Author Topic: GOP sees new hope to expand Senate majority  (Read 676 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP sees new hope to expand Senate majority
« on: October 10, 2018, 09:40:32 pm »
GOP sees new hope to expand Senate majority
By Max Greenwood - 10/10/18 04:42 PM EDT

Republicans are increasingly optimistic about their chances of expanding their narrow Senate majority after the polarizing confirmation battle over Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

In the weeks since a series of sexual misconduct allegations were raised against Kavanaugh, the GOP has seen candidates in the Republican strongholds of Texas and Tennessee strengthen their positions, putting possible upset bids by Democrats on hold.

Republicans are increasingly bullish on their chances of gaining a seat in North Dakota, where Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D) has seen Republican Rep. Kevin Cramer pull ahead in polls. They also believe they can defeat Sen. Claire McCaskill (D) in Missouri. Both Democrats voted against Kavanaugh's confirmation.

“If you look at the polling we’ve seen in the last four or five days, it’s become clear that states like North Dakota and Missouri are moving in the Republicans’ direction,” said Matt Mackowiak, a GOP strategist.

“Most importantly, the opportunity that existed for Democrats in Tennessee and Texas looks like it's on the way out,” he said.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/410847-gop-sees-new-hope-to-expand-senate-majority
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: GOP sees new hope to expand Senate majority
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 10:02:41 pm »
Also AZ, MT, IN and FL.  The RCP polls in these states show the Dem ahead, but I find it hard to believe that at least two of them won't turn.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 10:06:45 pm »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say we'll end up with 56 in the Senate.
The Republic is lost.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 10:21:31 pm »

Which Dem Senators are in races that are clearly out of reach for the GOP (for example, races currently suggesting a 20- or 25-point spread for the Dems)?   The reason why I ask that is because I believe the GOP will win every single race that is even (rather) remotely possible for a GOP victory. 

And if that especially optimistic scenario comes true, how many Republicans would we wind up with in the 2019 Senate?

Offline verga

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 10:33:33 pm »
BKMK
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 10:39:55 pm »
Which Dem Senators are in races that are clearly out of reach for the GOP (for example, races currently suggesting a 20- or 25-point spread for the Dems)?   The reason why I ask that is because I believe the GOP will win every single race that is even (rather) remotely possible for a GOP victory. 

And if that especially optimistic scenario comes true, how many Republicans would we wind up with in the 2019 Senate?

Safe Dems, according to RCP are:

CA: Feinstein (D)   CT: Murphy (D)
DE: Carper (D)   HI: Hirono (D)
ME: King (I)   MD: Cardin (D)
MA: Warren (D)   MN1: Klobuchar (D)
NY: Gillibrand (D)WA: Cantwell (D)
VT: Sanders (I)   VA: Kaine (D)
NM: Heinrich (D)   RI: Whitehouse (D)

There are 7 Toss Ups and 4 Leans Dem. Heitkamp's seat in ND is now Lean Rep, and 4 of the Toss Ups are currently Dem seats.

If we ran the table of Toss Ups and Leans Dem we'd have 59.

Remember that say an 10 point lead is only a 5 point swing. Nothing under 15% is really safe at this point, just under a month out.

Linky:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/senate/2018_elections_senate_map.html
The Republic is lost.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 11:14:30 pm »

There are 7 Toss Ups and 4 Leans Dem. Heitkamp's seat in ND is now Lean Rep, and 4 of the Toss Ups are currently Dem seats.

If we ran the table of Toss Ups and Leans Dem we'd have 59.

Remember that say an 10 point lead is only a 5 point swing. Nothing under 15% is really safe at this point, just under a month out.

Linky:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/senate/2018_elections_senate_map.html

Okay, I say we'll wind up with 62.

(Don't ask me for any detailed reasons for my optimism.  I haven't sorted out such details.)   

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 12:28:47 am »

(Don't ask me for any detailed reasons for my optimism.  I haven't sorted out such details.)

I hope you are right.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 12:40:37 am »

Political momentum is weird. We saw that with Trump. He was surging so fast at the end that the polls couldn't keep up with it. And, he won.

62 is a long shot, but not outside the realm of possibility.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 02:07:51 am »
Vulcan wrote:
"I'm going to go out on a limb and say we'll end up with 56 in the Senate."

I hope so.
I had figured 54 or maybe 55.

But there's sumthin' I can't quite get:
If Republicans and independents vote for the Republican ticket for Senator (presumably because they are "voting against" the democrat-communists), aren't they going to vote for the Republican ticket for the House, as well...?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 02:09:20 am by Fishrrman »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 04:44:18 am »

Start selling those chickens on the futures market.

I think the rats will sweep all the open, contested and seats not yet up for election and hold 100 seats.
( Don't ask me for detailed reasons either.)

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 04:51:17 am »
Start selling those chickens on the futures market.

I think the rats will sweep all the open, contested and seats not yet up for election and hold 100 seats.
( Don't ask me for detailed reasons either.)

Looking bad for your party these days. I know you had your hopes high on what CNN and PMSLSD were selling, but it doesn't look like it's panning out.

Better luck in 2020. I hear you got Biden coming up to bat......for the 4th time. Might be the charm.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 05:52:03 am »
@Free Vulcan

CA: Feinstein (D)   CT: Murphy (D)
    DE: Carper (D)   HI: Hirono (D)
    ME: King (I)   MD: Cardin (D)
    MA: Warren (D)   MN1: Klobuchar (D)
    NY: Gillibrand (D)WA: Cantwell (D)
    VT: Sanders (I)   VA: Kaine (D)
    NM: Heinrich (D)   RI: Whitehouse (D)

I'd crawl over broken glass to vote against that guy.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 01:31:15 pm »
To-Whose wrote:
"CT: Murphy (D)
I'd crawl over broken glass to vote against that guy"

I'll be voting against him next month.
But no matter -- he's still gonna win by 15 points.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 01:37:18 pm »

@Free Vulcan

I said 55 months ago and will stick to that but 57 or 58 is not impossible now according to my tea leaf reading.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 01:37:47 pm »
Looking bad for your party these days. I know you had your hopes high on what CNN and PMSLSD were selling, but it doesn't look like it's panning out.

Better luck in 2020. I hear you got Biden coming up to bat......for the 4th time. Might be the charm.

my party...That joke gets funnier every time you slander me. :laugh:

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2018, 06:19:46 pm »
Republicans hold the House, narrowly, and gain four seats in the Senate.  60 and 62 seats in the Senate and I have to ask, what exactly are you smoking? 

Unfortunately, Trump still will not have a voting majority in the Senate for those things that require 60 votes, and the Democommies are NOT going to end their resistance/abdicative approach to governance.

All one needs to know is that the Democommies will continue to become less relevant, and they will not comprehend that what they are doing is self destructive.  So, in 2020 when Trump wins once more over HRC, and they once again lose more seats, the stage is set for eight years to live life in America without ANY involvement by the Democommies. 

And George Soros can't live forever, and I do not see his children squandering their wealth on anarchy like their father.

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 08:04:52 pm »
60 and 62 seats in the Senate and I have to ask, what exactly are you smoking? 

@jafo2010
If you quote or ping somebody they know you are talking to them.