Author Topic: Sen. Rand Paul: It's time to rethink America's relationship with Saudi Arabia -- It is not our frien  (Read 453 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Sen. Rand Paul: It's time to rethink America's relationship with Saudi Arabia -- It is not our friend
By Sen. Rand Paul | Fox News

It’s time to rethink America’s relationship with the Saudi Kingdom.

It is no surprise to most Americans that we help arm, train, equip and otherwise prop up the government of Saudi Arabia. The Saudis have long bought and paid for many politicians and for an image of moderate pro-Americanism as part of the face they show the world.

But the face presented simply is not reality. It is time to use our leverage to force change in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. We can start by cutting off our military aid and weapons sales to the kingdom.

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/sen-rand-paul-its-time-to-rethink-americas-relationship-with-saudi-arabia-it-is-not-our-friend

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Bravo. I know at least one who won't usually go along with Senator Rand Paul. I totally agree.

We basically fought the Gulf War I to protect Saudi Arabia after Sadam invaded Kuwait and it is quite easy to see why we did it, per the resources of oil at stake, they should be grateful enough on top of another invasion 12 years later that overthrew Saddam.

Most of the hijackers were Saudis on 911, another one or 2 from the other Gulf States.

We should get something in return and we can go along with them, to an extent but they have shown themselves not to be exactly trustworthy.

Paul also adds in:

The fate of Khashoggi might come as a shock to many Americans, but it’s nothing new. A U.N. report reveals that over “3,000 allegations of torture were formally recorded” against Saudi Arabia between 2009 to 2015, according to The Guardian, with the report also noting a lack of a single prosecution of an official for the conduct.

It's time to leverage some benefits back. This was not.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:01:29 am by TomSea »

Offline Absalom

Randy Paul is a windbag politico w/a big mouth and small brain.
Predictably these types radiate piety and sanctimony, impulses
that have absolutely nothing to do w/sound foreign policy.
Nations have neither allies nor friends; they simply have interests.
Our interest in the Middle East is to anchor Israel w/those such as
Saudi Arabia and Jordan.
Once a viable coalition is formed, the tasks of euthanizing Islamic
radicalism w/o the direct presence of the USA can commence,
which is paramount. All the rest is sentimental blather.
The Arabs coined the phrase, "The enemy of my enemy, is my friend."
Tattoo that phrase on the forehead of our political jackasses!!!