opportunistic reasons. It is wrong to claim an oppressed identity if you do not actually have that identity. Warren has reinforced incorrect conceptions of what it means to be Native American, saying at one point that she “knew her grandfather was ‘part’ Cherokee because ‘he had high cheekbones like all of the Indians.'”

Warren has focused much of her defense on proving that she did not get hired or promoted at Harvard because of her claim to Native ancestry, calling many prominent law professors as witnesses. But her claim still allowed Harvard to pat itself on the back for diversity that it did not actually have, touting her as a woman of color. This makes it more difficult for actual Native women to succeed: if Harvard believes it has a Native American law professor, when it doesn’t, then it will not feel pressured to create an opportunity for an actual Native American law professor, even if Warren was hired solely because of her contributions to bankruptcy law scholarship.  ...
Current Affairs

That's a shame.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Night Hides Not

Fauxcahontas  is apparently telling the Cherokee Nation to "put some ice on it".
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Fauxcahontas  is apparently telling the Cherokee Nation to "put some ice on it".

Heh.... LOL!!!
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775