Author Topic: History: DR Congo’s ‘president for life’ who executed the opposition in public in broad day light  (Read 960 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
by Nduta Waweru, at 06:02 am, October 14, 2018, History
DR Congo’s ‘president for life’ who executed the opposition in public in broad day light

Many people had considered him a relatively calm person as compared to the other political leaders in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Little did they know Mobutu Sese Seko would turn out to be one of the most barbaric leaders in the country and on the continent.

Born Joseph -Désiré Mobutu on this day in 1930 in then-Belgian Congo, Mobutu is infamous for his role in the death of African icon, Patrice Lumumba.

But before all this, he was raised by his grandfather and uncle, who gave him the name Mobutu. He was also taken under the wing of the wife of his late father’s employer- a Belgian judge. Under her, he was taught how to speak, read, and write the French language fluently.  He attended school in Leopoldville and later Coquilhatville, where he excelled in sports.

! No longer available

Read more at: https://face2faceafrica.com/article/dr-congos-president-for-life-who-executed-the-opposition-in-public-in-broad-day-light

Lumumba per above, is an African Icon. I'm not sure if they thought he'd bring Communism in, I think there were fears of that. The CIA might be blamed for some of this but I'm not sure if that is true.

Offline Absalom

Execution in public from the Fertile Crescent onward was the norm
for a direct and simple reason; to send a Lima-Charlie message.
But we pious and sanctimonious moderns, gorging on brain dead yip-yap,
would take a dump in our pants, streaming tears and and faint in public.
Yet we are the greatest. Why of course!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 05:04:41 am by Absalom »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Good comment, thank you!

We have to be very careful when we get involved in foreign affairs.

Just imho, that is another good thing that has happened with this administration. Interventions are at a minimum. We will now, look at Yemen and that situation.