Author Topic: Too Much Money Is Too Good a Problem for Democratic Hopefuls  (Read 435 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Too Much Money Is Too Good a Problem for Democratic Hopefuls
« on: October 13, 2018, 05:32:46 pm »
At least 60 candidates raised more than $1 million in third quarter

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/candidates-are-raking-in-cash-now-where-do-they-spend-it

Record-breaking campaign hauls in House races across the country have left some nominees with an enviable conundrum: How can they possibly spend all the money?

At least 60 House Democratic candidates reportedly raised more than $1 million each in the third quarter of the campaign cycle that ended Sept. 30, eye-popping sums that defy even the most optimistic of projections. But with Nov. 6 less than a month away, some political observers have wondered publicly whether a candidate could have too much cash.

That was the question from the Twitterverse when Roll Call reported last week that Democrat Amy McGrath had raised an astounding $3.65 million in the third quarter — one of the largest sums reported so far — in her bid against Republican Rep. Andy Barr in Kentucky’s 6th District. “How do you even spend that much money in KY-06?? Wow!” tweeted Alixandria Lapp, president of House Majority PAC, a super PAC tied to House Democratic leadership.

More at link...

In the old day before Trump, a healthy campaign fund was a sign of a candidates strength.  The thinking went, if somebody will give you their money, they're probably going to vote for you.  Now-a-days candidates just say outrageous and irresponsible things to get more media coverage.  I'll be interested to see how fundraising affects the election in a few weeks.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Too Much Money Is Too Good a Problem for Democratic Hopefuls
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 07:30:00 pm »
This is something that has bothered me for months and expressed on here. The DNC has been broke, but the PAC's and now candidates are flush. They're trying to make it look like it's $5 and$10 here, but I call BS on that.

Whatever it is, the Dems have pulled some slicky switcheroo on how they fund themselves, and they are getting oil tankers full of money from I assume very rich liberals.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 04:24:10 pm »
This is something that has bothered me for months and expressed on here. The DNC has been broke, but the PAC's and now candidates are flush. They're trying to make it look like it's $5 and$10 here, but I call BS on that.

Whatever it is, the Dems have pulled some slicky switcheroo on how they fund themselves, and they are getting oil tankers full of money from I assume very rich liberals.

This is reflecting the youth. They noted DNC corruption in 2016, and focus on candidates. You'd be hard pressed to find young people itching to give to the DNC, but they'll gladly support a progressive candidate.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 09:12:16 pm »
This is reflecting the youth. They noted DNC corruption in 2016, and focus on candidates. You'd be hard pressed to find young people itching to give to the DNC, but they'll gladly support a progressive candidate.

The numbers are way too big. Take Amy McGrath in KY-06. For her to raise $3.65M in the third quarter would mean every registered Dem in her district gave $10. Not going to happen.

Betting most is outside money, not $5 donations as the Dems try to make it look like.

The youth are way too disengaged to come up with that kind of coin, nationwide.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:13:02 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 03:14:59 am »

:amen: